Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times

Advertisements

My 15-year-old daughter currently is barely speaking to me because I wouldn't let her spend the night with 4 boys and another girl at one kid's house. It wasn't a graduation party, birthday party, or a lock-in. The kids had just gathered at one house and all but my daughter were spending the night. This is the second time this has come up.

My question is not "Should I or shoudn't I let her?" because my husband and I and are not going to let her do this.

Rather, I'm wondering if this is a "thing" now. Parents of teens: Do kids in your community have boy/girl sleepovers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Rather, I'm wondering if this is a "thing" now. Parents of teens: Do kids in your community have boy/girl sleepovers?
Not a thing now.... it has been around a while, since ~2000 that I know of.
My kids were not allowed to coed sleepovers either.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,919,172 times
Terrible idea. While teenage boy-girl parties - adequately supervised - are great, sleepovers are asking for trouble. What are these parents thinking?? (ARE they thinking??)

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
I allowed it, but not as a casual spur-of-the-moment thing. It was always in conjunction with some sort of celebration, and after I spoke with the parents to make sure of supervision.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
No, it is not a thing where we live.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,402,604 times
What?! That is ridiculous for parents to allow kids on a coed sleepover. You might as well just let the boy or girl sleep over at your house. Then you would have a modicum of control.

I could see if it was a lock in or senior prom.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 AM

92 posts, read 190,053 times
No not something that is happening--not where I live now (a conservative area) not where I lived before (super progressive area). Good for you for putting your foot down. Totally inappropriate.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,906,118 times
Yes, this seems to be a 'thing' here in NC. It has come up for us a few times, along with co ed campouts.

Parties run late, then you have a choice of going to get your child at midnight or 1 am, OR letting her drive home herself, OR sleeping over.

My daughter just turned 17 and slept over at a friends house for his birthday. Parents were there to supervise. I'm not crazy about it. Boys were upstairs in the host's bedroom and girls slept downstairs in the den. I know that particular mother to be particularly watchful.

I don't make hard and fast rules, I evaluate each request on its own merits, so I would not necessarily let her do it again. It would just depend on the circumstances.

I let her do a one night coed campout once...parent supervised. It was a Gay-Straight Alliance event, most of the kids were gay, so who knows who was sleeping with whom?????

Spur of the moment for a 15 year old? Nope! You absolutely did the right thing.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,714,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My 15-year-old daughter currently is barely speaking to me because I wouldn't let her spend the night with 4 boys and another girl at one kid's house. It wasn't a graduation party, birthday party, or a lock-in. The kids had just gathered at one house and all but my daughter were spending the night. This is the second time this has come up.

My question is not "Should I or shoudn't I let her?" because my husband and I and are not going to let her do this.

Yes.....and we never had a problem with inappropriate behavior.....I'd much rather they all crash at my house then be off running around the city. Most of the times they would fall asleep watching movies on the living room floor. If parents are home and supervising. ...I don't see what the problem is.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,307,623 times
When my kids were younger they would have sleepovers for their birthday. The birthday kid could invite 4-5 friends, and the sibling (opposite gender) could invite ONE friend. When it came time to sleep, the opposite child and his/her pal would go upstairs and the slumber party people would stay in the family room.

This year my daughter turned 11 years it and it was the first time we did NOT allow our son to invite a friend over. Those days are over. I feel co-ed is fine when the kids are younger, but not once they are nearing tween age. And certainly NEVER as a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting