Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:57 PM

40 posts, read 47,547 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your help. The reason he is struggling is because he is in "accelerated English" and wih Common core Standards, they can only spend one day on a topic because they are learning 10-11th grade stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,725,393 times
Glad we could help solve the mystery. Best wishes.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,589,455 times
Be strict; this is just a tantrum. I'm studying to be a teacher, and the rule is, "be friendly, but don't ever be their friend." Like it or not, they have plenty of friends, and, even they don't, they have to come up to your level; you never come down to theirs. You are the role model and teacher. They may say that they hate you and your ways, but, nine times out of ten, if you stick to your rules, they will grow up and embrace many of the values they were taught at home. If you give in, though, you are simply teaching your child that being lazy and demanding is a good way to get what he wants out of life; that's a horrible lesson.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,476,809 times
Our son threatened to "run away" once...much younger than your son's age tho...think it was about 8 or 9.

Told him he was welcome to go, but had to leave EVERYTHING behind...including the clothes he was wearing. Told him God gave him to us buck A$$ naked, and if it was his desire to leave before we were done raising him then he was leaving the same way we got him. He never mentioned it again....

Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,739,350 times
Beera, love your story. Good for you!

When I was 20 and hubby was 24, his little brother started running away, staying out all night and partying. Hubby's mom got incredibly angry with us when we told him he could come stay with us for a little while. She thought we were just enabling her "soon to be 16" son. They all got quite the surprise. Things were much stricter at OUR house for him, than it had been at home with his parents. He HAD to do homework. He had CHORES, for the first time in his life! He could not go to drinking parties. He was not allowed to drink at our home, either. Things did not go as he imagined they would and after less than 2 weeks, he decided to go back home.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Our son threatened to "run away" once...much younger than your son's age tho...think it was about 8 or 9.

Told him he was welcome to go, but had to leave EVERYTHING behind...including the clothes he was wearing. Told him God gave him to us buck A$$ naked, and if it was his desire to leave before we were done raising him then he was leaving the same way we got him. He never mentioned it again....
I have never heard that strategy before but it seems like a very good one. That sounds like a better approach than parents that offer to pack a suitcase & a sandwich as it really makes children/young teens realize how they do not actually own anything at all and have very limited resources.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have never heard that strategy before but it seems like a very good one. That sounds like a better approach than parents that offer to pack a suitcase & a sandwich as it really makes children/young teens realize how they do not actually own anything at all and have very limited resources.

Yeah....hahahaha...

It kinda takes the wind out of your sails, when you realize that ....well, you really have NOTHING! Generally, they're just running away. They don't even have a plan! LOL

Some, actually do come up with a plan, "I'll just go stay with so and so. My BF said, '"My mom would probably be okay with it."' The trouble is....once they leave the house and get to BF's house....ole mom or dad, turns out, is totally NOT okay with it. Oops!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
When a teenager says they hate you... they really don't. The are using that word as a weapon to get what they want. They just aren't mature enough to understand how that word hurts. They will regret it later in life. Sticking cotton in your ears might help for the next few years.
I agree with your posts...except for the bolded text. This statement is wrong. Believe me, they DO know how badly those words hurt. It is WHY they're saying those words. Those words hurt THEM more deeply than anything else hurts them. That's how they know how bad they hurt.

When someone a child trusts and truly cares for, or considers their best friend, says, "I HATE YOU!!", after the initial anger wears off, the pain which sets in, is generally devastating. I'm sorry....but by the time a child is 3 or 4 years old.....most of them understand perfectly, just how bad those words hurt. That's why people say them to each other.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I didn't mind letting him take a suitcase of clothing and a sandwich. He "ran away" to some bushes across a field from our house. He stayed there for about 20 minutes when he realized he didn't bring anything to drink and he was thirsty...needless to say, he figured it out on his own and never had a problem again .

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,830,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Beera, love your story. Good for you!

When I was 20 and hubby was 24, his little brother started running away, staying out all night and partying. Hubby's mom got incredibly angry with us when we told him he could come stay with us for a little while. She thought we were just enabling her "soon to be 16" son. They all got quite the surprise. Things were much stricter at OUR house for him, than it had been at home with his parents. He HAD to do homework. He had CHORES, for the first time in his life! He could not go to drinking parties. He was not allowed to drink at our home, either. Things did not go as he imagined they would and after less than 2 weeks, he decided to go back home.
LOL My mom did that with my niece... less than a month, she went back to her mom's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting