Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,712,807 times

Advertisements

+++Why insult their parenting technique? +++

Because that is not parenting....it's being a bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I was a very picky eater. My parents tried the power struggle of "you will sit there until you eat that particular food!" and it never worked for them. I was more stubborn and I literally sat at the table for 5 hours once and still wouldn't eat it. Finally the rule became that they didn't make separate meals for me, but I was allowed to make a sandwich if I hated what we were having. I eat a much larger variety of foods now, but there are still things I won't eat (seafood, carrots, etc), so I know I'm not setting the best example.

My four-year-old is picky like I was.

My kids are told they must taste the dinner I prepared, and then if they don't like it they are free to get up and make a sandwich (even the 4-year-old can do that). Many times they are surprised they like it and eat everything on their plates. Other times they make a face and then get up. There's no other pressure on them, and I've found that over time they are willing to try foods again. I also offer "extra" sauces to them - ketchup or barbecue sauce cures many things, a teeny dribble of honey over a ham steak makes them excited, and the occasional ranch dip results in them eating me out of celery and carrots and broccoli.

My 8-year-old is now eating relatively normally. The 6-year-old always ate well.

This week the 4-year-old actually ate real meals every night, which is unusual. He's been "helping" me cook some nights, and I think that really does help. I've also been letting him choose which veggies we have every night (I give him two choices), and he tends to eat them even if he originally said "I don't like that!"
That's pretty much the way I did it -- I don't force feed, I wouldn't like to be forced to eat something I didn't like and I don't do that to others. I don't make the family dinner table a battle zone and I don't want to create eating and food issues.

There is pretty much only wholesome food choices in my house to begin with and if a child doesn't like or even thinks he doesn't like what is being served, he can make a sandwich or get a bowl of cereal. No big deal either way. I don't even force them to try the food they're saying they don't like.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
+++Why insult their parenting technique? +++

Because that is not parenting....it's being a bully.
And I question why someone would ever send a child to bed hungry. That's cruel and completely unnecessary.

A bowl of raisin bran or a peanut butter sandwich is a perfectly valid meal option.

In my opinion, kids should be taught the real reason for eating is nutrition --- not to show submissiveness to parents or others and also isn't about domination over anyone, and not to gain parental love. Your own tastebuds are yours, just like mine are mine. If you love carrots but don't love lima beans -- who cares?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why make it a power struggle when there are other options that don't require catering to the picky eater, but doesn't starve them either. You must be a joy to be around if you honestly think that this is how to raise a child.

That is more or less what we do. And there is no power struggle. Eat or don't eat. No skin off my nose. I think it is a great skill to impart on ones kids to be able to politely eat what they don't "like".

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is more or less what we do. And there is no power struggle. Eat or don't eat. No skin off my nose. I think it is a great skill to impart on ones kids to be able to politely eat what they don't "like".
Well --- it could help them if they want to go on Fear Factor.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well --- it could help them if they want to go on Fear Factor.
I found it helpful when placed in social situations in which it would have been rude to refuse what was served. I find it helpful when I want to make a favorite for one family member that I don't care for. I find it helpful when any other consideration about meal planning, from budgets to convenience, play a role in menu choices.

For my part, the going to bed "hungry" thing is just stupid. This

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethi...w=1366&bih=579

is hunger. Being unwilling to eat a perfectly normal meal and having an ache in your stomach is an education.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,380,602 times
My sister and I were raised to eat what we were served. I had a friend whose mom allowed an alternative. However they were completely on their own in obtaining the alternative.

As a parent I was willing to make reasonable accommodations. Making a special meal was completely out of the question. They were allowed to fend for themselves if they didn't like the meal. When we were at someone else's house, they were to eat what was being served.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My sister and I were raised to eat what we were served. I had a friend whose mom allowed an alternative. However they were completely on their own in obtaining the alternative.

As a parent I was willing to make reasonable accommodations. Making a special meal was completely out of the question. They were allowed to fend for themselves if they didn't like the meal. When we were at someone else's house, they were to eat what was being served.
We invited a family to dinner. We were serving roast chicken. No liver and onions or any whacky stuff. Mom proceeded to make her 2 children completely different meals from my refrigerator because her kids did not "like" what was being served. I was embarrassed for her. Of course never invited them back. Which is a shame. One kid "would" only eat chicken nuggets. Cuz that is healthy.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
Quote:
I think it is a great skill to impart on ones kids to be able to politely eat what they don't "like".
Quote:
I found it helpful when placed in social situations in which it would have been rude to refuse what was served.
These are both very good points. We seem to have so many friends whose kids will only eat particular brands or recipes. We went out to dinner with another family recently and 2 of their 3 kids wouldn't eat anything, ages 12 and 13. It was a nice Italian restaurant, so nothing weird. I thought it rather sad.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
These are both very good points. We seem to have so many friends whose kids will only eat particular brands or recipes. We went out to dinner with another family recently and 2 of their 3 kids wouldn't eat anything, ages 12 and 13. It was a nice Italian restaurant, so nothing weird. I thought it rather sad.
Yah. We went somewhere as a large group including a family whose Mom took so long micromanaging the ordering of her 2 kids' foods that the waitress had to wait on other tables before coming back to the rest of the table. If the kids cannot order of the menu, they should not be there. The birthday girl whom we were celebrating was one of the people who did not get to place an order until much later. Kinda not the point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting