Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM

328 posts, read 468,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Did I see a computer tablet for each child in that list? I think those qualify as pretty extravagant gifts, at least they would in our household.
We are getting a deal due to job. Nearly 30% off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,660,805 times
You actually do not owe a child of any age an explaination for anything you do as a parent.
Be the adult, get her whatever gift you choose to give her and leave it at that.
It might be better to make a donation in her name to a children's charity or research hospital for children.
She might learn the value of giving to others and quit having the expectation of every whim or desire being fulfilled.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,660,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
We are getting a deal due to job. Nearly 30% off.

30% off is not really a good enough deal to purchase each prince and princess in your household a tablet.
Have you figured in the extra cost of having those tablets on a data plan?
You stated you are sick of the entitlement mentality of children yet you think giving them all tablets is not adding fuel to the entitlement fire?
How much homework do you really think those tablets are going to generate?
Get one desktop computer for the entire household to use, set parental controls so no games are played and make sure homework is the only thing that is done on that computer.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,516,706 times
I still think tablets are a pretty extravagant gift, but I'd like to point out that they do not require a data plan; I use wifi at home, at work, at the library, at my kids' school, at the local coffee shop, etc. I'm just careful about what I access on-line, depending on my location (e.g., no on-line banking at Starbucks).

Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,882,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Honestly, looking back, my only regret growing up is that I wish my parents had been more forthcoming about finances. .
<had to cut 99% of excellent post for brevity>

I have the same regret. My parents never really talked to any of us (and there's 7!) about money, budgeting, large purchases, credit cards, etc. We've all made serious mistakes. And like you, when I planned to move out for the first time, I did my own research and was flabbergasted. Then, like you, I made my parents sit down with me to talk about money. Now, by that age, I already had a checking account, and was doing my own taxes (very basic), but I knew NOTHING about consumerism in general.

Growing up, I Knew my parents had financial limits due to the fact I heard all my life, "we can't afford it." So, when it came to my Christmas list, I knew I listed more than what I would actually receive, but I figured I was giving my parents a choice of items they could buy that I would really like. Now, multiply that by 7, and I knew the reality in which I lived.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM

328 posts, read 468,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
30% off is not really a good enough deal to purchase each prince and princess in your household a tablet.
Have you figured in the extra cost of having those tablets on a data plan?
You stated you are sick of the entitlement mentality of children yet you think giving them all tablets is not adding fuel to the entitlement fire?
How much homework do you really think those tablets are going to generate?
Get one desktop computer for the entire household to use, set parental controls so no games are played and make sure homework is the only thing that is done on that computer.
These are becoming necessary for school. 'Tis not the 80's anymore. This is indeed the computer generation. They are not fancy pants iThisandthats...but sturdy, practical machines. I use mine all the time, and you don't have to pay extra for it. They are more convenient than a desktop and you can do the same things on them. Gone are the days of the encyclopedia...

I'm paying $250 for both total and I see that as a real deal.

My son is the gamer, but he likes console games (like Xbox...and they already have that). I think I can live with finding my 8 year old playing chess on it in the bathroom instead of researching grasshoppers.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM

297 posts, read 846,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
I'm unsure about how to approach her

Please don't think like this in terms of your child.

You don't need to explain to her why you aren't going to buy everything she thinks she wants. That's not a middle school thing, it's a bratty thing.

Sorry!

Last edited by 2blessed2stress; 12-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,035,140 times
And, really, I have a problem with Christmas lists. A gift is something the giver gives out of kindness and/or because he thinks you should have it. If you have demanded it on a list, it isn't really a gift anymore. The concept of a list actually helps create the entitlement, doesn't it?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,882,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
And, really, I have a problem with Christmas lists. A gift is something the giver gives out of kindness and/or because he thinks you should have it. If you have demanded it on a list, it isn't really a gift anymore. The concept of a list actually helps create the entitlement, doesn't it?
No. Why do you look at it as a demand? I think that's what you need to ponder.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,653,322 times
We're playing to gift game until they hit middle school...as soon as each one has reached middle school, they'll get a gift card to toys r us....or whatever store they might be into then for $100. We're not made out of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting