Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,184,996 times

Advertisements

My 15 yr old boy is 5'8" 140 lbs - he is thin, but by no means does he look unhealthy. He is a serious athlete and swims a couple of miles a day - it's all muscle. He also has a very healthy diet, no junk food, no soda. I don't know what is required for wrestling training, but if your boy is very active and training he should look good, not gaunt and sickly. That would alarm me too.

As a side note, several times a year we use a restricted vegan type diet - no meat, sweeteners, dairy, bread. My son did it with me last week and he dropped about a pound a day. He is back on a regular, balanced diet this week because 140 lbs is where he needs to be.

I wish you well with figuring out the best diet and activities for your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
I have been thinking of this thread and I was wondering when he will be doing his weight class certification. He may not get certified at 122.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
He's close to the 132 or 138 weight classes.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He's close to the 132 or 138 weight classes.
High school wrestlers have to go through a weight certification process. After the child passes a hydration test the assessor looks at the child's height, weight and body fat %. Then they set the minimum weight class for that child as well as a reasonable timetable for the child to get to that weight.

If he is not certified for the 122 lb weight class (middle school weight class, not high school) the OP doesn't really need to worry about him going that low. All states do weight certification for high school. I don't know if they do it for middle school wrestling but I assume they do.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,864,147 times
He will not be wrestling at 122 as his parents or coach will not let him wrestle that low. He has the hydration test this week along with the body fat %.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
He will not be wrestling at 122 as his parents or coach will not let him wrestle that low. He has the hydration test this week along with the body fat %.
If he doesn't get certified for that weight class then you can add another voice to the chorus. I think the weight certification can help you make the point to him that he does not need to lose weight.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,246,873 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the opinions. I read them all and have a few responses.
My son was 150lbs in the middle of sept this year. Two/three weeks later he was 142 and a week after that he was 138 and then last week told me he was 136lbs. I have never ener spoken to him until the past few weeks about weight as I know he was always at the top edge of his weight. He was 170 in July of 2012. At that stage he began football and wrestling. I agree that 150 is a decent healthy weight for a child that is one of the tallest in his class.

However when a child weight is falling off his face, this bones are apparent and his clothes are falling off him, there is cause for concern. I noticed he is not eating as much, working out for two hours daily and asking for a gym membership. I spoke to his teachers and wrestling coach and they are also concerned.

The point of the post here was to know if anyone else ran into this problem and what you did. His coach and teacher have spoken to him and shared their concerns with him. Some other boys have spoken to my other son sharing their concerns.

Thanks
Dorothy I do wish you and your son the best. I'm sure with the between the blood test and wrestling season starting you will get some answers.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,873,866 times
OP how was the therapist appointment? I hear and understand your concern. In my opinion when a person goes to an extreme with weight and behaviors even if it stated it is for wrestling there is more behind it mentally. Risking ones life and health to be a wrestler is extreme. The issue is sometimes a person will start losing weight for what ever reason but then it takes a turn where it becomes something different. Whether that be wanting to feel in control, to deal with emotions, issues and so forth. When you become malnourished it impacts your brain and it makes it that much harder to get out.
OP there is this forum called around the dinner table. It is a forum who have children with eating disorders both boys and girls and parents give advice and support. It may give you insight from parents who have been in similar situation with sports and extreme weight loss and other flags you should look for.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,864,147 times
Well this week was a good week. He ate well, put on 2 lbs and made student of the month.

His coach and also the medic who works full-time for the school spoke to him and told him the min weight for him to wrestle should be 134. The coach wants him at 145 ; which to me is a decent weight. I think it stuck with him.
Not out of the woods yet, but seems like we have narrowed it down.

Thank you for all your opinions.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Well this week was a good week. He ate well, put on 2 lbs and made student of the month.

His coach and also the medic who works full-time for the school spoke to him and told him the min weight for him to wrestle should be 134. The coach wants him at 145 ; which to me is a decent weight. I think it stuck with him.
Not out of the woods yet, but seems like we have narrowed it down.

Thank you for all your opinions.
I'm glad to hear it! BTW-My son will also be wrestling at 145. They are nearly the same height although my son is a year older. He currently weighs 149 and looks healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting