Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,834,737 times

Advertisements

Since you are on the right track with going to the doctor and keeping on top of it etc, I was thinking maybe the coach can tell him that he will ONLY let him wrestle in X weight. So then if your son isn't in that weight range, he can't wrestle. That way you aren't making him quit but compromising. I also agree with the therapy if all medical is ruled out. I didn't see anyone else ask this, is he by chance on any ADHD meds? I know my brother lost an incredible amount of weight on those meds to where they had to alternate dosage times to give him a chance to develop an appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Depends how far along in "publicity" he is. At the ages of 12 to 15 some kids (boys in particular) get fat for a year or two or three and then BOOM! they lose weight and become skinny. I know I did. I was a skinny little kid weighing 50 lbs for I'd say 4 years and when I hit publicity, I blew up to 160 lbs (before I even grew any taller). One day, at the age of around 15, I got this terrific illness (have no idea what it was...only lasted one day, complete prostration, shaking chills, but a rapid recovery (like, 24 hours); followed by the way, by a second very brief episode of chills like you wouldn't believe [about 3 months later]); in the next 4 to 6 months I turned back into a skinny, then 16 year old, the skinny phase of which (by the way) persisted until I was at least 40, despite eating like a pig all those years.

I gotta feeling its hormones (I think Pineal-Hypothalamus blast - temperature regulation is carried out in the hypothalamus by the way, probably gets secondarily involved). I had a brother and some male friends who had similar experiences. Back off. Get a hobby.
Whoah. The kid is not experiencing normal hormonal weight fluctuations, he's controlling his eating in what could possibly be a pre anorexic state. Depriving himself of food at this young age could have a catastrophic effect on his health, not to mention mental state.

Back off and get a hobby is not an option of they want to make sure the kid is okay. Sheesh.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Depends how far along in "publicity" he is. At the ages of 12 to 15 some kids (boys in particular) get fat for a year or two or three and then BOOM! they lose weight and become skinny. I know I did. I was a skinny little kid weighing 50 lbs for I'd say 4 years and when I hit publicity,
What the heck is "publicity"?

If you mean puberty, that is the prime time eating/weight issues start. Finsterrufus's post is spot on.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-03-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 12:33 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
Maybe he's embarrassed to be wrestling 165 lbs.

I know my brother didn't wrestle just because he was 14 and would have to wrestle in 185 lbs., whereas his friends would wrestle 125 lbs.

I kept telling him it's okay because a lot taller and bigger than his friends, but he equated it to being fat. Which he's not. He's got really broad shoulders.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,058,895 times
Let me know when you find an answer. Although I'm an adult now, I have always been very underweight.

Currently 6'1", 130lbs.

I think some people are just like that.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I did speak to the wrestling coach who spoke to my son. He does not want him to wrestle 135 ; last year he wrestled 165. My son is also saying to his brother that next year he wants to wrestle 122!! The coach is the same as yours ; he does not want the kids to loose weight to wrestle lighter ; that is totally in my sons mind.
I think that 150 is a very good weight for him ; he does not have a small frame and so 150 is decent. If he brings lunch from home; he brings a sandwich (peanut butter) and a tub of fruit ; strawberries or watermelon. 4 weeks ago he was 150, so loosing 14 lbs in a month for a growing teenager is not a good thing.
Thank you for taking this seriously and following up with your son's healthcare provider. Anorexia and bulimia are also disorders of young men as well as young girls. If you haven't already, also look into blood glucose and insulin levels...

Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
We had all the bloods done ; checked his cholesterol etc. Everything except bilrubin came back within normal limits. There is no obesity in our family ; We are all tall and considering this son was born a preemie, he caught up very quickly and is doing fantastically at school. His normal eating habits were good ; he always had a great appetite and has always been in the 99% ; except for at birth (4lbs at 32 weeks).

Its the fixation on exercise ; this morning he spent two hours at wrestling practice and now wants to take a 2 mile walk with the dog. While some people think I am over reacting ; I know my son and am definately concerned when people ask me what is wrong with him ; how come his cheeks are sunken, how come his clothes are hanging off him, how come he is very bony. He also shelters himself and while he has friends, he does not hang out with others or have them over to our house. My other son is 14, 9th grade and over 180 but he is also a football player, eats plenty and understands the need for food in his body.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,209,594 times
"Publicity" is when hair begins to grow "down there."

I read the followups and this kid just may be going into his skinny days but who knows. Early teenagers can look creepy...but..maybe there is something going on As for anthing medical these days, she needs to get a second opinion. There are more than a few "dull knives" practicing medicine these days.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
"Publicity" is when hair begins to grow "down there."

I read the followups and this kid just may be going into his skinny days but who knows. Early teenagers can look creepy...but..maybe there is something going on As for anthing medical these days, she needs to get a second opinion. There are more than a few "dull knives" practicing medicine these days.
PUBERTY is when "hair grows down there," among other things.

The kid's weight/height combo is not the issue here. It's his fixation on exercise and LOSING weight.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,884,517 times
My husband used to wrestle back in HS, going to State and Nationals. Even he scoffed at the 122 goal. He said its good that the coach isn't going to allow him to wrestle @ 122, but also said the coach needs to get in the boy's face and tell him simply that he's growing into the weight he's supposed to be and that there's nothing wrong with going up--so get used to it. That's what his coach used to say to the other wrestlers because even they had that obsession with going all the way down to that weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting