Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Age
9 and under 15 29.41%
10-11 13 25.49%
12-13 11 21.57%
14-15 7 13.73%
16 and over 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Stockholm Sweden and most kids walked to and from school by them self in first grade. My son who is now in second grade are not even allowed to go outside by himself. Granted we live in a large city but still. Times has changed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 AM

95 posts, read 171,048 times
We were having mountain lion problems at the bus stop for awhile, so I never left my kids there by themselves. A nice kitty followed our neighbor girl home and was sitting in her front yard. It was a sick adult female mountain lion, lol. Her mom nearly had a stroke when the little girl told her the kitty cat was hungry and drug her mom to the window, lol.

We recently moved out of the hills and into a suburb. Now the kids ride their scooters to and from school with their cousins and several neighbors.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I grew up in Stockholm Sweden and most kids walked to and from school by them self in first grade. My son who is now in second grade are not even allowed to go outside by himself. Granted we live in a large city but still. Times has changed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Times haven't changed, you just live in a different place. Most children still walk by themselves in first grade (there was a news article earlier this year that said how preschoolers were complaining that it was too embarrassing to have their parents walk them to school!) here and I'm sure its the same in Sweden still.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Times have changed. There was a recent thread on this forum about allowing children to go into a public bathroom at a public park. MOST parents agreed they would go in with their child until a certain age and then stand directly outside the door until they came out, when older. This is no different. Walking to school means (for most people) walking by cars that are driving to work or possibly looking for trouble.

DD is in 2nd grade and has a bus stop directly across from our house. I walk her outside and wait with her. Does that make me overbearing? Why should she have to wait in the dark by herself for the bus? That would just be lazy of me.

I dont mind that other parents allow it, and if there were alot of other kids around, maybe i would feel differently. My point is.. times have definitely changed.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Times have changed. There was a recent thread on this forum about allowing children to go into a public bathroom at a public park. MOST parents agreed they would go in with their child until a certain age and then stand directly outside the door until they came out, when older. This is no different. Walking to school means (for most people) walking by cars that are driving to work or possibly looking for trouble.

DD is in 2nd grade and has a bus stop directly across from our house. I walk her outside and wait with her. Does that make me overbearing? Why should she have to wait in the dark by herself for the bus? That would just be lazy of me.

I dont mind that other parents allow it, and if there were alot of other kids around, maybe i would feel differently. My point is.. times have definitely changed.
"Times" have not changed. Parents may be more nervous but the crime rate is way down in the last two decades and hovers close to where it was in the early 60s. When you choose to allow your children to use a public bathroom or walk to the bus stop is your decision but let's not perpetrate the myth that the world is a more dangerous place, cause it isn't.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
"Times" have not changed. Parents may be more nervous but the crime rate is way down in the last two decades and hovers close to where it was in the early 60s. When you choose to allow your children to use a public bathroom or walk to the bus stop is your decision but let's not perpetrate the myth that the world is a more dangerous place, cause it isn't.
It isn't a myth but a matter of how we are living. Take my hometown for instance. It was a wonderful place to grow up in and I never wanted to leave. Then it started changing, more people "discovered" it and came in droves. Crime did go up. I left that city over 10 years ago and I heard it's worse and worse. Most of my family left and won't look back.

I think what's changed is that a lot of people may have lived in a quiet/smaller town/city etc and move to a larger metro or their place grew and changed dramatically. Thus the perception that crime is on the rise or wouldn't let their children do what they used to do as a child.

I know for myself, that's what I am going through and my kid is in 7th grade but I won't let her (nor does she want to) go by herself to the bus stop and wait by herself. If there were other kids, then sure. But not by herself and the bus is more often late so we have to wait about 10-15 minutes.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It isn't a myth but a matter of how we are living. Take my hometown for instance. It was a wonderful place to grow up in and I never wanted to leave. Then it started changing, more people "discovered" it and came in droves. Crime did go up. I left that city over 10 years ago and I heard it's worse and worse. Most of my family left and won't look back.

I think what's changed is that a lot of people may have lived in a quiet/smaller town/city etc and move to a larger metro or their place grew and changed dramatically. Thus the perception that crime is on the rise or wouldn't let their children do what they used to do as a child.

I know for myself, that's what I am going through and my kid is in 7th grade but I won't let her (nor does she want to) go by herself to the bus stop and wait by herself. If there were other kids, then sure. But not by herself and the bus is more often late so we have to wait about 10-15 minutes.
Well sure you have to look at each place individually and make your own decision. I wouldn't for example let my child run around Detroit by themselves or Chicago. But the crime rate in NYC is lower than it was in 1963 and is on par statistically with towns like Provo Utah. So even though big cities may feel more dangerous, in many cases they really aren't.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Well sure you have to look at each place individually and make your own decision. I wouldn't for example let my child run around Detroit by themselves or Chicago. But the crime rate in NYC is lower than it was in 1963 and is on par statistically with towns like Provo Utah. So even though big cities may feel more dangerous, in many cases they really aren't.
I looked up the cities to compare and it depends on the crime but NYC was higher than Provo in robbery and aggravated assault. So not quite as safe. But I don't think inherently all big cities are crime ridden. But I do think that if you are coming from a safe sleepy area to a larger metro, there will be a difference in crime. Or a previously sleepy/safe area grew by leaps and bounds and now is not as safe.

One city I used to live near where the natives there grumble at how high crime got in the last 10 years. Sanford, FL. I was told it was a wonderful place to grow up in but it went bad about 10 years or so ago and now it's really bad. I know they are trying to crack down on it there so hopefully it's changing for the better. But I can see how times has changed there just as they did in my hometown.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I looked up the cities to compare and it depends on the crime but NYC was higher than Provo in robbery and aggravated assault. So not quite as safe. But I don't think inherently all big cities are crime ridden. But I do think that if you are coming from a safe sleepy area to a larger metro, there will be a difference in crime. Or a previously sleepy/safe area grew by leaps and bounds and now is not as safe.

One city I used to live near where the natives there grumble at how high crime got in the last 10 years. Sanford, FL. I was told it was a wonderful place to grow up in but it went bad about 10 years or so ago and now it's really bad. I know they are trying to crack down on it there so hopefully it's changing for the better. But I can see how times has changed there just as they did in my hometown.
The fact remains that your child is statistically far more likely to be harmed by a close friend or family member, or in a motor vehicle accident with a parent behind the wheel than while waiting for the school bus. It is relative, but also important to acknowledge real risk.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The fact remains that your child is statistically far more likely to be harmed by a close friend or family member, or in a motor vehicle accident with a parent behind the wheel than while waiting for the school bus. It is relative, but also important to acknowledge real risk.
And there hasn't ever been cases of the child never arriving at school or never coming home from school. And if it does happen, do I yell that it isn't possible as statistically.....yeah no.

If it doesn't bother kid and gives me peace of mind, I will walk her for now. And before I get accused of smothering her everywhere she goes. She rides her bike all over with friends/go to malls etc without me just fine. But at least she is in a crowd and with friends. Alone on a street corner by herself in the semi dark, I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting