Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Age
9 and under 15 29.41%
10-11 13 25.49%
12-13 11 21.57%
14-15 7 13.73%
16 and over 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM

384 posts, read 594,235 times

Advertisements

When I started riding the bus in high school, which was all four years. Since I had to be at the bus stop at 5:37AM (Magnet school located two hours away) I often had to cross-country it to the bus stop. I never missed the bus! I actually preffered to ride the school bus because gas was (and still is) extremely expensive for a commute of that length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
When I was 13 yrs old I began taking city busses (three of them each way) downtown to high school in a huge city. First bus came at 6:25 AM - in the dead of night. Going to high school was my responsibility and ya know, I learned early on, how to deal with the world. Kiddie time was over with. Among my classmates, we all did it, and with few exceptions, we all became very very successful. Oddly enough, among my classmates, the flops were the kids that started out down there in the 11th grade and beyond.

You make a good point. The more independence a child is given, the more likely he/she can handle life and be successful. I started walking to the bus stop alone when I was six years old. I feel sorry for the kids today.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM

626 posts, read 1,348,020 times
I didnt have my son start riding the bus until he was 12 (7th grade). The stop is at the end of the street, so its really no big dea now. If I wouldnt have been able to take/pick him up at the schools for the previous years, then he probably would have started going to the bus stop, alone at around 10.

I think it really depends on each individual child and the location of the stop (busy street, neighborhood, sexual predators around, etc).

Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
By the time we lived in an area with school buses, my youngest two were in 1st and 2nd grade. Eldest caught a different bus, about 1/2 mile down the road, at age 14. Most of the time he walked it.

I never once had any concerns about sending the two younger ones out to catch their bus. It was at the end of our property, but not visible from anywhere in the house. They both knew what to do if a bear approached, and that was a more realistic scenario than a stranger showing up.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM

356 posts, read 916,713 times
I voted 12 or 13. I let them walk home from the stop alone now but we walk them to the stop. There are only a handful of kids catching our bus at our stop each morning and multiple buses come by the corner in a short period of time (our city schools are not good and the kids in our neighborhood go to at least 7 different grade schools). I just don't trust the kids' judgement in how long to wait, when to come home and how to handle it if the driver is not their usual driver.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
When I was 13 yrs old I began taking city busses (three of them each way) downtown to high school in a huge city. First bus came at 6:25 AM - in the dead of night. Going to high school was my responsibility and ya know, I learned early on, how to deal with the world. Kiddie time was over with. Among my classmates, we all did it, and with few exceptions, we all became very very successful. Oddly enough, among my classmates, the flops were the kids that started out down there in the 11th grade and beyond.
I did too! Only it was in a section of town that wasn't great. I even sat with hookers and got to know their names. I didn't realize who they were though till I mentioned to my dad all the friendly ladies on the corner at dinnertime. Couldn't figure out why my Dad was choking on his dinner too. Then it was explained to me that I shouldn't speak with them.

Nowadays I just can't imagine my kid doing that. Plus it's a very different time here too.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
I would say 15-16 sounds about right, but I live in Houston and the bus stop is on a busy street. If we still lived in the burbs I would say 7th-8th grade.

I have witnessed bullying/fighting incidents at bus stops around town, so I would worry about that more than child snatching. I have seen children push other children into the street, 2 or 3 kids harassing another student, and parents harassing other people's children.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
What I did as a child is really irrelevant. Different place, different time.

Our elementary school has rules regarding at what age they will drop a child at the bus stop without a parent within eye-sight, and it's 4th grade.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,417 times
I remember waiting for the bus alone (it picked up across from my driveway) when I was in 5th grade and my sister was in 3rd. Mom had already gone to work.

My kids are in a walk zone until they go to 5th grade (but there are no sidewalks and the school is 3/4 of a mile away down some busy streets, so all the parents bring the kids to school).

When she gets to 5th grade, my daughter will wait for the bus without me. There are lots of kids in the neighborhood, and all age groups (5th-12th grade) wait at the same stop, so she won't be alone and there should be older kids around until the last 5 minutes of her wait.

The bus stop is currently located across the street from my house. On days I work from home, I monitor the stop from my office upstairs and have intervened when the kids do something stupid (like play in the street). I've met the younger kids (10-11) who wait and they know they can come get me if they miss the bus and their parents aren't home.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
No buses here as its a pretty small town but I'll have my daughter walk to school by herself from the first grade (I'll walk her for preschool which will mostly likely be in the same place so she'll know the way, otherwise I'll walk her the first few times in 1st grade so that she knows the way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting