Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,919,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Quote:
I was a midwife, and worked as a lactation consultant, yes I have seen all sorts of breasts because it was my job. If you can see the veins on a breastfeeding women's breasts, then it's only because you are staring. Rather rude IMO.
Staring in horror, perhaps - because I'm not accustomed to seeing large, leaking breasts hanging out with absolutely no covering, in a crowd of people who are also horrified.

By the way, the reason this stuck out so clearly in my mind is because, as the bank manager, I was the one who had to deal with the customer complaints - which immediately ensued. I had three customers, none related to each other, who came to my office quickly and complained about the spectacle going down in the lobby. I mean, honestly - it was a bit on the shocking side.

I had to go out there and go right up to this woman (because I wanted to whisper to her - at least one of us was trying to be discreet) and quietly tell her that I'd like for her to nurse her baby in an adjacent office that was more private. She actually did take me up on it. She stood up, the baby unlatched again, and she lumbered into the private office with her large, VEINED breast still dripping milk just hanging right out there. TOO MUCH!!!

Quote:
I have never, ever seen a breastfeeding mother be anything but discreet.
Good for you. I however, unfortunately cannot say the same. See above example.

Quote:
One "maybe" sighting? "Oh noes, all breastfeeding moms are whipping it out"!
No. One very real sighting. Actually, I've seen two similar situations - the other was in a local mall, and thank goodness I wasn't the manager and didn't have the dubious honor of actually having to confront the woman. But she was just sitting there, baby "unlatched", with her bare breast and nipple just hanging there. I think that's uncalled for.

By the way, as I stated previously, I was a breastfeeding mom myself - I breastfed all four of my kids. I never "whipped it out" and I never claimed that "all breastfeeding moms are whipping it out" either. Clearly, you have some reading comprehension issues. At the very least.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,315,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, let's just fart in public too, and burp loudly in restaurants - let's just let nature take it's course.

For that matter, breasts are natural anyway, so even though I'm not a nursing mother anymore, I think I'll mow my yard topless later today. Hell, I may just go shopping that way first. If people don't want to see my breasts, well then they just better not look!
You're comparing farting and burping loudly to breastfeeding? Well I guess thats a step above the usual comparisons of urinating and defecating.

As for the latter, well I wouldn't care if you did, they're still just breasts whether a baby is attached or not and seeing breasts isn't going to harm anyone but its really beside the point, we are talking about breastfeeding which is not considered to be exposing yourself or public nudity (well at least not considered to be so by sensible people).

Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,919,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
As for the latter, well I wouldn't care if you did, they're still just breasts whether a baby is attached or not and seeing breasts isn't going to harm anyone but its really beside the point, we are talking about breastfeeding which is not considered to be exposing yourself or public nudity (well at least not considered to be so by sensible people).
Sigh.

As stated repeatedly on this thread, I breastfed my own four kids. I managed to do so without strangers getting a glimpse of nipples and leaking milk. I don't care if it's "natural" or not - I don't want strangers looking at my nipples, and most strangers probably don't want to look at other strangers' nipples either.

I don't consider breastfeeding to be public nudity UNTIL the woman in question pulls out a breast and just lets it hang out there for all to see. This DOES happen - I've seen it myself. That's when the natural side of breastfeeding is comparable to farting and burping in public. There's "natural" and then there's "a bit too natural."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting