Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times

Advertisements

That article is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. If the mother had been allowed to feed her baby, he most likely would have nursed for a bit and fallen asleep, disturbing no one. As it is, these ushers were going up and down the aisles telling mothers to quit BF'ing and babbling on about communicable diseases and the possibility the baby was going to vomit. If they'd just minded their own business, everyone could have enjoyed the play.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I eat when I am hungry.

I'll bet that, like me, you eat sometimes when youre NOT hungry as well.

I'm not complaining about it, and I dont deny a mom's choice to breast feed.

However, I reject the notion that a baby can't go 2 hours without feeding.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
If a woman covers her breast and feeds a baby discreetly, I see no reason why a woman couldn't nurse a baby just about anywhere, anytime.

Now - that being said, I DO have a problem with women (and I've seen them!) who just flop a big, leaky breast out in front of God and everyone else, and allow their child to clamp down and start slurping loudly. I don't want to see ANYONE'S nipples or large, veined breasts hanging out. Use a light little blanket and a bit of common sense.

Also, if you have a baby who makes a lot of noise nursing (some babies just do - can't be helped I guess), then do everyone a favor and go someplace more private.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If a woman covers her breast and feeds a baby discreetly, I see no reason why a woman couldn't nurse a baby just about anywhere, anytime.

Now - that being said, I DO have a problem with women (and I've seen them!) who just flop a big, leaky breast out in front of God and everyone else, and allow their child to clamp down and start slurping loudly. I don't want to see ANYONE'S nipples or large, veined breasts hanging out. Use a light little blanket and a bit of common sense.

Also, if you have a baby who makes a lot of noise nursing (some babies just do - can't be helped I guess), then do everyone a favor and go someplace more private.
If you don't want to see anyone's nipples then don't look. A mother should breastfeed in the way that is most comfortable for her and her child and if that means flopping out the big leaky breast then fine, its not like seeing it is going to scar you for a life - its a just a breast!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Cue the "flipping it out" accompanied by ridiculously, unbelievably embellished physical descriptions. Unicorns are real too.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I'll bet that, like me, you eat sometimes when youre NOT hungry as well.

I'm not complaining about it, and I dont deny a mom's choice to breast feed.

However, I reject the notion that a baby can't go 2 hours without feeding.
Because hanging out with a hungry baby for 2 hours is super fun times for everyone! Where do I sign!?!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Cue the "flipping it out" accompanied by ridiculously, unbelievably embellished physical descriptions. Unicorns are real too.
So, you don't think that some women have very large, veined breasts that leak when they nurse their babies? I've seen them "flipped right out" in public.

I breast fed all four of my children. I went overnight from a B cup to a DD cup when my milk came in! Without going into more detail, let's just say I was very glad for those little absorbent pads that you can buy to slip inside your bra.

I somehow managed to breastfeed all four children without exposing my breasts and nipples to strangers. The babies never went without nursing on demand - I breastfed them whenever and wherever they happened to become hungry.

I used to be a bank manager. I will never forget a scene that went down in my lobby one day. A large woman with large breasts came in with a baby and sat down among about six other people, all strangers, all different ages, men and women. She then proceeded to undo her top and undo her bra (which was dirty, by the way - adding some more detail to the scene), pulled out a huge breast which was clearly leaking milk all over the place, and attached the baby. She made no effort to be discreet, even though her baby had the habit of "unlatching" often and just laying there - while her breast and nipple (and leaking milk) were just, well - out there - for all to see.

That is uncalled for.

I'm all for breastfeeding, but let's use some common sense, people!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Can a baby appreciate a play?
Its a baby, can a baby appreciate anything besides maybe food, motherly contact and a clean diaper? With that argument, why even take the baby outside the house until they're a toddler? They're not going to appreciate any of it.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If you don't want to see anyone's nipples then don't look. A mother should breastfeed in the way that is most comfortable for her and her child and if that means flopping out the big leaky breast then fine, its not like seeing it is going to scar you for a life - its a just a breast!
Well, let's just fart in public too, and burp loudly in restaurants - let's just let nature take it's course.

For that matter, breasts are natural anyway, so even though I'm not a nursing mother anymore, I think I'll mow my yard topless later today. Hell, I may just go shopping that way first. If people don't want to see my breasts, well then they just better not look!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 AM

451 posts, read 769,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm a parent and I don't think infants belong in a theater. Get a sitter or stay home until they're old enough to behave. This shouldn't even be a breastfeeding issue.
I agree 100% and wish to high heaven that more parents understood this! As for it having been a "family play," if the child is young enough to still be breastfed, it's too young to enjoy the play anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting