Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times

Advertisements

Never did. I had one daughter call me during MS to ask me to leave work, go home, pick up her forgotten homework and deliver it to school. I told her that I was at work doing my job and the only suggestion I had for her was to explain to her teacher why she failed to do hers. She was mad for a day or two, but she never forgot homework again. And she told her younger sister that she needed to make sure to have her homework every day as well so I never even got a single request from that kid. May sound harsh, but it worked for my kids and didn't scar them for life. They're the most together and responsible adults I know and they don't hold it against me that I helped teach them to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,577 times
Yes I do. I have forgotten things and home and have called someone to bring them to me, so why would I not extend that same courtesy to my children? Now, if I was going into school weekly or having to leave work, that'd be a different thing, but if I'm at home, I'll bring something in. In our family, we help each other out.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yes I do. I have forgotten things and home and have called someone to bring them to me, so why would I not extend that same courtesy to my children? Now, if I was going into school weekly or having to leave work, that'd be a different thing, but if I'm at home, I'll bring something in. In our family, we help each other out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Since my husband and I were both at work while they were at school we never (even one time)took anything to school for one of our children. And, in the all of the years from kindergarten to high school they never forgot even one thing that was important enough for them to call us at work.

So, either we had very, very responsible children or some of you may be indulging your children.

At the elementary school where I was a teacher it was (almost) always the same parents bringing forgotten items again, and again and again. For some children, it was a several time a week situation and the classroom teacher and office had to start refusing to let the child call home for their forgotten homework, library books or lunch.

If a child would say "My mom forgot to pack my ..." the teachers in my building (even the 4K teachers) would say "Your mother is not in my class, you are in my class and it is your responsibility to pack what you need for school". By the time most kids were in 2nd grade they rarely forgot any important.
I guess in my family we "help each other out" by building personal responsibility.

BTW On my job I never had my children or husband bring forgotten things to me, either. If I really needed it I packed it/set it out the night before.

I once had a third grade student who forgot his library books at least 90% of the time, even though we went to the library every single Wednesday. His mother would "remember it was library day" shortly after school started & would make a special trip to school almost every week.

I happened to mention this to someone who worked at the high school office (we were talking about children forgetting things at home) and she started to laugh uproariously. Apparently when this same student was in high school his mother came to school almost every single day with something her teen forgot.

Emergency help is fine but sometimes "emergencies" became frequent events.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM

95 posts, read 170,979 times
I brought my son's homework to school once in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I needed to put some permission slips into the turn in folder and then *I* forgot to put it back in his bag. Otherwise I don't remember my kids leaving anything at home.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Depended on the age and what they forgot. When they were young and still learning.... yes.

After about the 8th grade they learned they had to hoof it home if they forgot something they knew they were responsible for. We lived in the hills. One or two trips trudging up and down the hill to get something was a powerful teacher.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Depended on the age and what they forgot. When they were young and still learning.... yes.

After about the 8th grade they learned they had to hoof it home if they forgot something they knew they were responsible for. We lived in the hills. One or two trips trudging up and down the hill to get something was a powerful teacher.
Your kids were allowed to leave school to get something they forgot?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Your kids were allowed to leave school to get something they forgot?
Open campus during lunch, or, get to school, realize you forgot something, hot foot it home. I can remember one episode where I spotted the errant item, figured out when its owner would return to get it, waited, opened up the door, held out my arm with the item and said, "Love you very much". He wasn't happy but he learned he had to be responsible because Mom and Dad aren't going to be there when you're a grown-up. Learn now.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-31-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting