Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

In my elementary school parents never brought stuff that kids forgot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
I have to admit, I do bring forgotten library books & instruments on band days.
My oldest (5th gr) was the biggest offender & we have had many discussions about remembering items, responsibility,etc...

Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
We never took anything that had been forgotten no matter what it was. My children learned very early to be responsible for their school needs and to make sure everything was packed in their bag the night before.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I don't remember my mum ever bringing in something that I had forgot. Don't think I really forgot much anyway, except for homework (on purpose when I hadn't finished it) and PE kit occasionally (and if you forgot that you either sat out or had to do it in your underwear, no need for a parent to bring it in)

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
If they call and ask past that, they have $10 subtracted from their allowance for each subsequent trip.
Wow, so are they in the hole for allowance for a while? How much are these kids getting for allowance that they can have $10 subtracted? Or maybe the parent is taking the money back from the kids? LOL

Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Since my husband and I were both at work while they were at school we never (even one time)took anything to school for one of our children. And, in the all of the years from kindergarten to high school they never forgot even one thing that was important enough for them to call us at work.

So, either we had very, very responsible children or some of you may be indulging your children.

At the elementary school where I was a teacher it was (almost) always the same parents bringing forgotten items again, and again and again. For some children, it was a several time a week situation and the classroom teacher and office had to start refusing to let the child call home for their forgotten homework, library books or lunch.

If a child would say "My mom forgot to pack my ..." the teachers in my building (even the 4K teachers) would say "Your mother is not in my class, you are in my class and it is your responsibility to pack what you need for school". By the time most kids were in 2nd grade they rarely forgot any important.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
I admit I do. My daughter very, very rarely forgets anything, so when she does and needs me to bring it to her, I do because she only asks if it is important. I think I have brought something to her 2-3 times total, and she is a senior in high school.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
If it was an occasional thing, I would drop it off. My kids are fairly good about taking things in. If they had a big food mishap or my daughter got her period unexpectedly, I would certainly try to take a change of clothes to school. Just this year, my son managed to get his pants thoroughly soaked outside at recess falling into a puddle and I got a call from the school nurse asking to bring a full change of clothes.

Forgotten homework, glasses...probably not.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,361,673 times
My kids didn't forget things in elementary school because I knew their assignments and what was going on and made sure they had everything prior to leaving. I can't recall bringing them anything in middle school, however they did forget a folder or book in high school once in a while and called and asked if I'd drop it off in front of the school during brunch, which I did. They weren't required to bring certain books to class each day, so probably forgot that they had to bring it in on that particular day. It wasn't a big deal and we lived just 2 blocks away. Everyone forgets something sometime.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I brought my daughter her backpack that she left on the dining table as we rushed out the door on a crazy morning. It was only the one time, and she was in the first grade. I would not do it if it became a habit. But the reality is that she is much better than me about remembering stuff, so I hope she will reciprocate the favor for me once she's old enough to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I have to admit, I do bring forgotten library books & instruments on band days.
My oldest (5th gr) was the biggest offender & we have had many discussions about remembering items, responsibility,etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I admit I do. My daughter very, very rarely forgets anything, so when she does and needs me to bring it to her, I do because she only asks if it is important. I think I have brought something to her 2-3 times total, and she is a senior in high school.
Why does everyone sound so sheepish about helping their kids out when they've forgotten something? I understand that kids need to be responsible and it shouldn't be happening every day, but it's not a crime to help out a family member in a bind.

This past Sunday I locked my keys in the gym at 6:30 a.m. (You let yourself in with a magnetic key fob.) I'm glad my husband brought me my extra key and didn't make me walk home to teach me a lesson.

Not everything is a "teachable moment." Sometimes people, including kids, forget stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting