Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

My kids were in ele and middle school prior to cell phone use. Both schools had a rule that kids could not come in to the office to call home about forgotten items. Don't know what they do now. By the middle of high school the older one had a cell, and the younger one had one all along. Still, they didn't call much, if at all. I remember bringing my daughter's cello over once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Oh my, it was so long ago, I must have, but not too many times or I would of course remember. With only one it was not hard at all. No cell phones back then. So very many rules now, so very sad.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I do think the problem with Summit is more about allowing parents to wander in and out disrupting classes.

Schools here as some have mentioned allow you to drop things off at the main office and then they will get them to the child's classroom. I've never taken in lunches or homework. Lunch would simply be bought from the cafeteria and the amount added to their account. Homework is checked and put into backpacks in the evening, so it cannot be forgotten. We have taken in my granddaughter's glasses when she forgot them (she now carries her extra pair in her backpack so that won't happen either). Not sure what will happen with band instruments as this will be her first year for band.

Our schools do allow parents to come in and eat lunch with the elementary school students and parents who do that sometimes bring in a treat for lunch. Parents still have to sign in at the office and only can go to the cafeteria during the lunch period.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
For the OP's question, I have dropped off things for my kids, but it is a rare thing. For example, my 3rd daughter was in 9th grade this past year and I dropped off something (not homework) for her once this year.

I believe that this school has a boundary issue that is not due to parents dropping off things for their kids but instead due to lack of, poorly written or poorly enforced policies on visitors and/or safety procedures. I also think they would be best served to develop a sound and effective policy instead of issuing a ban on one aspect they perceive as a problem.

For instance, at my daughter's high school all visitors must enter through the main door and it takes you directly to the office. To get into the school itself you must be approved and allowed to enter through a door at the other end of the office.
Any parent dropping something off for a student leaves it in the office and is asked if the student is expecting the item. If so, they can come get it during their passing time-meaning it is the student's responsibility to get it if it is needed right away. If the student is not expecting the item the parent can text them about it, the office will notify them to come get it or will have it sent to their class via a student aid (who is there mostly for errand running) at their convenience.

If the parent wishes to enter the school, no matter the reason, they must be approved to do so. This means their driver's license is scanned through a system that does a quick background check (only necessary once) and if they are approved they will receive a name tag that allows them into the school. The name tag has their name, their driver's license picture on it, the time they arrived, the reason they are in the school and their destination. Theoretically this means every single person in the school has ID on since both students and teachers are required to wear school ID all day.

This translates to virtually NO parent wandering the school just to drop off items and any visitor in the school has been approved to do so. Parents can still drop off anything they want/need and it does not really disrupt the school day at all. No problem to solve because it's been prevented.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I remember only taking papers to school many years ago when it was my own procrastination at typing a paper till the morning it was due. It didn't need to be typed and he didn't want me to type it but his handwriting was so poor I thought it better if I typed it for him but didn't finish in time for him to catch the bus so I ran it to school in time to be turned in.
I think the bigger issue here is that you are doing your son's homework for him.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I remember only taking papers to school many years ago when it was my own procrastination at typing a paper till the morning it was due. It didn't need to be typed and he didn't want me to type it but his handwriting was so poor I thought it better if I typed it for him but didn't finish in time for him to catch the bus so I ran it to school in time to be turned in.
Unbelievable. Not only did you write the kid's papers for him, you didn't even do them until the day they were due because you procrastinated?! There's a good life lesson for him. Don't worry son, if you don't do your work, or do a half assed job, mom will do it for you on the day it's due, then she'll hand deliver it to your school so you get a good grade!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
We did it all the time. Now my kids are driving, they bring things to my work when I forget them at times.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^I once saw a teacher's wife bring him his lunch. That said a lot to me.

As I said, I once delivered an instrument (cello). I'd deliver glasses if my kid forgot them. But I think frequent trips to the school to bring forgotten homework, etc, should be verboten.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
I brought my daughter her backpack that she left on the dining table as we rushed out the door on a crazy morning. It was only the one time, and she was in the first grade. I would not do it if it became a habit. But the reality is that she is much better than me about remembering stuff, so I hope she will reciprocate the favor for me once she's old enough to drive.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM

283 posts, read 447,788 times
I got meals at times, but that's it.....maybe stuff I forgot. Hmm. I dunno, i tended to carry a lot with me so :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting