Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My parents took us to Fontana Dam every year and we'd go rafting, hiking, etc. When I turned 16 I was tired of it, so my little brother took one of his friends in my place and I was left at home for the weekend. I was a partier but I had way too much respect for my parents to have a party there. I did invite my boyfriend over one night but not the whole night. I guess it's about respect.

As a parent, we let our 16 year old stay home alone while we went to Vegas. We got two phone calls while we were gone, one that she had stolen my husband's work van and was traipsing all over town in it, and then another when her older sister drove by and saw she was having a party and made everybody go home.

When we got home early Sunday morning, we saw she had had some kind of bonfire in the garage (where there was gas and oil stored), there were boys sleeping in her room (she had a friend over), and the house was a wreck. And she was our golden child.

Good luck!

HOLY CRAP!!!

(did she survive? LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
As a former 16.5 year old, I must say a hot college student "checking in" on me would be most welcome.
Oops. Did I leave out the part about the "babysitter" being male?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM

523 posts, read 840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks. Our 16-1/2 yo son would like to skip the 1st three days of it and join us later (us = mom, dad & 11 yo daughter). He is participating in a 7 week summer internship and if he takes vacation the entire week, he will be working later into the summer and cut into the free time before he gets into HS X-country training. Also, he says getting too old for these "family vacations" and rather spend time with his friends.

I (dad) am leaning toward saying yes. Of course, we would be in constant contact with him on those days and have friends and neighbors checking in. My wife is leaning towards no, saying he should go on the entire vacation.

He is generally a very responsible kid. Honor student, lots of xtra cirricular activities, sports. Some of his friends though tend to be a little wild. I'm looking for feedback from parents who have been in a similar situation or any parent who has an opinion.
Depends on the kid, but if he's responsible, I would say yes if there was a neighbor that could check on him periodically. If he's going to be a senior next year, you have one year til he goes to college or a year and a half til he's 18 and could move out. It's not that much time. A little "practice"might be a good thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Depends on the kid, but if he's responsible, I would say yes if there was a neighbor that could check on him periodically. If he's going to be a senior next year, you have one year til he goes to college or a year and a half til he's 18 and could move out. It's not that much time. A little "practice"might be a good thing.
My point exactly. He is not that far removed from leaving home for college. You have to start trusting that all you've taught them is going to serve them well in practice, not just theory.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
We left our 16 year old son home while we went to New Mexico for a vacation one year, because he had things he had to do to get ready for the upcoming school year. He was (and is - he's now 40) very responsible, and we had good friends living next door, and a few blocks away, and his "second parents" (friends whose son he had grown up with and we were "second parents" to their son) were a phone call away.

It all depends on your son and your relationship with him.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
No. Nope. Uh Uh. Not gonna happen. No way.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Just say NO!

I appreciate that your 16-year-old is an honor student, responsible, etc, that also describes my 16-year-old daughter, until last week. We got a knock on our door about 4 am, police bringing her home, drunk as a skunk found passed out at a park, while we thought she was asleep in her bed!

We then found she had been smoking marijuana as well. We simply had no idea of the double-life she was leading, apparently she was sneaking out the window at night. You just don't know what your kid can be up to. It was fortunate we knew the cop as a personal friend, he just brought her home, instead of charging her.

Also, do be aware that teens consider credit cards to be their's for the taking. We found out DD was taking our CC, buy stuff, then return for cash to buy drugs. Keep those CC under strict lock and key at ALL times, that means ALL times, you never leave such unattended. Even if the OP son is a responsible young man, you don't know who else will take advantage of the situation, get inside, and go through your stuff, cc, SSN, small valuables, believe me, its all happened to us via my totally trustworthy daughter.

Give it a ew years, 18 is a different world from 16!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Is that even legal? What if the cops did come to the house (say he had a party that got out of control)... could the parents be in trouble?
My thoughts as well. I wouldn't leave my child home alone until she was 18.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Wow, some of these posts are very surprising

Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 PM

523 posts, read 840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just say NO!

I appreciate that your 16-year-old is an honor student, responsible, etc, that also describes my 16-year-old daughter, until last week. We got a knock on our door about 4 am, police bringing her home, drunk as a skunk found passed out at a park, while we thought she was asleep in her bed!

We then found she had been smoking marijuana as well. We simply had no idea of the double-life she was leading, apparently she was sneaking out the window at night. You just don't know what your kid can be up to. It was fortunate we knew the cop as a personal friend, he just brought her home, instead of charging her.

Also, do be aware that teens consider credit cards to be their's for the taking. We found out DD was taking our CC, buy stuff, then return for cash to buy drugs. Keep those CC under strict lock and key at ALL times, that means ALL times, you never leave such unattended. Even if the OP son is a responsible young man, you don't know who else will take advantage of the situation, get inside, and go through your stuff, cc, SSN, small valuables, believe me, its all happened to us via my totally trustworthy daughter.

Give it a ew years, 18 is a different world from 16!
Sounds like your daughter has some major issues going on, but no, not all teenagers are like that. My daughter was the same at 16 and 18. She was a good kid at 16, 18 and still is today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting