Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,271,262 times

Advertisements

Sending him to stay with a friend is one good idea. If he is generally trustworthy then I would lean towards letting him stay home but of course there's a strong possibility he'll have a party (one of those lovely teenage rites of passage) but if you trust him to not let strangers come and keep things under control then why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,416,064 times
If he's a good kid and people will be checking in on him, I don't see what the problem is. I know there were a couple weekends when I was in high school when I was home by myself. My parents knew I wasn't going to break into the liquor cabinet or throw a wild party or anything.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,081,738 times
We left our 16 year old home alone for a week, he loved it, did nothing wrong and couldn't wait for us to go away again ! Maybe we were lucky to have a responsible kid. I was in the Army at 17 (of course this was many years ago when all kids were good )

Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,354,826 times
Is that even legal? What if the cops did come to the house (say he had a party that got out of control)... could the parents be in trouble?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM

256 posts, read 481,321 times
Watch "Project X" (the new one) and decide.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We used a college student "babysitter" when leaving our teens home.
As a former 16.5 year old, I must say a hot college student "checking in" on me would be most welcome.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,887,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks. Our 16-1/2 yo son would like to skip the 1st three days of it and join us later (us = mom, dad & 11 yo daughter). He is participating in a 7 week summer internship and if he takes vacation the entire week, he will be working later into the summer and cut into the free time before he gets into HS X-country training. Also, he says getting too old for these "family vacations" and rather spend time with his friends.

I (dad) am leaning toward saying yes. Of course, we would be in constant contact with him on those days and have friends and neighbors checking in. My wife is leaning towards no, saying he should go on the entire vacation.

He is generally a very responsible kid. Honor student, lots of xtra cirricular activities, sports. Some of his friends though tend to be a little wild. I'm looking for feedback from parents who have been in a similar situation or any parent who has an opinion.
You know your son, we don't

But it sounds as though he is pretty mature and trustworthy.

Personally, I would have a discussion where you establish ground rules that he agrees to, have a neighbor or friend on standby who will check in on him and give him this opportunity for growth.

Generally, our kids will rise to the level of our expectations of them.

The higher you set the bar, the higher they aim and the more self-confidence they develop

Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,315,640 times
When my older sister was 16 she stayed home alone for a few weeks while the rest of us were on vacation. We younger siblings went for our regular vacation with relatives in another state. Our mother went to Europe. My sister stayed home, went to summer school, and worked two jobs (daily babysitting and fast food). The only unapproved thing she did was adopt a dog. (This was mid 70's.)

Our dad lived about 15 miles away, but no one thought of my sister needing supervision.

That said, for most 16-year-olds, I'd say No. OP's son sounds like a good kid, but the mom is not comfortable with this. I agree with having him stay at a friend's - if he has one who isn't wild.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,269,757 times
I can't believe that I am going to say this but I say NO... To much crap happens now days...Can he stay with a neighbor/family member/co-worker?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,470,313 times
Default I've been both the kid & the parent

My parents took us to Fontana Dam every year and we'd go rafting, hiking, etc. When I turned 16 I was tired of it, so my little brother took one of his friends in my place and I was left at home for the weekend. I was a partier but I had way too much respect for my parents to have a party there. I did invite my boyfriend over one night but not the whole night. I guess it's about respect.

As a parent, we let our 16 year old stay home alone while we went to Vegas. We got two phone calls while we were gone, one that she had stolen my husband's work van and was traipsing all over town in it, and then another when her older sister drove by and saw she was having a party and made everybody go home.

When we got home early Sunday morning, we saw she had had some kind of bonfire in the garage (where there was gas and oil stored), there were boys sleeping in her room (she had a friend over), and the house was a wreck. And she was our golden child.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting