Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM

818 posts, read 858,941 times

Advertisements

I got up this morning and for some reason thought to ask her if she wanted to go with me to counseling. Rather than just a simple " no" I got a " No, I'm going to make myself some breakfast and go back to bed, my big soft bed. It was so nice having it all to myself." I decided I'd be honest, I told her that despite all of this, I missed her and that I didn't want a divorce( feeling was mutual.) She responded with " I remember our first morning here. You put this huge bouquet of roses by my side of the bed. It was so romantic" I get it, no I'm not doing roses. I went to counseling and got the same response from the other counselor. I taught my son how to cook a little more tonight

Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,909,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I got up this morning and for some reason thought to ask her if she wanted to go with me to counseling. Rather than just a simple " no" I got a " No, I'm going to make myself some breakfast and go back to bed, my big soft bed. It was so nice having it all to myself." I decided I'd be honest, I told her that despite all of this, I missed her and that I didn't want a divorce( feeling was mutual.) She responded with " I remember our first morning here. You put this huge bouquet of roses by my side of the bed. It was so romantic" I get it, no I'm not doing roses. I went to counseling and got the same response from the other counselor. I taught my son how to cook a little more tonight
Got the same response from the other counselor... as in s/he also said not to get your wife roses?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 PM

no, I mean they were both kind of appalled at my wife's behavior

Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,260,296 times
Quote:
Throughout this thread I had often thought that your wife acted more like a 17 or 18 year old girl than a woman in her 30s. I'm starting to think that she is more like a middle school age girl who is dreaming about a future perfect boyfriend/husband and how the man will spoil her rotten without her having to do anything at all for him.

Irish, I really hope you realize how truly dysfunctional and immature your wife's attribute and behavior is.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,357,242 times
Quote:
Honestly, what I got from this is your wife is the same old, same old...

but you started teaching your son to cook! GOOD! continue with the counseling and giving your son some life lessons...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Throughout this thread I had often thought that your wife acted more like a 17 or 18 year old girl than a woman in her 30s. I'm starting to think that she is more like a middle school age girl who is dreaming about a future perfect boyfriend/husband and how the man will spoil her rotten without her having to do anything at all for him.

Irish, I really hope you realize how truly dysfunctional and immature your wife's attribute and behavior is.
Yes, I get that feeling as well. I feel that she has regressed in age maturity. I feel like when she was 18, 19, 20,21,etc she had the maturity level of a 30 year old because she had to, because she had a child to raise. The way she raised that kid when I wasn't there was nothing short of a miracle when you think about how other teen moms raise their kids. Somehow, she raised him with manners and etiquette.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,258,765 times
Quote:
Yes, I get that feeling as well. I feel that she has regressed in age maturity. I feel like when she was 18, 19, 20,21,etc she had the maturity level of a 30 year old because she had to, because she had a child to raise. The way she raised that kid when I wasn't there was nothing short of a miracle when you think about how other teen moms raise their kids. Somehow, she raised him with manners and etiquette.
I'm sure one of your therapists could delve into why your wife seems to be either frozen at age 15, or regressing from age 30 to age 15. I'm curious about what's behind that. I don't know if you or the therapist has flat out told her she acts like a teenager, but maybe someone should. I'm glad your son ended up with manners in between the Mt Dew as a toddler and lack of rules as a teen.

I think telling her you missed her is unnecessary and counterproductive. Did you really miss her drama? really? I don't think I'd say much of anything other than "I hope we can work this out, but some things need to change."

Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

I think telling her you missed her is unnecessary and counterproductive. Did you really miss her drama? really? I don't think I'd say much of anything other than "I hope we can work this out, but some things need to change."
I agree. It's always 1 step forward, two steps back.

Irish, your reactions are so confusing.

At the moments when she is treating you like her worst enemy, you just ... roll over.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,841,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree. It's always 1 step forward, two steps back.

Irish, your reactions are so confusing.

At the moments when she is treating you like her worst enemy, you just ... roll over.
Bears repeating.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,413,060 times
I wonder how your wife would react if she witnessed or heard this kind of behavior in another person's marriage? She really does not get it does she?

Perhaps next time she speaks to you like the most recent example, or any of the other 100's of times she does this baiting thing she does, stop and ask her how she would react if she overheard your son's GF speaking to him like this and then walk away. Don't wait for her answer--just turn around and walk away.

I suggest that you record or videotape a conversation. Just pull out your phone, (assuming you have a video or audio recorder on it) and start taping. Later, not at that moment, tell her you would like her to listen or watch something as it explains the problem better than you've been able to do. It's not meant to be punitive. No name calling or baiting by you either. Tell her it's an example of what you see as the problem you want to fix. I think you would both be stunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting