Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,222,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I think age gaps / different genders are horrible reasons to have 2nd showers.
Just because you insisted that your first born be draped in all things pink doesn't mean it's your friends' & family's responsibilities to purchase all things blue when you decide to pop out another kid 10 months later. Sorry, but that's on you.
I have a cousin (well, step cousin) who has three little girls, ages 1, 3, and 5. She coerced her grandmother to throw her a shower for all three because, "Well, I went and sold everything already!"

I went to the first, and from what I heard, attendance dwindled for the other two. At that point, you need to get up and buy your own pack n play, clothing, bottles, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM

861 posts, read 2,734,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
I have a cousin (well, step cousin) who has three little girls, ages 1, 3, and 5. She coerced her grandmother to throw her a shower for all three because, "Well, I went and sold everything already!"

I went to the first, and from what I heard, attendance dwindled for the other two. At that point, you need to get up and buy your own pack n play, clothing, bottles, etc.
LOL I would have told your step cousin to take that money she earned from selling all the stuff and buy her own damn baby things then!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,323,536 times
My baby shower was at my house, but my bf formally hosted it. I insisted it be at my house because she wanted to pay for a place to rent, have it catered, etc, and no way was I going to allow that. She's from out of state so we couldn't have it at her house. With that said, having her there to run things was great. I definitely planned and paid for most of it, but she got the banner, made the time capsule, brought the favors. I did the photography and we both had everybody sign a page in the baby shower photo album. She was next to me while I was opening presents and wrote down who purchased what for the thank you cards. It was great and these people seemed to enjoy watching me open the presents. Or, it could have been the mimosas.

In the end it was a huge gift grab thing, but I called it a raising of the barn. There is no way I could have afforded everything I needed and people were so darn generous. It was a great experience.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM

919 posts, read 1,703,325 times
OP if you are still having problems here is an idea:

My mom's baby shower was at the end of April, I hosted it. She didn't want to open gifts but after spending time on a forum just like this she decided that she HAD to open the gifts. So what I did was that I made it a game. Everyone had a great time and we gave out a few prizes.

We did gift bingo, it's super easy to set up, it's quick and it's fun to do. We printed out a blank bingo sheet and had people fill in the boxes with what they thought my mother would receive as a gift. As she opened the gifts I shouted what she had gotten and people scrambled to find if they had written it down. We had 3 gifts so 3 we did 3 winners. It was a lot of fun and the gifts were cheap. (All from walmart)

- A travel cup/mug and an individual coffee packet
- A little fountain (5$)
- A jewlery set that came with earrings, a necklace and mirror (8$)

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM

4,101 posts, read 11,559,407 times
/The gift bingo was a great idea, but what about the cheapness of the gifts and especially saying they came from Walmart? Didn't these givers go out of their way to get you what the mothertobe wanted and spend their time and money?

I think three more carefully chosen and upscale gifts would have been a nicer idea. Any of those gifts would be disposed of at Goodwill or at a garage sale.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM

919 posts, read 1,703,325 times
The gift was a nice [small] gesture. People do not come to baby showers with the expectation that they will be receiving a gift once they leave. If you wanted you could do a cheap bottle of wine, but IMO spending anything over 20/25 is overkill since you are being nice. No one forces anyone to buy a gift or to come at all.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,421,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post

[quote=HeatherLynn822;29187388]LOL I would have told your step cousin to take that money she earned from selling all the stuff and buy her own damn baby things then![/quote]

Ditto!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,388,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Hello Everyone.. I am having my second child in September. After a long battle with my hubby and son... 10 years later... I have decided to have another kid

Well I am starting to plan my baby shower. Yes I am doing it myself. First thing is.. I do NOT want to open gifts. I think it’s so boring and a waste of time. We only have the rental hall for a few hours and I rather spend that hour or so dancing and partying!! For once my mother agrees with me. But my friends and some family says its wrong for me not to open gifts. I know my family can be funny so is there a way that I can get away with not opening gifts and not have my guest offended?

Also my son will be 10, I will not be asking for gifts for him but I do want to sing happy birthday to him.. His birthday is a few days and all of our family will be there. I feel people will say something about this also, but I do want to acknowledge my son's 10th birthday somehow.
It is in really poor taste to host a baby shower for yourself. It is in really poor taste to not open gifts at a shower since that is the whole point of a shower. Give your son a 10th birthday party. After the baby is born, have a get together so people can meet the new baby. If they bring gifts, bonus. Please, please do not host a shower for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting