Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,214,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
The reason why I am doing it myself is because my granny who has passed away was the event planner. No one will make it special like she would. So yes, I rather do it myself.
Your mother? Your best friend? Showers are special due to who shows up and their intentions, not silly things like venues and favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,779,302 times
Wait.. 1) You're throwing yourself a party? That's tacky.

2) You dont want to open gifts? That's the easiest way to offend people. They spent the money to buy it, the least they can do is see your reaction when you open it.

3) If 1 and 2 offend you, then dont ask for gifts.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,779,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I agree with this.
Furthermore, showers are typically only thrown for 1st babies only. Kind of like a "Welcome to motherhood" party.
Sadly more and more moms are having second showers thrown for them. I really shake my head at them. I find it tacky especially since many of these that i've been invited to - they just had a baby like 2 years ago!! I politely decline since I dont approve of second showers and just bring a small gift after the baby is born.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,941,467 times
I guess everyone is different. I do not take offence to any posting. I would not ask if I did. It gives me the opportunity to learn and see the other side of things. Thanks again for the suggestions! I will factor in everyone's opinion going forward. I've been to many baby showers from people who have had more than one child so I do not see any harm in me having one. We at work just gave a co-worker a 3rd baby shower!! I still don't see any harm in me throwing it myself.. I know where, what, when, and how I want my event. They are not paying for it so why should someone help me? It does not matter to me. I just want my guest to happy and enjoy this event.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,308,829 times
Not only is it really bad form to throw yourself a shower, I was always told a mother or sister should not throw a bridal or baby shower. It should be a friend. A shower is a way to honor a friend and most of us do not try to publically honor ourselves.

If you really want everybody to have a good time and not look like you are asking for gifts, then definitely put NO GIFTS on the invite. As far as your son goes he better get used to the world not rotating around him alone anymore. You don't even have to mention it is his birthday a few days later but I'm sure close family will know. Let him have his own special events for his own birthday and definitely let him open his gifts.

My daughters have been to several birthday parties where the birthday child did not open gifts in front of the guests. They are very disappointed because they put a lot of time into picking just the right gift and want to see how the gift is received. And I always ask "What presents did she get" so I can have some ideas for the next party.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,308,829 times
The only time I've ever seen a shower for a second or third child is in the case of adoption. And usually the baby is present and passed around and is a very happy occasion. I was thrown such a shower for my adopted daughter and everyone was delighted to see the baby at her shower.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,214,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The only time I've ever seen a shower for a second or third child is in the case of adoption. And usually the baby is present and passed around and is a very happy occasion. I was thrown such a shower for my adopted daughter and everyone was delighted to see the baby at her shower.
I really love "meet the baby" celebrations. They're usually intimate (close family and friends), and more about celebrating the child than just the mother.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,047,444 times
Ten years is a long time between babies. A lot of the items the OP might have stored away have probably been recalled for something or another. She might be having a child of the opposite sex this time. I have no issue with a shower for the 2nd child, especially when it's been so long since the first one.

But, yeah OP, it still is considered tacky to throw your own. I think it is now thought ok to have a relative officially host, (even if you are paying for it). A meet the baby party is different, but serves the same purpose, people come bearing gifts, which should be opened in their presence and cooed over.

I saw a really cute idea for a shower recently. The hostess handed out plain white onesies, and left fabric markers on the tables for the guests to decorate.
Yahoo! Image Search Results for baby shower onesies decorating

ETA: My first two were 5 years apart, and I was thrown showers for both, hosted by friends. The 2nd and 3rd were very close together, and still my friends threw a shower, but on a much smaller scale.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,360,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Sadly more and more moms are having second showers thrown for them. I really shake my head at them. I find it tacky especially since many of these that i've been invited to - they just had a baby like 2 years ago!! I politely decline since I dont approve of second showers and just bring a small gift after the baby is born.
I agree. I don't know anyone who had a 2nd baby shower, no matter how far apart their kids are. Usually you buy the 2nd kid stuff after they are born, but not a full blown shower.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM

861 posts, read 2,725,062 times
I think age gaps / different genders are horrible reasons to have 2nd showers.
Just because you insisted that your first born be draped in all things pink doesn't mean it's your friends' & family's responsibilities to purchase all things blue when you decide to pop out another kid 10 months later. Sorry, but that's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting