Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times

Advertisements

Yet another media hoopla as Victoria's Secret has launched a new line for spring break called "Bright Young Things".
Que the pandemonium as someone has twisted the ad and ran with it.
Many parents are up in arms assuming this was made for their tween and teen, when in fact it hasn't been.

Do tween want to wear this stuff? Yes.
Do they fit in it? Yes.
Does it make it for them? No.

Should we not make anything sexy that small in size to sell in stores?
I have a few friends and one coworker who wear the same size clothes as most 12/13 year olds. We're all 0 or smaller.

Should smaller women be left to shop in the children s sections because some parents rather pull it off the shelves than parent and say no to their child?

Great idea.

What's your take on the whole situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
The PINK line is marketed towards teens and 20 somethings. Its been around for over 10 years now, so I'm not really sure why all of a sudden people are making a big deal about it. Do teens and "tweens" buy this stuff? Yes. But don't they also need (maybe not need, but would like) lounge wear, underwear, and bras? And again, they've been buying it for the past 10 years.

Not sure what smaller women have to do with anything. They sell XS sizes in any of the other VS lines. And the PINK line doesn't just come in small sizes, it ranges from the XS- L.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I get two or three VS catalogs a week in the mail. My oldest loves their sweats but she agrees that the PINK ads are generally pretty trashy. If they've stepped it up a notch I haven't noticed. I always see young teens over on the PINK side of VS.

If Victoria's Secret stuff is too big for you, try Aeropostale.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,971 times
Idk, I feel that if this "sexy" ilunderwear isn't being pitched to 12 years olds (i.e a 12 y.o modeling the clothes) then it's fine; yeah I'm sure they do wear it, but I feel like put certain things on a12 y.o causes issues because of the apparent sex appeal.

Otherwise go for it. And Julie, I don't think it's fair for a grown woman to HAVE to shop at aero, I mean your a grown woman.

Now there are a ton of other stores which I love.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
I can't even shop at VS any longer. Since of seeing all the very young girls there parading around in their Ugg boots, words across their rear end sweat pants and Columbia jackets. Girls in the VS store around here don't even look to be older than 12 and probably don't have enough boobs, hips and ass to fill the the costs for what the parents are spending.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,971 times
LOL I'm sorry, the way I read that made me laugh.

Here, it's usually high schoolers walking around with PINK stamped on their butt, it's also usually those same HS kids who go to VS and don't have boobs, but at HS age I see nothing wrong with wanting to shop at VS

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
If the bra fits, wear it...

My 11 year old has a couple of VS bras. Not because she begged for them or because they were marketed toward her age group, but because they're nicely made and fit well. One VS bra costs about as much as three teen Maidenform bras and lasts as long as the three Maidenform bras.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
All this blather and I have yet to see anything that supports the idea that this is being marketed to TWEENS. Pink has always been for the college-teen set and this appears to be nothing but a new slogan for pink. So where did the tweens come from?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
Pink for younger kids (tweens) yet they offer the "date panty" which "isn't quite a thong, but not a cheekster either" Or the pair of underwear with "Now or never" written on the rear. Just what young children need exposed to.

I am so thankful I have a boy.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The PINK line is marketed towards teens and 20 somethings. Its been around for over 10 years now, so I'm not really sure why all of a sudden people are making a big deal about it. Do teens and "tweens" buy this stuff? Yes. But don't they also need (maybe not need, but would like) lounge wear, underwear, and bras? And again, they've been buying it for the past 10 years.

Not sure what smaller women have to do with anything. They sell XS sizes in any of the other VS lines. And the PINK line doesn't just come in small sizes, it ranges from the XS- L.
My whole point was some parents are like OMG that fits my child, it shouldn't be available in my child's size, that's so inappropriate, when in fact it WASNT made for their child it was made for some one smaller.

I used myself as an example, I can fit into a 12/14 in girls and I'm a 32A. If VS and my stores didn't make clothes small enough for me, I'd be forced to wear kids crap, yet some people get upset because their precious little 11 year old can fit into the smallest sizes at VS so therefore VS is the devil and marketing to young girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I get two or three VS catalogs a week in the mail. My oldest loves their sweats but she agrees that the PINK ads are generally pretty trashy. If they've stepped it up a notch I haven't noticed. I always see young teens over on the PINK side of VS.

If Victoria's Secret stuff is too big for you, try Aeropostale.
Ugh, Aero is for tweens.
And VS isn't too big for me or people my size, they have my size there but what I was saying is most young girls can fit into a 32A, and VS sells that size but it doesn't make it for young girls, just the boob challenged girls such as myself.

Side note: Went to try and find bras at a Wal-Mart, lady told me to go look in the little girls section, I looked at her like she just sprouted genitals off her forehead and told her politely that I was in my 20's and needed something that looked like an adult would wear.

I've heard first hand women in stores with their kids, "OMG why is this so small, a child could wear this, why do they make it small enough for a child?" Because lady there are some women the size of a 12 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting