Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM

18,156 posts, read 17,155,129 times

Advertisements

Girls have always enjoyed playing dress up. They've been emulating older sisters, their moms, celebs..

The clothing stores have caught on to that and are now running with it. I would be hesitant, myself, to bring a tween into a "sexy" store like VS to buy clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,173,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Misses clothes are ugly, don't fit 20 something's how we like and Tweens shouldn't shop in juniors because it offers too broad an age range and thongs and cute bras are in the juniors section for the older girls, which is fine because 16 or 17 is plenty old enough.
I always felt like Jr department was for tweens and teens. Once you're in your 20s, its time to move on from the cheap clothes found in those departments. I'm not sure where you shop, but even places like Kohls and Macys have cuter clothes outside of the junior department.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always felt like Jr department was for tweens and teens. Once you're in your 20s, its time to move on from the cheap clothes found in those departments. I'm not sure where you shop, but even places like Kohls and Macys have cuter clothes outside of the junior department.
Which is why the best places to shop for college/older are store which don't have departments.
AE, Maurice's, express, etc

Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am trying to understand how clothing design or where txt shops has anything to do with parenting.
Agreed.

Please remember the OP topic - the clothing lines being marketed, or that parents may assume are marketed, to our kids. Let's try to get back on track please.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-28-2013 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Which is why the best places to shop for college/older are store which don't have departments. AE, Maurice's, express, etc
But then Express doesn't even have clothes for teens or tweens, so that isn't even relevant to your prefrence of the Junior department over the "adult" sections. Express is definitely more business casual, which would be for young adults and older.

I've never heard of Maurice's, but from the looks of their website it looks like the Jr section at Kohls, which is just cheap ill fitting clothes.

I haven't had a desire to shop at AE or such stores (Abrocrombie, Areopostale, etc.) since I was like 14 so I can't really comment on their young adult clothes. Are they no longer considered appropriate for middle school/high school kids? I teach a 7th grade class, and they all seem to wear AE clothes. Seems to mostly be t-shirts, jeans, and hoodies. Nothing really scandalous about their clothes. But then again, I don't see what is so scandalous about the hoodies, t-shirts, and other lounge wear that makes up a majority of the PINK line at VS.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
But then Express doesn't even have clothes for teens or tweens, so that isn't even relevant to your prefrence of the Junior department over the "adult" sections. Express is definitely more business casual, which would be for young adults and older.

I've never heard of Maurice's, but from the looks of their website it looks like the Jr section at Kohls, which is just cheap ill fitting clothes.

I haven't had a desire to shop at AE or such stores (Abrocrombie, Areopostale, etc.) since I was like 14 so I can't really comment on their young adult clothes. Are they no longer considered appropriate for middle school/high school kids? I teach a 7th grade class, and they all seem to wear AE clothes. Seems to mostly be t-shirts, jeans, and hoodies. Nothing really scandalous about their clothes. But then again, I don't see what is so scandalous about the hoodies, t-shirts, and other lounge wear that makes up a majority of the PINK line at VS.
The hoodies, t-shirts, etc. aren't really the scandalous thing (other than the fact that some of those garments have VS logos on them). I think it has more to do with the fact that parents are bringing their tweens/teens into what amounts to a sexy store for grown up ladies and purchasing clothes for their kids to wear. On the one hand it's understandable that the clothes are trendy and the kids want them. But still..they seem kind of young to be in that particular store buying clothes. And really, a little girl shopping in the ladies dept at any store seems, well, young to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The hoodies, t-shirts, etc. aren't really the scandalous thing (other than the fact that some of those garments have VS logos on them). I think it has more to do with the fact that parents are bringing their tweens/teens into what amounts to a sexy store for grown up ladies and purchasing clothes for their kids to wear.
What about the stand alone PINK stores, are those appropriate to take a teen shopping at? Since there they will only be exposed to the PINK dog logo, and not have to see any clothes that might actually have the VS logo on them.

And not everything VS sells would be considered "sexy." They sell basics as well. As much as some parents might hate it, bras and underwear are things that young teens also need. Why do they have to be stuck wearing fruit of the loom training bras and 6 pack underwear? Why not let them wear bras and underwear that are a little more trendy and stylish? Its underwear, it goes under their clothes, they'll be the only ones seeing it.

Even places like Target and Walmart sell "sexy" grown up things, is that also a place that children shouldn't shop because they might accidentally see a thong or nightie?

Its Victoria Secrets, its pretty tame stuff. Its not like these teens are shopping for clothes at the Playboy or Hustler sex shops.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,080,349 times
Quote:
And not everything VS sells would be considered "sexy." They sell basics as well. As much as some parents might hate it, bras and underwear are things that young teens also need. Why do they have to be stuck wearing fruit of the loom training bras and 6 pack underwear? Why not let them wear bras and underwear that are a little more trendy and stylish? Its underwear, it goes under their clothes, they'll be the only ones seeing it.
Exactly! They're already at that horrible awkward stage and having to deal with crappy middle school experiences...if having nice underpants can give them some confidence and help them to like their changing bodies a bit more, what's wrong with it?

My daughter has VS bras and cute underpants...she even owns a couple of (gasp!) thongs. As long as no one sees it, who cares?

Let's see...boys going through puberty get wet dreams and muscles, girls get periods and bras. It's grossly unfair. Why not let girls enjoy some of the things that make being a woman fun, like cute underwear?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,227,087 times
Quote:
I'm not ready for khakis and floral shirts....neither is anyone else I know, therefore we still shop in juniors.
Why, you young whippersnapper! I'm 59 and I don't own any khakis or floral shirts.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,124,550 times
Quote:
What about the stand alone PINK stores, are those appropriate to take a teen shopping at? Since there they will only be exposed to the PINK dog logo, and not have to see any clothes that might actually have the VS logo on them.

Even places like Target and Walmart sell "sexy" grown up things, is that also a place that children shouldn't shop because they might accidentally see a thong or nightie?

Its Victoria Secrets, its pretty tame stuff. Its not like these teens are shopping for clothes at the Playboy or Hustler sex shops.
This is what I've never understood. Why do you need cute and trendy bras and underwear if no one is going to see it? It's why I never saw the point in buying "sexy" underwear. No one was going to see it, so why not buy the cheap and comfortable stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting