Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
You are looking at the wrong stores. Try Nordstrom's, or Bloomingdale's. Or Boutiques. You will be able to find a myriad of bright, neon, tight, sexy clothes in the misses department.

Kohl's is pretty generic.

There are so many shops, from which to choose, especially online, that age appropriate style, should not be such a problem. Fit is essential, so it might be much more of a challenge to fit a larger, more developed child or tween with appopriate clothing, but there is no reason to take them into VS.
I shop at the right stores.
I clearance hunt at the mall for my favorite things and of course gift cards for birthdays and such.

AE, hollister, target has cute things in the juniors dept.
Maurice's, buckle if its super clearanced, forever 21.

Most AE, hollister and Maurice's.

Hollister has the best low rise, it's the lowest rise sold that I've found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
You may have worked "retail" for 8 years (find that hard to believe since you were a babysitter, worked security and recently left bed bath & beyond to work Justice) but you sure don't know much about clothing design.

Just because certain types of people can still fit into certain types of clothes, doesn't mean they were tailored for them. Take some professional apparel sewing classes, you may learn a thing or two.
And juniors only go up higher because of vanity sizing and the average american getting bigger!
Tops in jrs are all basically straight lines right down the sides.
Whether you want to realize it or not, junior clothing is cut narrower in the hips, thighs and crotch area. The rear ends are cut with deeper yoke, which means that even if I can fit into a jr 7, with my wider hips, it creates half my ass hanging out, because the jeans are not designed for womanly figures. Period.

Misses have more of a wider seem at hips, waist and thighs and curves cut in, a bit more of a yoke and deeper crotch. Shirts have bigger seam and curves

Juniors run in odd numbers while Misses are even sized.

A 11/12 yr old may be able to FIT into a 00/0 in women's, but trust me, the fit does not look well on them at all as they don't have the structures yet to fill the clothes in the way they were designed.

It is just like me trying to wear say the Incredible Hulk's pants. I may fit into them, but they sure as heck are not going to look well on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No no no.
JUSTICE clothes....THAT age group has the straighter fits for girls with no shape.
Justice jeans have a higher waist rise.

The juniors department in stores is for girls who do have shape.
Juniors departments run in women's sizes, starting at 0 and running in even or odd number.
Tween clothes still run on the girls clothing spectrum, 6-20.

Tweens and young teens still fit into the higher sizes of girls clothing.

Now, that said once a girl hits about a 12 or 14 they can fit into women's size 0.

At justice I can wear a 14 slim, which means its a 12 in the waist but a 14 in the length but at AE, Maurice's any mall store I am a 0.

So around 11 or 12 girls can start to fit into the 00/0(adults clothing) sizes but those shirts are more low cut, sexier and the jeans are a lot lower.

So since juniors runs on a 0-20 scale and not the 6-20 scale girls clothes are they are NOT made for Tweens or prepubescent girls.

I've worked retail for nearly 8 years now, I know this stuff.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
I clearance hunt at the mall for my favorite things and of course gift cards for birthdays and such.

And all of those stores you have mentioned are all junior clothing, to include the majority of what Target carries (most go near the maternity stuff for the very few racks of real womens cut)

Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default Not what I meant

Quote:

I'm not sure if you are doing it on purpose - but you are missing my point. My point was that the type of clothes you like can be found in the misses section of some stores and boutiques--not just in Juniors.

I agree that all the places you mention are fine for your personal style, such as it is, but not for young kids. An example is underwear at VS vs. Kohl' s for kids. One is not like the other and may or may not be appropriate. THAT is where good parenting comes in for a child, and good taste and maturity comes in for a young adult.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Protesting this kind of crap is a waste of energy. Yes, it's unfortunate that our society exploits body objectification and the oversexualization of our youth. But the only way that's ever going to change is if we as a society change. But forward progress in this arena is highly unlikely - count how many bedazzled-butt jegging and ugg wearing fake-n-bake MILF's you see in a day, walking with their overly-groomed pretty husbands. Sad and pathetic - but that's what we've been reduced to. Appearances matter... in such a way that you must look nothing like nature intended. (If you do, you're a careless slob, or a hippie.)

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you don't want your daughter wearing that crap, don't buy it for her. She will probably use her babysitting money to go out and buy it for herself when she thinks you're not looking (or when you are too busy staring at a screen somewhere to notice what your daughter is up to), but that's out of your control (mostly). The only thing or person you truly have control over is yourself.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
I am trying to understand how clothing design or where txt shops has anything to do with parenting.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
You may have worked "retail" for 8 years (find that hard to believe since you were a babysitter, worked security and recently left bed bath & beyond to work Justice) but you sure don't know much about clothing design.

Just because certain types of people can still fit into certain types of clothes, doesn't mean they were tailored for them. Take some professional apparel sewing classes, you may learn a thing or two.
And juniors only go up higher because of vanity sizing and the average american getting bigger!
Tops in jrs are all basically straight lines right down the sides.
Whether you want to realize it or not, junior clothing is cut narrower in the hips, thighs and crotch area. The rear ends are cut with deeper yoke, which means that even if I can fit into a jr 7, with my wider hips, it creates half my ass hanging out, because the jeans are not designed for womanly figures. Period.

Misses have more of a wider seem at hips, waist and thighs and curves cut in, a bit more of a yoke and deeper crotch. Shirts have bigger seam and curves

Juniors run in odd numbers while Misses are even sized.

A 11/12 yr old may be able to FIT into a 00/0 in women's, but trust me, the fit does not look well on them at all as they don't have the structures yet to fill the clothes in the way they were designed.

It is just like me trying to wear say the Incredible Hulk's pants. I may fit into them, but they sure as heck are not going to look well on me
Well then I guess preteens should stay out of AE then cause they run even.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am trying to understand how clothing design or where txt shops has anything to do with parenting.
It got a little off topic.
We were discussing stores and such and someone said misses was the second section.
Then someone directly said something to me and we know I can't ignore it when someone does that to me so I had to respond, just how I roll.

Anyways back on topic.

Misses clothes are ugly, don't fit 20 something's how we like and Tweens shouldn't shop in juniors because it offers too broad an age range and thongs and cute bras are in the juniors section for the older girls, which is fine because 16 or 17 is plenty old enough.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Protesting this kind of crap is a waste of energy. Yes, it's unfortunate that our society exploits body objectification and the oversexualization of our youth. But the only way that's ever going to change is if we as a society change. But forward progress in this arena is highly unlikely - count how many bedazzled-butt jegging and ugg wearing fake-n-bake MILF's you see in a day, walking with their overly-groomed pretty husbands. Sad and pathetic - but that's what we've been reduced to. Appearances matter... in such a way that you must look nothing like nature intended. (If you do, you're a careless slob, or a hippie.)

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you don't want your daughter wearing that crap, don't buy it for her. She will probably use her babysitting money to go out and buy it for herself when she thinks you're not looking (or when you are too busy staring at a screen somewhere to notice what your daughter is up to), but that's out of your control (mostly). The only thing or person you truly have control over is yourself.
If we truly went by what nature intended us to look like then we'd all be naked and hairy and we once were.

I see nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and dressing nicely.

We wear clothes because apparently the naked body is something to be hidden and feared as some think nudity in general is sexual.

In my view the only people over sexualizing things are the people to label things sexual, like the prudes against tank tops because they don't cover everything, they made them sexual not the people wearing them.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
Try finding a Halloween costume for a tween or teen, everything is a slutty version of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting