Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Should your doctor ask your child if you own a gun?

Guidelines issued by the American Academy of Pediatric say "yes."

Doctors across the United States are being advised to interrogate children about mom and dad’s "bad" behavior.

It sounds simple enough, but the problem is that the advice ignores the benefits and exaggerates the costs of gun ownership.

FOXNews.com - Guns Don't Kill Kids, Irresponsible Adults With Guns Do - Opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,846 times
My kids doctor asked me (or I filled out a questionair) if there were guns in the house. I think I got a handout on gun safety at one of the kids check-ups. My kids are young, so I was asked, not the kids.
Parents need to be aware and lock guns in the house. Kids playing with them shoot themselves or their friends when showing them.
I did talk to my kids friends mom (whose hubby hunts) to be sure the guns they had were locked up before a playdate at their home.
I do not believe that a doctors office should file any reports, though. Just give the parents information on gun safety with the statistics of how many children are killed each year, ect.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 AM

40 posts, read 30,571 times
It aint none of any ones buisness if there are guns in my home period.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

575 posts, read 3,695,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntraveler14 View Post
I agree with that 10000000%

Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
completly agree. If the gun is owned legaly, no one has to know that I may own a gun. If my Daughters friends parents ask, I will tell them If I do or not. And will show them if they would like, where the gun is locked up. and where the ammo is (any smart person will place them both locked up, but in different spots)

the DR. is not the law.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,346 times
FWIW:
The classic kids & guns safety book is " Gunproof your Children "
by Massod Ayoob.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:

X2. I was given a sheet to fill out when I moved and switched docs. They asked the question of the form if there were guns in the house. Ijust left it blank and nobody said anything to me.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 PM

134 posts, read 590,669 times
when my kids were in to see the doctor they didnt ask me if i any guns in my home and i agree its no ones buisness if i do or not have any guns in my home.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
I was asked this every time I took my son to the doctor when we were in the military.

In the civilian world, it has been worded "Are there safety concerns in your home?"
That's what I get asked now.

I am of the belief that irresponsible parenting is the cause of 90% of the fatalities that occur when children get a loaded gun in their hand. I am sure that some have just been horrific, horrific accidents no matter how well the parents taught their children.

My dh grew up in a mini-arsenal b/c he grew up on a very large farm. He says that he was consistently educated on the safe handling of guns. He wants the same education for his children.

Guns are not my favorite, but I'll be damn if someone intrudes on my home & tries to endanger the life of my children. I'll have no problem using a gun then.

It's no one's business. And if you children play with children who have guns in the home & neglectful parents, your children should never be allowed in that home for sheer safety reasons.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Last time I went to the Dr's we were not asked about guns or gun safety, but the health leaflet they gave out stated the fact that having a gun in the home made you more likely to become a victim of a shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting