Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 AM

331 posts, read 1,386,632 times

Advertisements

I agree with others who have mentioned the "none of your business" thing. I don't own any guns, but why all these places feel they need to know things that are only the concenr of the individual(s) that own the home i will never get.

I wonder if it is something that started after a story i read about a couple weeks ago. There was a Dr, he took his son to a gun show at the local gun range. There was a demo with an Uzi, and his 8 y/o son was at the booth trying it out, with a liscenced instructor Supervising. Apparantly when the kid was shooting the gun, the weight and power made him lose control, and he died from a head injury.

Personal opinion, an 8 y/o doesn't need to be touching a gun, much less an Uzi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,024,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You gotta have it registered and pass the background check because otherwise that makes it illegal to have and then it's EVERYONEs business when your kid blows the neighbor kids head off.
Nope, not true. Well, maybe in California it is, but not here.

EDUCATION is the key to all types of safety! We caught our four year old cutting chunks off of a big block of cheese with a sharp kitchen knife, so we decided we had to install "childproof locks" on all the kitchen cabinets and drawers that he and his sister could reach. By the time I got the last one installed, he had figured out how to use them. We taught him the proper, safe way to use a knife instead. It would have saved a bunch of time and money to TEACH first!
Even if you don't have firearms in your home, and NEVER plan to own one, your kids should be taught what to do if they find one or visit somebody who has one! To do anything less is just stupid, IMO.
That is one advantage to be a hunter; my kids grew up knowing what a bullet will do to flesh, and it isn't clean and pretty like the movies show. EDUCATE your kids, and you will likely never have a problem! It really IS just that simple!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM

1,773 posts, read 4,873,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You gotta have it registered and pass the background check because otherwise that makes it illegal to have and then it's EVERYONEs business when your kid blows the neighbor kids head off.
Maybe where you live, a gun has to be registered. But that will be the extent of truth in your statement. I can buy a gun at a face to face transaction without ANY background check, in ANY state. Furthermore, in Florida, we don't register guns, because we support the constitution. Registering guns only creates a list of victims.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Should your doctor ask your child if you own a gun?

Guidelines issued by the American Academy of Pediatric say "yes."

Doctors across the United States are being advised to interrogate children about mom and dad’s "bad" behavior.

It sounds simple enough, but the problem is that the advice ignores the benefits and exaggerates the costs of gun ownership.

FOXNews.com - Guns Don't Kill Kids, Irresponsible Adults With Guns Do - Opinion

Bad behavior for owning a gun?
My ex was raised with guns.. They were taught how to respect them.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,289,285 times
I've never had a doctor ask if I own a gun but you better believe I ask my kids' friends parents if there are guns in the house before I let them play there. I've had some snide retorts but I'm not about to let my kids go play in somebody's house until I know the guns are locked up and the kids don't know how to get at them.

One Mom told me her dh had guns but they were locked in the gun cabinet. When my son came home he was all excited about how his friend knew where the key is, got in the cabinet and wanted to show him the guns. I informed the parents as politely as I could and weould not let my son play there until they could assure me the kids could not get to the guns.

I risked losing a friend but I would rather lose a friend than a son.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:15 PM

328 posts, read 196,802 times
Exactly why my children are NEVER left alone with some one I do not know.My wife and I actually switched our kid's doctor because the one we were using insisted on them getting their shots. We said no but every time we went for a check up or something else they always insisted so we switched. Had no problems with new doctor.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 PM

67 posts, read 165,668 times
Quote:
Exactly why my children are NEVER left alone with some one I do not know.My wife and I actually switched our kid's doctor because the one we were using insisted on them getting their shots. We said no but every time we went for a check up or something else they always insisted so we switched. Had no problems with new doctor.
Could he have been, you know, doing his job to prevent the spread of DISEASE? And don't give me that "shots cause autism", bull**** either. Measles and Mumps killed and left kids brain damaged prior to the shots. Should we just go back to the 50% child mortality rate of the 1800's , instead of giving our kids a fighting chance?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM

328 posts, read 196,802 times
It was a she actually and no she was not trying to stop the spread of anything seeing how my son who has had no shots is actually been healthier than my daughter who had shots up until she was 18 months old and was constantly sick. Also yes they do and can cause autism when they stop putting the crap they put in "vaccines" I might start allowing them to get shots again.My kids are now healthier than they have ever been, Its odd how my daughter had a rash that kept coming back and kept coming back from the time she was born until we stopped the "vaccinations". But now that she has been off them for over a year she has had no rashes! Not sick at all nothing perfectly healthy.The doctor's job is to examine the kids and prescribe medicine if needed and fix what they can fix etc. Not to harass us about vaccines. We said no once we signed their stupid little paper that is the end of it.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,705,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
It was a she actually and no she was not trying to stop the spread of anything seeing how my son who has had no shots is actually been healthier than my daughter who had shots up until she was 18 months old and was constantly sick. Also yes they do and can cause autism when they stop putting the crap they put in "vaccines" I might start allowing them to get shots again..
First, I thought this thread was about guns... .

Second, I hope your children get some awful disease that is preventable by vaccination. Really. Because there is no proof that they cause autism.

On the other hand, I'll bet you use sunscreen, disposable diapers (Do you realise the amount of chemicals that are in those things?), cleaning chemicals, lotions, etc.. Those are what I'd be careful of using, not vaccinations.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,705,906 times
Doctors have no business asking about guns. Especially asking the kids. I'd be finding another doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting