Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times

Advertisements

I believe the reason why doctor's are asking if there is guns in the house is to make sure that they are locked up out of kids reach. It has absolutely nothing to do with being anti-gun or anything of the sort. I would venture a guess that most doctors are very pro-gun. It just puts the thought into people's heads that if they are not responsible with the guns, well maybe they will take steps to do so.

I don't know why anyone has to get defensive if the doctor is just asking a simple question. It is their job to make sure that kids are safe emotionally and physically. If your guns are locked up safely and you are responsible around guns and you teach your children well, then you have nothing to get defensive about. If you are not responsible around guns well maybe that doctor will get that person thinking. Heck even if it is only one or two, that is worth the simple question.

I live in small town SC and my pediatrician asks me if there are any guns in the house. I just answer yes or no and then he tells me if there are to please make sure they are locked up. Nothing more to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntraveler14 View Post
It aint none of any ones buisness if there are guns in my home period.
You gotta have it registered and pass the background check because otherwise that makes it illegal to have and then it's EVERYONEs business when your kid blows the neighbor kids head off.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You gotta have it registered and pass the background check because otherwise that makes it illegal to have and then it's EVERYONEs business when your kid blows the neighbor kids head off.
What if the gun used to do such a horrible thing is registered?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Then you will face a lesser charge than if it is unregistered and most likely stolen. Bad things happen with guns, but if you follow the law and did everything you were supposed to do, then your ability to be believed by police goes up exponentially.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,588 times
Just curious.
Which states require that firearms be registered?
Federal law ( NFA of 1934 ) only applies to special catagories: Short barreled rifles & shotguns , etc, etc.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Colorado does not require ones gun be registered with the federal or state government to my knowledge. Does that make them illegal?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
"Are there safety concerns in your home?"

During our time in the military, this was asked of us each visit too, and the urgent care center asks as well. They weren't asking if you have guns with this question, they were/are asking if you are being abused with this question.

I am somewhat amazed that not everyone already knew that.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Registered guns never kill anybody.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntraveler14 View Post
It aint none of any ones buisness if there are guns in my home period.
"You can not give reputation to this user."

This is apparently a very popular sentiment. A better question would be "Are there any cars at your house?"

Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
If anyone asked me if there were guns in my house, I'd say "None of your damned business!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting