Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,947,540 times

Advertisements

I was just watching Inside Edition when they did a segment on Water babies photos. The previews had me feeling mixed as I was wondering how they do it. First they showed photos, most of which were lovely, one really goofy. Then it was explained that the photographer gets babies comfortable, then places lots of balls and shiny objects to distract the kids and that all of this is done under 3 seconds. At first I thought how cool and the photos does look great... until they showed the babies in the pool crying afterwards. While the parents and photographer were gushing over the photos. I feel bad for even watching now.

Babies Go Underwater to Pose for Unforgettable Moments - News from InsideEdition.com

video: Videos - Babies Go Underwater To Pose For Unforgettable Moments - InsideEdition.com

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,357,907 times
I didn't notice the part about the babies crying while the parents ignored them, if that is the case then it is wrong. However, if the babies cried for a few seconds and then were calmed by their parents and happy it is fine.

I personally wouldn't want a picture of my child/grandchild in the water unless they liked to swim or play in the water.

It always annoyed me to see pictures of children (or anyone) in an unnatural environment. Why have a picture of your child on a horse, or a swing or in a field of flowers if it was only for the photograph and not something that they liked to do? It would be like an adult putting on a tennis outfit and posing on a tennis court and they never play tennis or posing pretending to play piano or a violin if they don't really play piano or violin.

And, don't get me started about "fake" winter pictures! If you live in Florida why would you be dressed for Arctic weather with pretend snow all around you for a Christmas or holiday photograph? If you really want to have a snowy winter photo take a winter vacation up north or in the mountains and take a REAL photograph of it to share.

Rant over.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
How far is too far? Water babies photography
I was just watching Inside Edition when they did a segment on Water babies photos. The previews had me feeling mixed as I was wondering how they do it. First they showed photos, most of which were lovely, one really goofy. Then it was explained that the photographer gets babies comfortable, then places lots of balls and shiny objects to distract the kids and that all of this is done under 3 seconds. At first I thought how cool and the photos does look great... until they showed the babies in the pool crying afterwards. While the parents and photographer were gushing over the photos. I feel bad for even watching now.

Babies Go Underwater to Pose for Unforgettable Moments - News from InsideEdition.com

video: Videos - Babies Go Underwater To Pose For Unforgettable Moments - InsideEdition.com

Thoughts?
Hi Inkpoe,
I am the photographer that was on Inside Edition. I would just like to express my side of the story.
I'd like to start out by saying, I would NEVER endanger anyone to "get the shot". I love children ( am the Mom to two beautiful children) and I love photography.
Inside Edition assured me there would not be a negative spin on my photography. I don't like the way they edited to make it seem as if we were "throwing babies in the water". NOT the case at all.All of the babies on the segment have had at least 10 swim lessons with a certified professional swim instructor who was in the pool with me and the Moms. We had some crying but soothed the babies and did not push to get the shot. The crew actually told us to cycle through the photos and this was not done while babies were crying.The babies were very safe and me , the Moms, and the swim instructor made sure of that. It's a shame that a show would need to poorly edit to create a "sensation".. I am disappointed that they put such a negative twist on what could have been a nice story.
I am not a bad person that would do this sort of thing and that really hurts my feelings that they portrayed me as a negligent person that only cares about "getting the shot". I love photography and I feel blessed to be able to do something I love and to use it for good. I volunteer my time in many ways to help children, including donating my time to photograph children who are suffering from cancer and other life threatening illness. I hold photo fundraisers and donate 100% to victims of natural disasters. What a shame that I have people now thinking poorly of me. Well , all I can say is I will carry on doing what i do best, but will certainly be more careful who I let in my world.
Best regards,
Lisa

Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,452,615 times
Lisa, you are not the first and won't be the last duped by the media for a good story. editing can make the most innocent look like the devil. I knew when I watched the show it was a set up to make you look bad. Just take it with a grain of salt and consider the source. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,893,267 times
I'm shocked at what parents will do just to please themselves.
Throwing them in water and throwing a toy down to get a picture of their so called "priceless reaction"

My parents and I'm quite sure many others didn't go to extreme measure to get that one Special photo.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,452,615 times
Over forty years ago My friend had her infant in the pool dunking him between her legs and letting him pop up behind her. it was part of water play and swimming lessons. Only thing missing was a photographer so this kind of activity is not new-just the pictures.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPhoto View Post
[b]
Hi Inkpoe,
I am the photographer that was on Inside Edition. I would just like to express my side of the story.
I'd like to start out by saying, I would NEVER endanger anyone to "get the shot". I love children ( am the Mom to two beautiful children) and I love photography.
Inside Edition assured me there would not be a negative spin on my photography. I don't like the way they edited to make it seem as if we were "throwing babies in the water". NOT the case at all.All of the babies on the segment have had at least 10 swim lessons with a certified professional swim instructor who was in the pool with me and the Moms. We had some crying but soothed the babies and did not push to get the shot. The crew actually told us to cycle through the photos and this was not done while babies were crying.The babies were very safe and me , the Moms, and the swim instructor made sure of that. It's a shame that a show would need to poorly edit to create a "sensation".. I am disappointed that they put such a negative twist on what could have been a nice story.
I am not a bad person that would do this sort of thing and that really hurts my feelings that they portrayed me as a negligent person that only cares about "getting the shot". I love photography and I feel blessed to be able to do something I love and to use it for good. I volunteer my time in many ways to help children, including donating my time to photograph children who are suffering from cancer and other life threatening illness. I hold photo fundraisers and donate 100% to victims of natural disasters. What a shame that I have people now thinking poorly of me. Well , all I can say is I will carry on doing what i do best, but will certainly be more careful who I let in my world.
Best regards,
Lisa
Ah, ok.

They are quite beautiful pictures. I love the concept of underwater photography after seeing this Hawaiian lady, she had long black hair and a red dress and it made for a striking picture. So when I saw the babies versions, I just didn't know what to make of it. I felt really bad for the crying babies, but it does make me feel better to know there's already some swimming lessons and that there's a instructor there as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
Smile Thank you!

Thank you for hearing my side.. I appreciate it, and like I said I would never put a baby in harms way to "get the shot".
Thank you

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,458,534 times
I am glad you are here to defend your side Lisa. It's a shame how terrifically unethical journalism has become.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,403,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am glad you are here to defend your side Lisa. It's a shame how terrifically unethical journalism has become.
No journalist considers Inside Edition journalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting