Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

Advertisements

You're fooling yourself if you think submerging babies under water will EVER be a "life saving skill" theyreinphx...for who may I ask?...You're right about me having a problem with forcing infants under water..... though I don't have a problem with "swim lessons" for youngsters...and this isn't about me and any problems I may have at all theyreinphx...it IS all about the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
I saw the Inside Edition episode and had no bad feelings about it.....never gave it a second thought until I ran across this thread.

Babies cry.....a lot....over many things.....over nothing.....that does not mean they are being mistreated.

Sometimes babies cry when their diapers are changed, or when they are fed, or when they are cuddled, or when they get a bath........that doesn't mean you shouldn't do those things. Babies are fickle, they cry.....end of story as far as I am concerned.

I see nothing wrong with babies being taught to swim or having their pictures taken while learning. In fact, I think it is a good idea to teach children/babies to swim....the sooner the better. It could save their life one day.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM

The bradycardic response (dive reflex) is what causes babies to hold their breath and open their eyes when submerged. Parents can see this same response by blowing in their childs face. Until about 6 months old a baby placed in the water tummy side down will move their legs and arms in a swimming motion...When the swimming refex, and the diving reflex are both engaged, a baby can [look] like a natural swimmer. Realistically these natural reflexes do not mean the infant can swim, and it doesn't protect the baby from drowning...I'm all for enjoying the water with our babies, teaching them to swim in a fun way (for child and parent), but I'm not about to subject a child to a surprise dunking so I can gaze in awe at a picture that's captured a natural survival reflex, and nothing more.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Whatever purehuman. You are entitled to your opinions. No one is talking about "if someone wasn't there to pull them out the'd die". NO ONE. There are plenty of people nearby. The baby is in good hands. Even my daughter who doesn't like the water still knows to hold her breath. In no way do I see it as cruel unless the child is obviously not happy. I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't do it. The rest, we can agree to disagree.
You're right ,NO ONE is talking "if someone wasn't there to pull them out", I'm just wondering how many of the parents would submit themselves to a forced and potentially deadly situation, because they know "there are plenty of people nearby", and they "are in good hands"...I just feel these little ones have no say in it, and find that grossly unfair....if they could talk, and knew what was going to happen they'd probably all be crying LOUDLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting