Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,355 times

Advertisements

Infant sleep training news: 'Cry it out' does no harm - CSMonitor.com

Personally, i'm happy to see that evidence suggests I haven't warped my ~almost 3year old. I am also to hear that the soon-to-be born child can go through the same process.

So many times I've been in conversations with famalies about the 2-3year olds and how they can't sleep through the nite or other craziness. . .and i'm like - SERIOUSLY

Sleep was sooo important to us. As soon as they said he was young enough, we jumped on it

Of course we needed the mytotclock to keep him bed, but thats another story.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,235,157 times
This looks like a parenting article than anything political or controversial.

Just my five cents.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
This looks like a parenting article than anything political or controversial.

Just my five cents.
Its controversial - to parents.

???

Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
I've never let any of our babies "cry it out". and I don't care if the "experts" say it's ok, or not...I just wouldn't.....how many other animals would expect their babies to sleep seperated from them, and let them cry....none, that I know of, we seem to be the only animals that do this, and think it's normal, or ok.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,610,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I've never let any of our babies "cry it out". and I don't care if the "experts" say it's ok, or not...I just wouldn't.....how many other animals would expect their babies to sleep seperated from them, and let them cry....none, that I know of, we seem to be the only animals that do this, and think it's normal, or ok.
I agree. Babies cry for a reason and they need their mamas. Older toddlers, on the other hand, may need to cry it out now and then, depending.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Infant sleep training news: 'Cry it out' does no harm - CSMonitor.com

Personally, i'm happy to see that evidence suggests I haven't warped my ~almost 3year old. I am also to hear that the soon-to-be born child can go through the same process.

So many times I've been in conversations with famalies about the 2-3year olds and how they can't sleep through the nite or other craziness. . .and i'm like - SERIOUSLY

Sleep was sooo important to us. As soon as they said he was young enough, we jumped on it

Of course we needed the mytotclock to keep him bed, but thats another story.
I think it's important to emphasise that the study shows no harm from a "graduated sleep training" method which includes short intervals of crying followed by a parent's comforting response rather then what many think of as "cry it out", which includes letting a baby cry indefinitely until they fall asleep on thier own.

Also, keep in mind that sleep is sooo important to every parent and the results of the study show that there is no difference in sleep habits of children who co-slept vs children who's parents used a graduated sleep method so judging parents of children who don't sleep through the night at 2 or 3 seems kind of counterproductive and well...judgemental.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
From the article on page 2:

Quote:
Meanwhile, another tidbit from the research: sleep training, the scholars found, does work in the short term to help babies fall asleep more quickly and sleep longer at night. But in the long term? There’s no difference in the level of sleep problems among children who have had sleep training and those who haven’t.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
I did CIO with both kids. Both children slept through the night and self soothed from a very early age. People who insist that CIO (or other methods of teaching self soothing) are wrong are the only ones I've ever heard complain about a two or three year old still waking up at night regularly.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I did CIO with both kids. Both children slept through the night and self soothed from a very early age. People who insist that CIO (or other methods of teaching self soothing) are wrong are the only ones I've ever heard complain about a two or three year old still waking up at night regularly.

Really? I've heard parents who use a wide variety of methods talk about dealing with kids who don't sleep through the night.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I agree. Babies cry for a reason and they need their mamas. Older toddlers, on the other hand, may need to cry it out now and then, depending.
Or Daddys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting