Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 7,757,140 times

Advertisements

I know of a couple of which both parents smoke cigarettes. They have a 14 year old boy that they allow to smoke also. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Cigarettes cause cancer and are bad for your health. To me it seems like it could be considered a form of child abuse.

I can understand if he were 18 and smoked. At least he would be of an age to make his own decision but for 2 parents to let him smoke now at such a young age seems so wrong.

Next he will be out there drinking a mixed drink with his cigs.....not good parenting.

Is it just me that feels this way or do others think this is ok and no biggy. If they want to allow their kids to smoke then that's their business....

How do you feel about it?

Remember the woman that got in trouble for taking her kid to a tanning salon? Isn't this worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,944 times
I started smoking at 16. I just experimented. I really didn't make it a habit.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
I'm 66 now and I agree that allowing anyone under 18 to smoke is not to smart. That said, it could be that the parents generation didn't see smoking as a grievous sin like so many people have been brainwashed into today. When I was a boy (about 10 or 11 my dad told me if you buy'em you can smoke'm just stay outta of mine) but that was a different time.

While no one will dispute that smoking isn't the best habit there is also a huge amount of information out there about tobacco and smoking that is just plain wrong. The average person doesn't care if the information they get about tobacco and smoking is correct or not the dogma from the anti tobacco groups is much easier to swallow and repeat.

God knows there is more than enough meddling in personal affairs by different groups with their own agenda that when broken down means more money for them. I say it's better for a young person to smoke than it is for them to play with drugs.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I say it's better for a young person to smoke than it is for them to play with drugs.
I say it's better for a young person to do neither.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
I would never look the other way if one of my teens smoked, but then, I am not a smoker myself. My husband started smoking at 16 (both his parents are heavy smokers), and never stopped until his first heart issue at 36 years old. His parents would buy him cigarettes when he was a teenager.

If my children wanted to smoke after they became adults (I can't imagine this, due to them watching their Dad suffer with health issues that were partially attributed to smoking), I would let them know I did not approve. In fact, family functions would be odd because they would have to sit in their car to smoke and then be hosed down with Febreeze before they could come back in my house.

I sure as heck would not buy cartons of cigarettes for them .

Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I say it's better for a young person to do neither.
Always go with the lesser of two evils so you have a chance to change their mind later. Go off in your face to a kid is a challenge that will not be over looked!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Always go with the lesser of two evils so you have a chance to change their mind later. Go off in your face to a kid is a challenge that will not be over looked!
Really? Allow one because, what, Mom and Dad are afraid to lay down the law in their own home?

lol. The law got laid down in our house. If they wanted to continue to put their feet under our dinner table they knew that smoking and drugs were not happening.

BTW: They're all grown up and they're too "Crunchy Granola My Body Is My Temple" do do either. Gee.... I wonder how that happened? Maybe because their parents weren't afraid of them?

Edit to add: Who is going to pay for the cigs? Mom? Dad? Guess again. They knew if they got smoked they were going to be out a lot of cash. Momma's not handing over hard earned money for Junior to smoke and look cool. There were actual chats about "It's better if you don't even start. Because, trust us, you can't afford it."

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Quote:
I'm 66 now and I agree that allowing anyone under 18 to smoke is not to smart. That said, it could be that the parents generation didn't see smoking as a grievous sin like so many people have been brainwashed into today. When I was a boy (about 10 or 11 my dad told me if you buy'em you can smoke'm just stay outta of mine) but that was a different time.

While no one will dispute that smoking isn't the best habit there is also a huge amount of information out there about tobacco and smoking that is just plain wrong. The average person doesn't care if the information they get about tobacco and smoking is correct or not the dogma from the anti tobacco groups is much easier to swallow and repeat.

God knows there is more than enough meddling in personal affairs by different groups with their own agenda that when broken down means more money for them. I say it's better for a young person to smoke than it is for them to play with drugs.
Gee---wonder if you are a smoker today????

Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I lit my first cigarette in 5th grade but that was to prove a point and it worked. After that I did not smoke again until I was a sophomore in high school and I bought my own cigarettes with my babysitting money and my Mother knew I smoked but it was not illegal then to smoke at the age of 13 or 14 nor was it illegal to purchase cigarettes at that age because I used to go in and purchase my Mother's all the time. I smoke, I haven't done any excessive drinking since the age of 15 (6 years before I could legally purchase liquor) and I don't do drugs, never liked them, never got involved with anyone who did partake in drugs.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM

80 posts, read 345,175 times
I started to smoke when i was 16 i was curious tried i coughed badly and felt happy for a moment but for some reason never addicted i quit a month later it was stupid and waste of $$$ especially in nj for cigerettes im 19 im happy i quit i could run faster then before and exercise longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting