Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Every single of them (there were 10 or 11, men and women) told me it was harder for them to kick the smoking habit than to kick heroin.
That has been widely reported for years.

I smoked for 21 years and tried everything. Surprisingly Chantix was the magic bullet. Quit in 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Years ago I sat in on an a series of AA and NA meetings with a group of heroin addicts. Every single of them (there were 10 or 11, men and women) told me it was harder for them to kick the smoking habit than to kick heroin. The meetings were inside a rehab facility which had a strict no-smoking policy. These people had people on the outside sneaking cigarettes (not heroin) into the patio area so they could have a smoke.

I thought that was fascinating.
Yes, Nicotine is hard to stop since science has recently discovered that the human brain has receptors specifically designed for nicotine uptake!!!!

Chantax (a dangerous stop smoking drug) works by filling these nicotine receptors to keep the brain from wanting to fill them with nicotine.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I started smoking in my mid teens. I had an aunt and uncle who were heavy smokers, and when I wanted to light up, I'd go to their house, They didn't care if I smoked. My dad knew I smoked - he started himself when he was nine. My mother didn't approve of my smoking at all, so I never did it in her house. When I got married, DH didn't like the smell. After all, it was his house, too. It wasn't until I realized how much I was spending on cigarettes, and saw an expensive camera I wanted, that I made the effort to quit. Also, at that time, my uncle (who's house I'd go to when I wanted to smoke) died of lung cancer. My aunt died ten years later of emphysema. I was 22 when I quit smoking. Not quite a year later, DH bought me that camera with the money I would have spent on cigarrettes. That was 30 years ago, and I still have the camera.

Neither of my daughters smoke, or have ever tried it.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
In response to the original post....

I think it is incredibly irresponsible for parents to "allow" a 14 yo child to smoke. Technically it is illegal as there is no state that permits sale of/providing of tobacco to minors.

It is just plain "wrong" on so many levels....

The 14 yo is at an age where he will likely become a lifelong smoker by starting at this age, no parent, smoker or not should be encouraging that outcome.

No need for this to be a smoker vs nonsmoker war. Is there really an argument to be made that this acceptable behavior on the part of a parent? I don't think it can be legitimately defended.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Forget the cancer issues... a couple of my kids started smoking ...I smoked- but they were smarter than me...they gave up the habit....One of my children attempted to give me a light for a cigarette..I would not allow it...it was bad enough that I smoked and I did not want their assistance ....letting your kid smoke tobacco or dope openly when they are 14 is as trashy as you can get....I set a bad example when my kids were young- Once they discovered dad was an idiot...They thought for themselves...If a parent condones smoking- the child will never figure out that the parents are idiots....Even if you smoke- you must never give the impression that it is good and normal...My kids are insisting I quit- their grandmother is dying as we speak...she ruined her circulatory system through a life time of smoking- now they can't even chop off her feet to save her- It is a slow death..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
In response to the original post....

I think it is incredibly irresponsible for parents to "allow" a 14 yo child to smoke. Technically it is illegal as there is no state that permits sale of/providing of tobacco to minors.

It is just plain "wrong" on so many levels....

The 14 yo is at an age where he will likely become a lifelong smoker by starting at this age, no parent, smoker or not should be encouraging that outcome.

No need for this to be a smoker vs nonsmoker war. Is there really an argument to be made that this acceptable behavior on the part of a parent? I don't think it can be legitimately defended.
I agree.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,114 times
My parents let me smoke when they caught me in the act at 14. I still smoke and when my kids were about 12 I told them that if they were smart they would never start smoking. Being a smoker myself, it would be hypocritical to forbit them to smoke.
My two oldest, now 23 and 20 never did start smoking. My youngest now 18 is a smoker, I found out he started smoking two years ago. As he already was smoking for about a year I knew he would smoke, with or without my permission so let him smoke at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting