Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times

Advertisements

Good for you! Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM

14,414 posts, read 22,657,358 times
I will, thanks

Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM

354 posts, read 717,224 times
To the op- in answer to your question for the last couple of years after grad school, I have been working with at risk children-displaying many of the behaviors your son is. Right now I am finishing up a k12 special ed credential and most recently taught high school, though I worked with kids your sons age and younger before that. I do NOT think corporal (spanking) punishment is the way ti go. He needs to learn more appropriate ways of dealing with other kids. this is where you can model these behaviors and discuss inappropriate behavior. you can practice what IS appropriate in a safe non judgmental environment by role playing with him.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,923,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thanks to all of you. I read all your posts and I realize that punish him is nota good idea. But at the same time I want him to understand that violent behavior is not accepted.
Today we signed him for a soccer team for 5-7 year old. I am going to try my hardest to change the way I do things.
Good luck and good for you! In addition to the great suggestion as about team sports and socializing opportunities with same-aged peers, I love the suggestions about role-playing. At six, even if socializing with other kids is out of his realm of routine experience, you can help him learn the steps of social problem solving (e.g., what to do when he wants to play, what to do when someone takes something from him) and practice the proposed solution (have him help you come up with the solution, with you giving more input at first and then fading it over time so he is giving more input). Let me do a little searching and see if I can find a few resources, but I agree with PPs that getting him experience with other kids, like with soccer, will probably help a ton.

ETA: Ok, So the reference for the Steps for Solving Problems is a magnet on my fridge (from the committee for children - a nonprofit focused on social and academic success for young learners; Committee for Children | Skills for Social and Academic Success - there's some good research there, but feel free to ignore the store. The problem solving steps are standard paradigm, language adjusted for kids.):
1. What is the problem?
2. What are some solutions?
3. For each solution, ask yourself:
a) Is it safe?
b) How might people feel about it?
c) Is it fair?
d) Will it work?
4. Is it working? If not, what can I do now?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-22-2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,715,902 times
Well you are doing it all wrong. Throw out all the ideas and start teaching your kid how to be a kid, how to play, how to have fun, how to be himself. A single kid must be given the opportunity to learn what kids that develope in a group know by instinct. You have to be not only mom or dad but brother or sister. It will take additional time and focus on people skills acquirement.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,578,290 times
He needs to be active. I suggest swimming lessons, soccer, and give him back his toys. No wonder he is with you all the time, he has nothing to do!

Children act out externally for internal problems, because they lack the cognitive processing skills and expressive language to discuss their problems. I think that the moving and chnages have been hard on him. And I think you are being too harsh, and have higher expectations of behavior than is developmentally appropriate for him. He is a bit delayed in social skill development. Give the kid a break. And get him a pet. Maybe a cat.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
He needs to be active. I suggest swimming lessons, soccer, and give him back his toys. No wonder he is with you all the time, he has nothing to do!

Children act out externally for internal problems, because they lack the cognitive processing skills and expressive language to discuss their problems. I think that the moving and chnages have been hard on him. And I think you are being too harsh, and have higher expectations of behavior than is developmentally appropriate for him. He is a bit delayed in social skill development. Give the kid a break. And get him a pet. Maybe a cat.
I wrote this a few posts up.
"Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot
Thanks to all of you. I read all your posts and I realize that punish him is nota good idea. But at the same time I want him to understand that violent behavior is not accepted.
Today we signed him for a soccer team for 5-7 year old. I am going to try my hardest to change the way I do things."

and I have a pet.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Well you are doing it all wrong. Throw out all the ideas and start teaching your kid how to be a kid, how to play, how to have fun, how to be himself. A single kid must be given the opportunity to learn what kids that develope in a group know by instinct. You have to be not only mom or dad but brother or sister. It will take additional time and focus on people skills acquirement.

Today we signed him for a soccer team for 5-7 year old. I am going to try my hardest to change the way I do things."

IS this wrong???I am confused. What else can I do??

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,132,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

IS this wrong???I am confused. What else can I do??
No, ignore the posters who don't offer advice and just tell you you are wrong. You are changing what you do and that is good. Sometimes people post without reading the whole thread and sometimes they post without serious thinking about what you asked. You should be fine.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,282,366 times
A quick one swat is not spanking or abuse.

It is a necessary tool. I totally don't understand the logic that was used to dispel the discipline of a swat. If you can't control yourself from a swat turning into abuse then that's your choice. I, however can and do. Life is hard and children need to deal with reality to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting