Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,753,039 times

Advertisements

We've played all of those except for Trouble and Mousetrap. My dh and dd love video games, but dd would always rather play a board game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,385,939 times
We love board games. My kids love Candy Land, Shoots & Ladders, and anything that makes noise. We have lots of the kiddie games, ants in your pants, dont break the ice, etc. They are starting to ask about monopoly, so that might end up under the Christmas Tree this year.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM

206 posts, read 939,805 times
We play tons of board games and card games, no TV during the week, so we have family fun nights pretty much every night!

We love monopoly, life, mastermind, boggle, any cranium game, animal trivia, scrabble, jenga, poker, rummy. Our favorite is this time of year, the weather finally starts to cool down, we get to eat dinner and play games outside, the best!!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,586,364 times
My daughter loves board games; Candyland; Shoot & Ladders; Monopoly; Checkers; Chess; and card games like Uno. As a family we play Scrabble, which is everyones' favorite.

My great grandmother used to have a house filled with board games; coloring books; story books, etc. I think it allows for children to develop skills necessary for the future. It's amazing to me how many of the neighborhood kids who would rather play video games or just watch television.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,094,485 times
We frequently play Scrabble, Trouble and Checkers as a family.

Sara

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,166,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Scrabble
Monopoly
Sorry
Trouble
Life
Clue
Candyland
Jenga
Connect 4
Mouse Trap

You know the games where it takes you at least an hour and a half just to set up before you actually start playing? I think Monopoly taught me to budget. And Mouse Trap led me to my IT career (putting things together)...ok, I'm being silly but, do any kids play these games nowadays? I wish I had taken better care of them. I could probably sell them on Ebay now for a grip.
Ours loves Jenga and Candyland -- and the best board game of them all, chess.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 AM

999 posts, read 4,657,713 times
My daughter loves board games, but I've noticed most of her friends have little interest in them......luckily they still play outside a lot. Most of the time the board games get played as a family, so I've been careful to be sure and buy the games I'll enjoy playing with her.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,821,262 times
Yes, in the winter we play cards, monopoly, battleshipps, trouble (although we need a new game as a friend took it out of a box and we lost the pieces).
The newest video machine we have is a nintendo 64 which rarely comes out.

The boys do have gameboys but they are taken away more than they play them.
I rather them be outside making games up.
d

Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

788 posts, read 2,113,832 times
we have them all and I HATE CANDYLAND. I would rather scrub toilets with a toothbrush (not my own - don't hate anything that badly!)

Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 33,322 times
Red face Board games and everything else

Kids do still play board games...I don't have any children of my own but the neighbor kids love to play board games (that's because their parents play board games with them).

It's my impression that kids will do pretty much whatever they can get the adults and other kids to do...

How about playing outside? Remember kick-the-can? (Ok, so most of you aren't old enough to remember kick-the-can....but, hey, it was my favorite....kind-of like hide-and-go-seek but with a can instead of a tree...must of been started by some Nebraska kids...hahahaha...) Hide-and-go-seek...how about building tree houses? Sandcastles? Forts? Catching bugs (my nephew's ALL TIME favorite...he has me catching bugs and saving them for him...I live in AZ and he lives in California!!!)

As for video game playing...I think the "connection" with board games is good but as long as your child/children are interacting/building social skills while playing video games, I see no "problem" with them...Video games provide good eye - hand coordination and experience with electronics/computers. I do not like it when children sit alone for hours on end playing video games (or watching TV)...that just does not seem healthy...I have a friend who - quite frequently - plays video games with his son. Observing them, I see it is a good bonding period for them...

For me, the ultimate is being outdoors...I guess that is because that is what my dad/parents did with me and my siblings...camping, fishing, hiking, building forts, tents, sandcastles, Sunday trips picking blueberries, going to the dump to watch the black bears, sight-seeing, swimming, picnicing...etc, etc...

OK...my final low-down...anything that builds memories is a good thing (not horrible, life scarring memories...you know the kind of memories I mean ).

...but, yeah, I remember Monopoly...I always hid cash under the board so when everyone thought I was going to be out of the game, I could pull out my reserve funds!!!....and Operation (the first game I bought with my "own money"), Risk, Stratego and Life (that Poor House at the end of the game - where you got money for your kids - was a very strange concept!)...

...But yes, I understand the question...at least board games are still alive...have you mentioned the word "record" to a bunch of pre-teeners at a birthday party...they have no clue what a record is...hahaha...but, I digress....sorry, I am "long winded" that way...suppose it comes from living alone...

Bye-now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting