Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,577,435 times

Advertisements

The CDC's official mandate is to overreact, and to sound shrill warnings where there is the slightest scintailla or risk, just like the State Department's travel warnings and Amber Alerts and the National Weather Service. They don't want to be sued by somebody who says they didn't warn them. Just watch the Weather Channel some time. They literally warn you to change your travel plans for the whole day if there is a 10% chance of a scattered thundershower in the afternoon, so nobody sues them after skidding on a rain-slick road.

Try to imagine what happens to a publicist at the CDC who says, Oh, yeah, a few people might get sick from that, but not enough to warrant wholesale changes in their lifestyles.

Another example of Fear looking for Direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,649,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The CDC's official mandate is to overreact, and to sound shrill warnings where there is the slightest scintailla or risk, just like the State Department's travel warnings and Amber Alerts and the National Weather Service. They don't want to be sued by somebody who says they didn't warn them. Just watch the Weather Channel some time. They literally warn you to change your travel plans for the whole day if there is a 10% chance of a scattered thundershower in the afternoon, so nobody sues them after skidding on a rain-slick road.

Try to imagine what happens to a publicist at the CDC who says, Oh, yeah, a few people might get sick from that, but not enough to warrant wholesale changes in their lifestyles.

Another example of Fear looking for Direction.

Haha! Yes, let's rather read blogs written by authors with goodness knows what credentials. Or better yet, let's buy raw milk from farms that "look" clean. Just hilarious. Carry on.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,448,633 times
Who said anything about the farm just looking clean? Doesn't anyone research where they buy their food? Not sure about you, but I go into the facility to see where my food is coming from. I talk to the people that work there, the people that shop there. I look into see if there has been any complaints filed against them. If they aren't willing to let you see behind the scenes, then you know there is a problem.

Sorry, but like I said, my topic isn't about people debating raw milk or not. If you don't want it for you and your family, more power to you, but I am not going to judge your choices. I am looking into another route of a healthier choice that is right for ME and MY family.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,551,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Who said anything about the farm just looking clean? Doesn't anyone research where they buy their food? Not sure about you, but I go into the facility to see where my food is coming from. I talk to the people that work there, the people that shop there. I look into see if there has been any complaints filed against them. If they aren't willing to let you see behind the scenes, then you know there is a problem.

Sorry, but like I said, my topic isn't about people debating raw milk or not. If you don't want it for you and your family, more power to you, but I am not going to judge your choices. I am looking into another route of a healthier choice that is right for ME and MY family.
Read this:

Billy Goat Dairy Raw Milk Linked to 30 Illnesses in Colorado : Food Poison Journal : Food Poisoning Lawyer & Attorney : Bill Marler : Marler Clark

I'm sure a lot of these people "researched" this farm too. It actually had a good reputation. . . . until the outbreak.

Did you not read about my uncle, who got sick from his own family's milk?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,649,949 times
Quote:

Introducing known pathogens is a healthier choice for your family? There are far safer ways to bolster nutrition.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

16,185 posts, read 32,706,944 times
Quote:
I posted the question originally in the Parenting forum as I wanted to ask parents of those who switched a few questions about when they transferred their family over. However, my topic was moved to this forum. I did not post this topic to debate whether people think raw milk is safe or not
The Parenting Mod dropped the thread here but I will move it back for you. Thank you for the explanation on where you want the thread.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-11-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,891,580 times
If you just started making what sounds like drastic lifestyle changes this spring, what's the big rush? Sorry, no answers on the raw milk thing (we do not, and will not, go the raw milk route in our family), but have you considered easing into things? Maybe go with a small local organic dairy that does pasteurize their milk? You can still get local and fresh and from cows who graze outside on the grass, but thanks to the pasteurization process it's much safer for you and your child to consume.

If really concerned about the "natural" factor it may be better to simply cut out milk altogether. Humans don't need cow milk, and it's rather unnatural for us to be drinking it to begin with. And in the case of raw milk, it's not just government agencies warning people of dangers; most experts, including those who are often highly critical of the FDA and other governmental agencies, warn of the risks of raw milk. So you lose a very tiny amount of vitamins through pasteurization (nutrients that can be obtained through other parts of your diet). In return, you get milk that is much safer to drink. You can still buy it from a local organic dairy, so it's not as though it has to be either (a) big industrial hormone-filled corporate big dairy versus (b) local organic farmers with happy grass-fed cows.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM

14,581 posts, read 14,609,993 times
Quote:
Got it. Not everyone wants raw milk. Glad it is available for those that want it however. Thank goodness for freedom of choice
Ah yes. Freedom of Choice. The unanswerable argument... As a parent, I want the "freedom of choice" to be able to feed my child food and beverages that may be laden with bacteria and may either make them severely sick or kill them.

Before Louis Pasteur educated the world that pasteurization was necessary to kill bacteria in milk, incidents of people dying from contaminated milk were pretty common. Its no secret that when you have a herd of dairy cattle that the cattle create tons of manure. Its pretty hard to keep all the bad bacteria out of milk. Washing cows constantly isn't going to solve the problem completely. Only heating the bacteria and killing them is going to stop it.

Sigh......once again, we have a situation where a public health measure like pasteurization has worked so well over the years that its convinced a few crackpots there was never a problem in the first place. How ignorant we are of our own history. How shameful it is that we never take the time to remember or educate our families what life used to be like.

All I can say is if your kid gets sick because you insist on drinking raw milk in your family than you're about as block headed as a person can get. I hope I never meet such a parent in person.

Last edited by markg91359; 07-12-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,218,906 times
I don't drink milk, raw or pasteurized but I know a few people who do drink it raw. They have visited the farm where it comes from. They don't cut it with anything, just drink it straight. They've all said that it is easier to digest then pasteurized milk.

I do eat raw cheese. It is easier to digest and it's delicious.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,974,964 times
Years ago we drank raw milk, when staying with grandparents on their farm. Of course they knew the cows. What I remember was how good it was, and how rich. My grandmother would even take some of the cream out before shaking it. The cream was thick and rich, more like what you get when you visit the UK. She also churned butter.

When we visit that area now we have seen signs for "fresh milk" along the roadsides.

Now we buy only organic and pasteurized. Lots of stuff has been sprayed on or added to feed of today's livestock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting