Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

The owner of a Van Alstyne daycare has been accused of putting antihistamines in children's food so they would fall asleep after lunch.

Kimberly Lane, the owner of the Luv N Learning daycare, was arrested and charged with 16 counts of child endangerment after someone called authorities and said she was mixing an over-the-counter antihistamine with milk and then giving it to children.

Daycare owner accused of drugging milk* - Local News - Dallas/Fort Worth, TX - Dallas/Fort Worth, TX - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,635 times
saw that on the news too....how scary and very sick

Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Sadly, this is a fairly common practice that has resulted in deaths in the past.

Just do a google news search of "benedryl" "daycare" "death".

There are even more news stories that didn't result in death.

And keep in mind, the ones that make the news are just the ones who were caught .

2009 Deadly Dose Of Daycare - CBS News

2007 Protect children (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/democratandchronicle/access/1726876271.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&d ate=Jul+13%2C+2007&author=&pub=Rochester+Democrat+ and+Chronicle&desc=Protect+children&pqatl=google - broken link)

2005 Day care owner gets prison term for tot's death (Montana)

2003 Parole denied: Woman convicted of Tiny Tots day care death to serve full sentence

2003 Bangor Daily News - Google News Archive Search

1999 http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

Quote:
Daycare practices of giving Benadryl to children to get them to nap more easily and for a longer period of time have come to light recently in some communities. In a small town in Montana, one child died of an antihistamine overdose at the hands of daycare provider. It later became known that the daycare routinely gave the children antihistamine at naptime.

Antihistamine Overdose | Overdose Symptoms
And jumping further back, even 1991 http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

I could go on and on. There are so many stories.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-09-2011 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM

i feel a lil guilty i use to give my babysitter nyquil so she could fall a sleep and i could stay out later...Yikes..........she was a adult not a child I was the child lol I would add it to her liquor.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,619,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sadly, this is a fairly common practice that has resulted in deaths in the past.

Just do a google news search of "benedryl" "daycare" "death".

There are even more news stories that didn't result in death.

And keep in mind, the ones that make the news are just the ones who were caught .

2009 Deadly Dose Of Daycare - CBS News

2007 Protect children (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/democratandchronicle/access/1726876271.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&d ate=Jul+13%2C+2007&author=&pub=Rochester+Democrat+ and+Chronicle&desc=Protect+children&pqatl=google - broken link)

2005 Day care owner gets prison term for tot's death (Montana)

2003 Parole denied: Woman convicted of Tiny Tots day care death to serve full sentence

2003 Bangor Daily News - Google News Archive Search

1999 Marketplace | PressDemocrat.com | The Press-Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

And jumping further back, even 1991 http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

I could go on and on. There are so many stories.
While there are, sadly, instances of something like this it is NOT common! You listed a handful of stories over several years, yet there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of child care providers out there across the nation who do not do this and never ever would.

I've been a child care provider for 20 years and this kind of representation is a major disservice to the profession.

I'd venture to guess there are far more parents who use medications on their own children in ways they are not meant to be used than professional child care providers.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 AM

agree its not like we hear this a few times a month or even a year.

I agree there are A LOT of very good child minders.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
While there are, sadly, instances of something like this it is NOT common! You listed a handful of stories over several years, yet there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of child care providers out there across the nation who do not do this and never ever would.
Handful? I didn't post every single story. Heck, that was just a mere sampling of the stories with "benedryl" and "death." I could add many more with searching "antihistamine" or "drugs" or "cold medicine" etc. etc. I didn't even see the ones that I've heard reported in my region throughout the years yet. There are many more that don't result in death. And, like I said, these are just the ones who were caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I've been a child care provider for 20 years and this kind of representation is a major disservice to the profession.
Saying it's common is not a representation of all daycare facilities. It's merely pointing out that this one news story is not isolated. It being more prevelant than you like to believe is in no way a reflection of you as a daycare provider personally.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
Quote:
Handful? I didn't post every single story. Heck, that was just a mere sampling of the stories with "benedryl" and "death." I could add many more with searching "antihistamine" or "drugs" or "cold medicine" etc. etc. I didn't even see the ones that I've heard reported in my region throughout the years yet. There are many more that don't result in death. And, like I said, these are just the ones who were caught.
I think that the number is much closer to "handful" than common. Three of your links were about the same story (Bieber/Tiny Tots/Montana).

From your 2009 link:

"I believe things like this are probably very rare," Baker said. "But the reality is unless you are testing for this, you are never going to know."

Yes, these events are terrible and upsetting. But they are not common.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,619,599 times
Quote:

Saying it's common is not a representation of all daycare facilities. It's merely pointing out that this one news story is not isolated. It being more prevelant than you like to believe is in no way a reflection of you as a daycare provider personally.
If you actually read your own links you'll see that they represent a total of 6 people over 20 years....
Janice Knight - 1991 - Alaska
Karen Zemba - 2001 - Ohio
Josephine Burke - 2001 - North Carolina
Paula Burcham - 2001 - Florida
Sabine Bieber - 2003 - Montana
Ana Powers - 2007 - New York

Another you linked was convicted of shaking a baby, not drugging.

That is statistically an extremely rare occurrence. Even if you find twice as many more and add them in, it is still such a faint percentage of the number of providers out there that it simply cannot be given credence as a credible, significant event that occurs in child care.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think that the number is much closer to "handful" than common. Three of your links were about the same story (Bieber/Tiny Tots/Montana).

From your 2009 link:

"I believe things like this are probably very rare," Baker said. "But the reality is unless you are testing for this, you are never going to know."

Yes, these events are terrible and upsetting. But they are not common.
Semantics. I simply used "fairly common" to indicate that this isn't an issolated incident.

And I was quickly pulling links just to show that this wasn't the first time something like this happened.

I still stand by my point. This isn't some freak one off incident. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting