Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

Are you a Modern Day Mommy Slave?

It is funny how you can go through life trying in vain to please everyone. I have spent most of my life doing that. I guess, as southern women, we are taught to take care of our family and put them before ourselves. We are taught that we are secondary to the life that we have created and the person whom we chose to marry. When I look back at the lives of family members and friends, I find myself asking: Is that kind of thinking a recipe for disaster?

thanks

Last edited by JustJulia; 06-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: brand-new members may not post links, sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dithi88 View Post
Are you a Modern Day Mommy Slave?

It is funny how you can go through life trying in vain to please everyone. I have spent most of my life doing that. I guess, as southern women, we are taught to take care of our family and put them before ourselves. We are taught that we are secondary to the life that we have created and the person whom we chose to marry. When I look back at the lives of family members and friends, I find myself asking: Is that kind of thinking a recipe for disaster?

thanks
I useto be like this when I was married….Went to school, got a degree, still raised the boy and worked the college scheduled around the child.
I was still working 40 plus a week and coming home, cleaning bathrooms, bedrooms, washing clothes every night, making dinner whether or not anybody ate.
My sister does the same.
I think we got the ethics from mom. Except our mom did not have a outside job.
Yet the responsibility still laid on us the dub “Superwomen”
Now? After being divorced 7 years? And finally finding a good man to embark on this task with me?
No longer killing myself and running myself into the ground to do this.
I find if I had a long day and the house looks clean? The dishes are done? I defrosted dinner I froze over the weekend? Or ordered a pizza/ I was not evil and still a good woman and mom.
I learned that a good man will help around the house beig that I work a f/t job and make good money he can help as well. I got over my guilt quickly.

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-02-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 07:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
If women act like this they bring it on themselves. If the laundry does not get put away by 3 PM life will go on. Put it away later. Teach your kids to clean up after themselves. If you have finished the dishes and your husband has a dirty dish he can take care of it himself.

You won't be a slave if you don't make yourself into one.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
"As a mother, do you ever feel like you are a modern-day slave and your spouse and children are the slave masters? Do you feel like you spend all your time reverting back to those days of enslavement every time, you hear, “Mommy!”"

If you do, you have no one to blame but your self. Put on your big girl panties and set some limits.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If you do, you have no one to blame but your self. Put on your big girl panties and set some limits.
Absolutely.

I can hear my own mother saying, "I am not your slave!" as she handed us the Windex.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Yes, I feel that way and today I feel very resentful about it.

I'm not married but living with my 16 year old son and 90 year old father that moved in with us two years ago.

Both are quite capable of putting dishes in the dishwasher, washing a load of clothes; picking up ~ but it falls to me. Everything falls to me; cooking; meal planning; yardwork; all the millions of things that go wrong in this big house; two dogs . . . and I still find myself driving to 3 different places on the rare nights I pick up some take out.

I think that I'm going back to bed; shut my door and let them fend for themselves.

I am sick of being Mommy to an almost grown man and an elderly man that likes to have things done for him.

Sick of it!

I get up at 5:00 am on the week-days to work out because that is my ONLY free time. 7:30 am on Saturdays.

So, so, so sick of this and not sure I arrived at this place.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Absolutely.

I can hear my own mother saying, "I am not your slave!" as she handed us the Windex.

Me: Something wrong with your hands?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, I feel that way and today I feel very resentful about it.

I'm not married but living with my 16 year old son and 90 year old father that moved in with us two years ago.

Both are quite capable of putting dishes in the dishwasher, washing a load of clothes; picking up ~ but it falls to me. Everything falls to me; cooking; meal planning; yardwork; all the millions of things that go wrong in this big house; two dogs . . . and I still find myself driving to 3 different places on the rare nights I pick up some take out.

I think that I'm going back to bed; shut my door and let them fend for themselves.

I am sick of being Mommy to an almost grown man and an elderly man that likes to have things done for him.

Sick of it!

I get up at 5:00 am on the week-days to work out because that is my ONLY free time. 7:30 am on Saturdays.

I will grant you that a 90yo father is hard to set limits with. Maybe time to let him know that there is such a thing as a nursing home. But if it "falls" to you with your son, it is because you have allowed it.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You can't do much about your father, but your son is your doing. Is there anything wrong with your 16 year old son that he cannot do a load of laundry, or clean up the kitchen?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can't do much about your father, but your son is your doing. Is there anything wrong with your 16 year old son that he cannot do a load of laundry, or clean up the kitchen?
If he is living in your house you surely can or he can find his own place. Unless dad is to the point he can't help himself of course then there isn't much you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting