Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 03:33 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,919,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. You misunderstand. Don't find things to TELL her you like. Find things to LIKE. Honestly.
Yes, this.

People can smell being disingenuous from a mile away. It must be genuine.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 06-09-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 03:34 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,361,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I think she is right to be cautious with which information she chooses to present, even if it means less for posters to work with. The therapists here actually can't say anything much that is useful because (in no particular order): a) we don't have a thorough assessment, b) we don't have a professional relationship with the family and c) it is unethical to practice on an online message board.

I do agree that if one is not seeing demonstrable results/progress on goals with a therapist that considering a second opinion and/or just a new brain on the case is prudent. There are very few diagnoses where one would expect to see negligible improvement over the course of treatment.
You can however tell if this therapists belief in the developmental milestone is real or her personal belief :-P. And could possibly judge if it is best they try another course of action. And while i understand being cautious, at some point after post and post of getting no help it's obvious you need to put the info out there if you want real help here.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,342,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Did she tell us she hasn't told her daughter that she has positive attributes? Or that her daughter isn't valuable to her? That she hasn't ever praised her daughter?

I missed that post if she told us that. I apologize.
She thinks praising her daughter is blowing sunshine up her butt and won't work. Do you take that to mean she offers a lot of praise?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,266,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
She thinks praising her daughter is blowing sunshine up her butt and won't work. Do you take that to mean she offers a lot of praise?
The thing is if there was something that she could appreciate honestly, then it would not be blowing sunshine. Would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
That she doesn't even want to be in counseling is even more discouraging.
It's not shocking, though. I haven't met a teen yet who wanted to be in therapy when they first came in for treatment. Just as long as she is there and working in and out of session, progress can be made.

24,873 posts, read 36,342,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The thing is if there was something that she could appreciate honestly, then it would not be blowing sunshine. Would it?
No, it wouldn't.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,361,570 times
Quote:
Yes, this.

People can smell being disingenuous from a mile away.
Everyone does something good in their life as kids. I can't believe her daughter does nothing worthy of giving her praise about. I mean even txtqueen gets pats on the back from you guys ~sorry txt~ .

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,266,995 times
Quote:
It's not shocking, though. I haven't met a teen yet who wanted to be in therapy when they first came in for treatment. Just as long as she is there and working in and out of session, progress can be made.
I have no real decent foundation for this, but I am suspicious that this is the therapist that will help. It seems like it has been a while with no noticeable progress. But that is speculating wildly and should be treated as such, without much merit.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Everyone does something good in their life as kids. I can't believe her daughter does nothing worthy of giving her praise about. I mean even txtqueen gets pats on the back from you guys ~sorry txt~ .
Of course. I believe that somebodynew and the others are correct in saying that genuinely acknowledging positive behaviors that occur is useful. Even in the most severely behavior disordered children and teens, there is always some behavior that can be reinforced because you genuinely want to see that behavior again. I am uncertain why some posters are construing that as hollow praise. It is puzzling to me.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,708,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It isn't blowing sunshine unless it is made up, not true. Simply praising her for something she did well is being honest and supportive. If you can't find one single thing to praise her for, that is a major problem.
I don't subscribe to the raise kids on praise movement. I've stated that already. I don't praise dd#2 either (a fact dd#1 ignores). Dd#2 has more expected of her because she can deliver more. IMO, praise builds the kind of fragile self esteem I see in my students every day and I don't want that for my kids.

Blowing sunshine up their butts does not work. I thought we'd established that already.

Please go back and read my posts about her and the band teacher. You are not getting this. You're stuck on PRAISE WILL WORK. Praise doesn't work. At best, it creates a praise junkie who can't self assess because they NEED the approval of others. At worst, it backfires, which is what it does with dd#1. If I tell her she played well at the concert, she tells me "Not as well as DD#2"....Her band teacher delivered a compliment when he asked her to try out for wind ensamble, her response was to refuse to learn the piece. Sersiously, some here need to start actually reading my posts.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-09-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.