Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM

652 posts, read 1,059,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
It is an all volunteer organization. Again, have you taken your concerns to the committee or the cubmaster? Better yet, have you volunteered on the committee or at the den level? It is what you make of it.
I'm not sure how quickly I'd be taking concerns elsewhere, but I think helping is a really good idea.

What I've found with scouts(girl and boy), if you don't like it you either try to 1)help 2)find another troop or 3)quit the organization entirely.

It is also really important to remember that these people might be very new to doing things, and that they are volunteers. I know that when I was a GS leader sometimes people would talk to me like I was their paid employee...but they themselves were unwilling to help much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,545,156 times
also be aware that with sexual harassment charges being rampant these days, good strong men are wary of becoming involved in scouting and other youth activities.. One wrong word from some kid with a grudge can ruin the man's life. Sure there are perverts in every organization dealing with children and this is not something new but I have talked to several wonderful men who said they just felt too vulnerable to even get involved. Really sad.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM

652 posts, read 1,059,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
also be aware that with sexual harassment charges being rampant these days, good strong men are wary of becoming involved in scouting and other youth activities.. One wrong word from some kid with a grudge can ruin the man's life. Sure there are perverts in every organization dealing with children and this is not something new but I have talked to several wonderful men who said they just felt too vulnerable to even get involved. Really sad.
This has some truth to it. I'm not sure if it applies to all levels of scouting, but I know for the younger ages, there always has to be two adults present for every activity. Finding a second adult can sometimes be a challenge.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,569,934 times
This does not sound good for your son. Forget Boy Scouts. Just do things with him independently.

I joined a group for my daughter....and she said the girls were Spoiled and talked about sex, drugs, and buying clothes. It was a well known charity group. We stopped going.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,382,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We have three boys with a large age difference, and our experience with our local troop has declined over the years. We have definitely have noticed the lack of adult organization and leadership, which is exactly what the Scouts are supposed to stand for.

I think a lot of parents assume that just by enrolling their boys in Scouts, they will magically behave better. Our pack has some of the worst-behaved boys I have ever witnessed because the parents just will not step in. At the crossover ceremony last wee, which is supposed to be a serious, solemn ceremony, my husband kept muttering, "Give me that kid for one week and he won't be running his mouth like that anymore." But it's no surprise, because their parents were all standing at the back, chatting away like it was cocktail hour.

It's not that we think our kids are so much better than everyone, and we weren't standing at the back of the room like prigs. But this was surprisingly bad. Next year my husband is going to help out as a den leader, but your experience really will depend on the parent leadership.
I sometimes wonder if parents put their kids in scouts specifically so they'll learn to behave, then do nothing to help that happen themselves.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM

753 posts, read 1,490,798 times
Quote:
...Have you spoken to the committee chair or cubmaster about your concerns?
Yes. And they didn't listen at all and talked over us.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The parents always stay at our meetings too, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Yes. It depends on the parents. Random parents telling my child what to do, etc. doesn't help.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,645,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I'm not sure how quickly I'd be taking concerns elsewhere, but I think helping is a really good idea.

What I've found with scouts(girl and boy), if you don't like it you either try to 1)help 2)find another troop or 3)quit the organization entirely.

It is also really important to remember that these people might be very new to doing things, and that they are volunteers. I know that when I was a GS leader sometimes people would talk to me like I was their paid employee...but they themselves were unwilling to help much at all.
This is great advice.

Is the entire troop unruly or just the den?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
It is an all volunteer organization. Again, have you taken your concerns to the committee or the cubmaster? Better yet, have you volunteered on the committee or at the den level? It is what you make of it.
Actually I've just turned in my adult application to take on a position to help out scouts. And frankly, our family is one of the few that stay there and stay close and supervise our child. I've asked the den leader repeatedly if I can help, given my email/phone number, etc. and no response. I will not be any sort of leader because I can't buy in to all the BSA beliefs.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is great advice.

Is the entire troop unruly or just the den?
Whole troop. In fact the older ones are the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting