Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,392,652 times

Advertisements

I had kids because I wanted to. I never felt obligated by my family members or my faith.

I never thought about it from the perspective of bringing kids into a cold, cruel world. This is one of the best times in history to have children. Two hundred years ago children were much less likely to live until adulthood. They could die from influenza b/c there were no antibiotics and there were no vaccines for life-threatening childhood diseases. Not to mention the large number of women who died due to childbirth-related complications.

The poor and middle class had little or no access to public education, people worked themselves to death on farms or in sweatshops, and hunger wasn't uncommon.

Things were 100 times worse for blacks and women couldn't vote or attend most universities.

So, today is a perfectly fine time to have children. Sure, there are plenty of things wrong with our world, but our children could make make the policy changes or invent the wonder drugs, tech gadgets, etc. that will make it a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,955,218 times
I think it's pretty selfish to intentionally have kids when they'll likely die of a pandemic, terrorist attack or probably just end up jailed by an increasingly overzealous govenrment. I understand accidents happen and I think it's wonderful when people adopt but having kids just to fill some void in your own life is the height of selfishness.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,300,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I think it's pretty selfish to intentionally have kids when they'll likely die of a pandemic, terrorist attack or probably just end up jailed by an increasingly overzealous govenrment. I understand accidents happen and I think it's wonderful when people adopt but having kids just to fill some void in your own life is the height of selfishness.
I don't know how likely any of those things are.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,337,195 times
Quote:
I think it's pretty selfish to intentionally have kids when they'll likely die of a pandemic, terrorist attack or probably just end up jailed by an increasingly overzealous govenrment.
Some of us are a wee bit more optimistic about life. Heck, some of us are a LOT more optimistic about life.

(And I grew up during the Cold War and clearly remember the Cuban Missile Crisis when we truly could have been blown to dust and knew it. There were people back then saying it was a horrible thing to have children. I believe younger generations bring the chance to change things for the better.)

Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,645,163 times
Quote:
Likely? I think we all need to consider upping our Meds if this is how we're going to look to the future.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,020,386 times
I WANTED to be a parent, and was blessed with two miracle children!!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,883,680 times
I may be young but I do feel an obligation to be a parent someday. My parents enjoy pushing the issue.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,541,645 times
We have two fantastic daughters and same for their hubbies. One couple wants children and the other, nope.

I equally respect and support both couples. I'm proud of the couple that wants them, has been married for four years and is waiting a couple of years more to see how this economy and nation workout, or don't. Also, they're just having the time of their lives, bought their first home and aren't rushing to start the family.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,928,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Some of us are a wee bit more optimistic about life. Heck, some of us are a LOT more optimistic about life.

(And I grew up during the Cold War and clearly remember the Cuban Missile Crisis when we truly could have been blown to dust and knew it. There were people back then saying it was a horrible thing to have children. I believe younger generations bring the chance to change things for the better.)
Exactly. Your childhood sounds enough like mine that it was really FUN being a child and having the kind of parents we had, we had FUN with our parents. It was fun doing things with them, learning from them.

So it's only natural that we want to go on having all that fun, doing all those same things we did when we were kids only now with our own kids. Kids are fun, parents are fun, a family is fun. I've never seen my kids as any kind of burden.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM

837 posts, read 1,291,440 times
I have no doubt my parents had me and my brother out of obligation. People have to understand that questions like 'Why do I have to marry?' or 'Why do I have to have kids?' are pretty recent phenomenons.

In the past people just accepted that they were supposed to have children, their wants were not so important. These days there's no reason for people to have children unless they really want to.

I'd love to have children but I can't because of several issues. I think that even if I could I wouldn't have them. I think it's unfair on the kids to bring them when the world is going downhill just to satisfy a personal desire. Children being born today will probably have to deal with major lack of resources, some kind of environmental problem, declining health and education standards, mental diseases, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting