Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,827 times

Advertisements

We moved last year to a new area just before my daughter started 3rd grade. We met a widow female neighbor, with an only child, a daughter that was also in 3rd grade, so the kids began to play together, and going to each other's homes. Soon after my husband and I noticed that the mom was showing signs that she liked my husband. My husband loves me, and has never nor will he ever cheat on me, especially since his dad cheated on his mom, and he saw what that did to the marriage and to his mom. As a result, he dislikes women that go after married husbands. So he started to avoid her, and allowed me to be the only contact with the woman, and we think she got the picture. Than the child began to call my husband daddy, in a playfull way, every time she saw him. We probably should've put a stop to it immediatelly, or perhaps should've said something to the mom, but we felt sorry for the child, since her father was dead, and so we ignored it for a while, but than my husband had to tell her that he's not her daddy, nor will he ever be one, so she stopped saying it. We also ignored the following: telling my husband numerous times that her mom is better looking than me and telling me the same thing, telling me that she'll run me over with her bike so her mom can marry my husband and she and my daughter will become sisters, telling my daughter that she's smarter and more beautiful than her, that she has bigger and better things than her, trying to recruit my daughter's friends and relatives, even though she was allowed to come over and play with them, etc. We have ignored it all because we truly felt sorry for her, and because she has no other kids to play with. A week ago I caught her making weird faces at my daughter when my daughter was talking to her, at a party, with no other kids around yet. I asked her in front of her mom why she did that, and she lied that she didn't, or that she did it to another kid, even though no other kid was around. That did it. We don't want her to be friends with our daughter anymore, and we especially don't want her coming over to our house. We explained it to our daughter, and she seems fine with being friends in school only. But how can we handle this outside of school? They're only few houses away, and we want our child to play outside without playing with her. Do we talk to the mom and give complete and honest details of why we no longer will allow our child to play with hers, or do we just keep quiet and try to avoid her hopping she'll get the picture and move on. We really don't want to create any problems between the girls in school, so how would you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
I would just try to avoid them. If it means that your daughter has to play in the back yard for a while, or go to other friends' houses, that might be best. I wouldn't say anything to the mother.

No matter what you do, this will affect their friendship at school.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,303,418 times
Why is it people come out of the blue and make the most dramatic out of these world posts for their first posts? Basically tell your daughter she isn't allowed over anymore and be done with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,808,548 times
That's really creepy. Seriously, seriously creepy.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why is it people come out of the blue and make the most dramatic out of these world posts for their first posts? Basically tell your daughter she isn't allowed over anymore and be done with it.
Oh, sure. I've seen that movie. Before you know it the neighbor will be dramatically rising up out of the bathtub with a knife.

Actually, it's probably the widow next door that originated this thread. She's likely using the people of city data forum to stay a step ahead of that ***** with the perfect husband so she can plot out her demise perfectly, step into her shoes and live happily ever after.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,690,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taste777 View Post
We moved last year to a new area just before my daughter started 3rd grade. We met a widow female neighbor, with an only child, a daughter that was also in 3rd grade, so the kids began to play together, and going to each other's homes. Soon after my husband and I noticed that the mom was showing signs that she liked my husband. My husband loves me, and has never nor will he ever cheat on me, especially since his dad cheated on his mom, and he saw what that did to the marriage and to his mom. As a result, he dislikes women that go after married husbands. So he started to avoid her, and allowed me to be the only contact with the woman, and we think she got the picture. Than the child began to call my husband daddy, in a playfull way, every time she saw him. We probably should've put a stop to it immediatelly, or perhaps should've said something to the mom, but we felt sorry for the child, since her father was dead, and so we ignored it for a while, but than my husband had to tell her that he's not her daddy, nor will he ever be one, so she stopped saying it. We also ignored the following: telling my husband numerous times that her mom is better looking than me and telling me the same thing, telling me that she'll run me over with her bike so her mom can marry my husband and she and my daughter will become sisters, telling my daughter that she's smarter and more beautiful than her, that she has bigger and better things than her, trying to recruit my daughter's friends and relatives, even though she was allowed to come over and play with them, etc. We have ignored it all because we truly felt sorry for her, and because she has no other kids to play with. A week ago I caught her making weird faces at my daughter when my daughter was talking to her, at a party, with no other kids around yet. I asked her in front of her mom why she did that, and she lied that she didn't, or that she did it to another kid, even though no other kid was around. That did it. We don't want her to be friends with our daughter anymore, and we especially don't want her coming over to our house. We explained it to our daughter, and she seems fine with being friends in school only. But how can we handle this outside of school? They're only few houses away, and we want our child to play outside without playing with her. Do we talk to the mom and give complete and honest details of why we no longer will allow our child to play with hers, or do we just keep quiet and try to avoid her hopping she'll get the picture and move on. We really don't want to create any problems between the girls in school, so how would you handle this?
Should have & would have nip it in the butt.
"Show" you have taken "insult" via the mom's & the daughter's behaviour hence that unwanted neighbour have to pay for her insult to you.

Easy... blame every thing on that neighbour & then use that excuse to remove yourself from the situation.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,066 times
You ignored it because you felt sorry for her, but you weren't doing her or your daughter any favors. You are basically teaching your daughter to be passive-aggressive.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,402,941 times
Good grief, tell your daughter they aren't allowed to play together and be done with it. Agree with other posters, backyard or in the house until things simmer (haha bunny joke!) down a bit...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,402,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Oh, sure. I've seen that movie. Before you know it the neighbor will be dramatically rising up out of the bathtub with a knife.

Actually, it's probably the widow next door that originated this thread. She's likely using the people of city data forum to stay a step ahead of that ***** with the perfect husband so she can plot out her demise perfectly, step into her shoes and live happily ever after.
LOL - my husband and I have a little game we like to call "name that Lifetime movie". Seriously, he (my husband is retired military) and military folks sometimes lead the messiest lives of anyone I've ever met or heard of....

Top 10 Worst Lifetime Original Movies | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.

This sounds a little like 1995's "seduced and betrayed"

plot summary A beautiful but equally dangerous widow won't take "no" for an answer as she draws a dedicated family man into a world of passion, deceit and betrayal, threatening to destroy him in the process.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
LOL - my husband and I have a little game we like to call "name that Lifetime movie". Seriously, he (my husband is retired military) and military folks sometimes lead the messiest lives of anyone I've ever met or heard of....

Top 10 Worst Lifetime Original Movies | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.

This sounds a little like 1995's "seduced and betrayed"

plot summary A beautiful but equally dangerous widow won't take "no" for an answer as she draws a dedicated family man into a world of passion, deceit and betrayal, threatening to destroy him in the process.
Did that star fat Delta Burke or skinny Delta Burke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting