Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,738,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I must be trying to take authority away from myself then, because I'm always making jokes about how I'm going to mess something up when taking care of my son (and yes, I have it in mind that it'd be specifically because I'm a man). Little things, like yelling across the house "Op! I put the diaper on the wrong end again!" or "Babe? Toddler toes grow back, right?" Already, I've noticed a change in how much say I have around here. Now, instead of my girlfriend asking me if I want a fork or a spoon after she cooks my dinner, she just decides for me!

It's a sad day in Victorville...
LOL.... I'm so SORRY Vic! You poor, poor thing! Your wife sounds like an absolute BULLY!...immasculating you by choosing your utensils. Oh what a world! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,145,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It is shifty and manipulative the way dads are portrayed...It's almost a systemic campaign to destroy and debase the authority of the male figure head in the family...Once you have conditioned the population that fathers should have no authorship in the family...the populace becomes more easy to control...both by the state and those running the consumer society that we live...fathers are supposed to be protectors..One the family is without a father...or the father loses credibility - the family is vulnerable...

Just like in the lion kingdom...the female lion hunts and feeds the young...but she does not have the jaw power to kill an alpha hyena ....only the male does...and THAT is his purpose...not to be some slavish provider...all the time...but the prime protector..The male lion can snap the neck of a predator in one bite...................we have taken the bite out of fathers.

You were onto something until that second paragraph there where you spiraled off into the hierarchy of jaw strength in the animal kingdom. All of that is wrong. BUT, your general trajectory is spot on. And the truth lies somewhere between what the dismissive females in this thread say, and the first half of your post, which is that: There is an assault on masculinity and its fatherly role within the nuclear family by the media. And nothing is more instrumental to that cause than the self deprecating, kowtowing male, so many of whom have permeated society; as is even evident within this thread. The self effacing, self loathing male in this society has managed to wedge himself into positions of influence within media whereby he can then reproduce images of himself as the "dithering pops", where everything is a joke (at his expense, but so what right?) within mainstream media -- So much so that what you're really seeing isnt so much an accosting of paternal authority by a feminizing society, as much as a sort of male on male cannibalizing of one another by those self loathing, guilt laden males who wield the power in media to project those insecurities onto the masses as though those insecurities were the basis for male attitudes and behaviors.

Couple of quick questions for you: Who do you think owns huggies (a man or a woman)? Who do you think is ultimately responsible for giving the marketing campaign the go ahead? -- Here's a hint: His name is Thomas Falk. While many women and feminists are complicit, they are merely complicit in the grand scheme and little more. But the people who truly pull the strings are currently, always have been and always will be other self deprecating males, in any currency driven society.

Last edited by soletaire; 03-30-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting