Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

Luckily I know not all blond women are stupid, not all Hispanics are like Cheece & Chong and all men are not like Archie Bunker.

The ad that got me a few years back was the dumb guy on his cell phone at the grocery store who had to call his wife every 20 seconds to get her opinion on a food item.

When that ad was around no man dared use his cell phone while buying groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM

652 posts, read 1,053,152 times
I'm not a dad.

I'm not sure that any one ad is bad in itself, but I generally dislike ads that play into a gender stereotype. Even if you aren't someone buying diapers I think the ad gives a weird message. Like should my kids think that all dads are like that, or should be expected to be like that.

It is just one ad, but I think there is a fine line between stereotyping and humor.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I'm not a dad.

I'm not sure that any one ad is bad in itself, but I generally dislike ads that play into a gender stereotype. Even if you aren't someone buying diapers I think the ad gives a weird message. Like should my kids think that all dads are like that, or should be expected to be like that.

It is just one ad, but I think there is a fine line between stereotyping and humor.
I think if you have never lived the situation the ad was portraying you would have seen it as perhaps stereotpying.

If you did live it, I think you would find a good amount of humor in it.

If you live it, but write a blog about it and spend your days pounding the drum for stay-at-home dad empowerment, it becomes something you can take issue with and get your name in the papers.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's a popular stereotype for sure, but nothing to get worked up over. I saw the ad, I thought it was funny. There have definitely been moments where I've been watching the last few minutes of a period in a hockey game and smelled "the smell"...and proceded to try and ignore it for a couple minutes so as not to miss the game. Does that make me a bad dad or parent, no, it makes me human. What's next, we're going to write letters and protest Fox over Homer Simpson?
NJ....I love it! Yes, and this is why hubby thought it was funny too. It was one of those..."Um...yeah, I've done that! So WHAT!" Does that make him a bad dad? No, not at all. He's a great dad, a loving, caring dad, who would never do anything if he believed it would harm his children. However, one gets into doing things and well.... especially if he doesn't smell smoke or they're not playing with knives, it's not life-threatening....so meh! LOL

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
It is shifty and manipulative the way dads are portrayed...It's almost a systemic campaign to destroy and debase the authority of the male figure head in the family...Once you have conditioned the population that fathers should have no authorship in the family...the populace becomes more easy to control...both by the state and those running the consumer society that we live...fathers are supposed to be protectors..One the family is without a father...or the father loses credibility - the family is vulnerable...

Just like in the lion kingdom...the female lion hunts and feeds the young...but she does not have the jaw power to kill an alpha hyena ....only the male does...and THAT is his purpose...not to be some slavish provider...all the time...but the prime protector..The male lion can snap the neck of a predator in one bite...................we have taken the bite out of fathers.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It is shifty and manipulative the way dads are portrayed...It's almost a systemic campaign to destroy and debase the authority of the male figure head in the family...Once you have conditioned the population that fathers should have no authorship in the family...the populace becomes more easy to control...both by the state and those running the consumer society that we live...
So Huggies is part of a vast conspiracy to take away power from fathers?

Lol. More like their ad agency totally blew this one. (Though in a weird way it's worked for them since everyone is now discussing their product.)

Someday I want to see the room where the ad execs, the Leftist Hollyweirds and Disney sit together to plot the downfall of American society. They probably have really comfy chairs.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So Huggies is part of a vast conspiracy to take away power from fathers?

Lol. More like their ad agency totally blew this one. (Though in a weird way it's worked for them since everyone is now discussing their product.)

Someday I want to see the room where the ad execs, the Leftist Hollyweirds and Disney sit together to plot the downfall of American society. They probably have really comfy chairs.
Yes, that's what it is. Our enemies actually OWN Huggies....their sole purpose for that advertisement was to undermine our society. As you said, I'm sure they're tucking their tails and running all the way to the bank, since the "outrage" surfaced about their commercial.

If there is one thing I've learned, while being a wife and a mother, it's this... The howling is always the loudest when you've touched a nerve!

Good grief, a man only loses his seat at the head of the table when he chooses to remain seated in front of the television set or go out playing with his friends instead.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
a man only loses his seat at the head of the table when he chooses to remain seated in front of the television set or go out playing with his friends instead.
This is actually very profound.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Having a son ~ I'm noticing that men are portrayed a LOT on TV like 'the bumbling Dad' or 'the bumbling husband".

When he was young, I would always try to find movies with strong male characters.

I'm glad they took that commercial off!

It's so bad now. Sitcoms are the worst. I don't know how/when this trend started, but I wish it would stop. Bring back the Marlborough Man! (minus the cigarette, of course)

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This is actually very profound.
Thank you my dear friend. I find it so funny (well...not literally), that so many men pound their fists at "losing their place as leaders in their families". Such a great number of them, will only occupy that seat when it's convenient for them. It has been out of necessity, that their women have stepped up to the head of the table. I mean, an empty throne is just a waste of space, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting