Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,555,546 times

Advertisements

My daughter is not quite 5, so by the time she is old enough to get it I will know more about how safe this vaccine is or is not and will make my decision then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,226,994 times
If I had daughters instead of boys I would have them have the shot.

Just an aside....for those of you who don't give your children immunizations, how do you get your children enrolled in school? All of the schools my children have attended I had to show about 80 different forms showing their shot records before they could step one foot in the door. (slight exageration) Just curious....

Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,798,826 times
Quote:
One thing that people forgot to mention is that 17 years ago they didn't have as many vaccines as today. I wonder if you know the schedule for vaccinations now. I wonder if they were given HepB vaccine to babies on the second day of their lives.
I guess we have to agree to disagree. Since I will be 60 years-old in a couple of months, I well know about childhood diseases. I remember almost going blind from chicken pox (!), being kept in a totally dark room so that I could keep my eyesight. I had measles .... TWICE....thus, the theory of having vaccines more than once is very similar to having something like measles more than once. I remember that I was 18 the second time I had them and my mother laughing that I was 18 and had the measles -- a "childhood" disease ... which, obviously, affects older people, too.

I had mumps....TWICE! Thus, again, showing one reason why vaccines are given again. So, even in nature these diseases can reoccur. If they occur when a person is older, all the more devastating, and especially with men who can become sterile.

I am in the age group that is NOT required to have vaccines. If you look at any vaccination sheet, you will see a list of age groups required to have the vaccines. My age group is exempt. Why? Because those who didn't die or may have ended up with after-effects of the diseases, still survived, thus, we are "immune." (Although, as I said, I had some of these diseases more than once!)

Polio is making a return in different parts of the world? Why? Because people are becoming complacent. Those who did not grow up with these diseases as a part of daily life, don't remember them. I also hear of measles and chicken pox around these parts because many people are resisting vaccines.

Ironically, more and more mothers work, and if one is from my generation, mothers, thank goodness, often didn't work -- and that allowed them to care for the often sick children! Especially if you had more than one or two kids! My mom had four children ... you can imagine how often she was nursing us...one at a time! I would often think about that when my daughter had her vaccinations, and I'd marvel at the fact that I rarely had to take off work to care for an illness.

By the way, severe allergies run in my family, and I came from the generation that did not have vaccinations! Therefore, I do not believe there is a direct correlation to allergies, asthma and all of that from vaccines. My ex-husband had a cousin with severe autism...he's also in the age group of those who do not have to have immunizations....

And, with homeopathy, it is the nature of "like cures like." I do know my alternative medicine, too, having worked at one of the very first large well-known alternative clinics in the world. At our clinic, we also incorporated "real" medicine, too, such as antibiotics when necessary. We used a large array of treatments from herbal, to biofeedback, to poultices, to massage, to manipulations, to meditation and to regular medicine, as well.

I still think it is irresponsible to not provide protection for your children -- especially as the number of people refusing vaccines grow, and more people home-school. You could organize a group of people of like-mind to build an intentional community -- off-line and in real life -- and that would be something you may want to think about. There is a "Communities" magazine (google it) and you can find others who will be available to join. I don't think it's fair that our kids protect your kids because you don't want to do it, yet, you benefit from our consciousness in using immunizations.

Oh, and as for Hepatitis -- I almost died from that, too. Had there been any vaccine at the time, I might not have been at death's door. It took me nearly two years to recover. And, of course, now I'm "immune!" (Took almost dying to get to that point, when nowadays people can just have a vaccine.)

As you can see, I do know what I am talking about. And I'm not even old enough to have had polio -- fortunately, the polio vaccine was given when I was in elementary school. I have older friends who were crippled for life as a result of surviving that disease.

When more and more younger people opt out of having vaccines, we will see a rise in these diseases more. I think more conscientious people exist than not -- and, of course, as has been mentioned before, schools do require proof of immunizations -- and there's a reason for that -- they are contagious!!

Unfortunately, my generation is going to be dying off in the next couple of decades, and then what will be left are just stories of those who had these diseases. My daughter will be one of the kids who can talk about how her mom had these diseases, and she will understand about the value of vaccines. Also, when she went to South America as an exchange student, I had her receive a couple of more vaccines as extra protection. As I said, having been through the era of serious illness, almost dying, and seeing that there are vaccines for most of those illnesses now, I did not want her to become extremely ill or die from a now preventable disease.

I hope that those who are thinking about rejecting immunizations for your children, will thoroughly (and I don't mean reading some magazine articles) research these topics. If you are a biochemist or microbiologist, then you will have a better knowledge of their uses. There are too many articles that are fearful about these topics. I have seen first-hand how people get caught up in these differences, with little or no personal experience.

Obviously, there is free will and free choice in this country -- and I assume most people who do not vaccinate their children home-school them. For those who are on the fence about them, and don't homeschool, I hope that some of my experiences of having gotten some of these diseases more than once, almost dying, my ex having an autistic member in his family, and our allergies and asthma running in our family, help to moderate any qualms about getting immunizations. I honestly have seen how the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

And that's all I'm adding about that because I refuse to get into it with people who have not gone through it, and have minimal experience with these things. I feel comfortable in my decision, I know that my child is protected and in turn, she protects others, and I have survived many of these diseases, although it wasn't fun going through them, and I am glad that vaccines were developed.

Have fun with the discussion!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,855,648 times
I was thinking about getting it for myself, but I did some research, and I found that Gardasil is very contraversial drug...After doing some more research, I'll decide I guess...

Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post

Just an aside....for those of you who don't give your children immunizations, how do you get your children enrolled in school? All of the schools my children have attended I had to show about 80 different forms showing their shot records before they could step one foot in the door. (slight exageration) Just curious....
In NY state, you can get religious exemption.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,431,698 times
Wisteria - I enjoyed discussion with you because it seems as you are very passionate about this issue as I am. I can see that you researched before you typed and I don't imply that you don't know what you are talking about, but neither should you.

Have a great day.

Last edited by max's mama; 09-11-2007 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,103,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post

There are multiple exemption options, depends upon the state.

Sara

Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,378,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I want to apologize, because my words were unfair. I made it seem that I have no respect for medical profession and made it seem like I implied that you are "the one that ignores things for mighty buck". I put it in general in terms, but looking back at my post, it made me feel really bad, because I realized how bad and rude my words sounded.

What I should have said is that I saw a lot of blind eye in doctors before and encountered a lot personally in my life that makes me feel uncomfortable with doctors in general.

So again, I didn't want to insult you and I apologize.

I get very heated when it comes to this specific topic and sometimes I get "overheated" and type things that come out wrong or I don't mean.
Thank you. I care so very much about my patients and their families and always try my best to help every one of them. I don't want to be grouped in with those who don't, because I do know they are out there.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,378,843 times
Wisteria,
I think you said some really great things here. I agree that we will be seeing an increase in diseases as more and more parents choose not to immunize. I remember doing research and seeing kids with these diseases (polio, tetnus, etc.) and it was terrible. How awful to go through, if they even survive! I am glad that my kids have immunities to protect them. I feel I need to give my kids all the protection I can. There are side effects, but the diseases are SO much worse.
That is how I feel, anyway!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,661,232 times
no way.
if she wants to decide for herself (after researching) then she can get the vaccine but im not going to subject her to it because of pressure from the pharmaceutical companies. the drug companies want to make money more than they want to protect our health you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting