Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,461,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Of course it's the right thing to do for MY family. I'm not arrogant enough to tell other people what they do with their children is wrong or arrogant enough to call people "brainwashed" for those who think differently. When it comes to the safety of my children - I'm not going to take twinkle ding dong medicine into consideration - that's when my mind closes to alternative medicine.

Now, I'm not saying that vaccines have no risks... you are right about that. And I have heard that it's questionable whether or not innoculations are linked to Autism (so far, I've read that it's inconclusive). Being that I am not a mother of children who have had side effects from vaccinations... I may never see it from your perspective. But I know what happens without vaccs. and that's the only side that really matters to me - crippled Grandmother, dead great aunt... that's enough reasons for me to not ignore what vaccinations can do.

The HPV vaccination may not have saved my sister but it's POSSIBLE that it could have... if she would have waited 6 months longer she could have died from cervical cancer. I'd rather that she would of had her shot - even with the risk - and have a CHANCE to beat a virus than be consumed by this terrible disease. It's a real threat to women... maybe more real for some than others.

So with all due respect... although I respect your opinion - for me - my brainwashing doctor has more credibility.
Just a note: I have never said that you are brainwashed by your doctor since this is the first time I ever spoke to you on line. Kindly, please don't put words in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
If my child can end up with autism anyway, why should I expose him to these other dangerous diseases? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have my child ALIVE and autistic than dead or crippled.

So, your husband choses to ignore evidence for the "mighty buck"? Making sweeping generalizations does not help your credibility. I'm sorry that you find this website too "mainstream" for your tastes. Perhaps you should stick to one whose members have views more in line with your own.
My DH left medical field to become a Naturopath. That might give you some perspective.
I would think people are more welcoming to hear a fresh perspective from someone who doesn't have opinion "in line" with their own. But people don't like to hear anything that contradicts their views.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,807,659 times
My 17-year-old (not yet sexually active) daughter just had her last of the three HPV shots. She did not have any side effects, and as a menopausal mom, I, too, know that immunizations have had many more good effects in the world, than negative.

If you're into alternative medicine, then maybe seeing immunizations as homeopathy can help -- "like cures like." That's basically what immunizations are -- a little bit of the "disease" cures it. (By the way, I have worked in the alternative medicine field, but I still believe immunizations are valid and safe -- more survive than die with them.)

When there is something that can save your child's life, I think it irresponsible to ignore it. That's my opinion, however, I live in a community where there are quite a number of people who have not immunized their children, and some of these diseases are making a return -- I am glad my child will not be one of the ones to suffer through them.

Polio was not on the decline until the polio vaccine....that is when the decline began. Too many younger parents have not had the experience of seeing family members or friends crippled or die because of "simple" diseases that are rare to see nowadays. Unfortunately, the lack of exposure to so many thousands of people who had these diseases is a contributing factor to parents not immunizing now. If most people didn't immunize their kids, we'd have a huge crisis on our hands.

When I hear of people not immunizing their children, and being haughty about it, it is usually a younger parent who did not witness the awful effects of these diseases, and is partially protected because others around them are responsible enough to obtain the immunizations for their own children. It's not that their kids are any healthier, it's just that the other responsible people are unintentionally protecting their children.

If there are that many people who are truly against any of these kinds of medical advances, then it would be wise to create an intentional community of like-mind so that they can live peacefully without being exposed to barbarians such as we who do use this technology.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Well, in that case, mothering.com is calling my name where I can feel that people are willing to maybe look at other side of the story.

I feel like the previous post implied that I'm a young mother who doesn't know and didn't see what's REALLY going on. I came from Ukraine and from a very poor town, so I know what "vaccine-preventable" diseases look like.

To imply that vaccine is "like" an alternative medicine with a little disease is like: "are you kidding me?". A little bit of disease?
A little bit of abortion cells, a little bit of aluminium, a little bit of mercury, a little bit of growth bovine hormones etc...

I rest my case.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,393,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I believe if your doctor does the newer thinprep pap - you are tested for HPV. The old, regular pap does not. Ask your doctor which pap they use.
My nurse practitioner has used ThinPrep since its inception and it was developed for better detection of cervical cancers that were being missed due in part to poor slide quality. I, too, perform PAP tests using ThinPrep and it is not used to screen for HPV, unless I specifically ask it be done. Again, this topic was debated to death not that long ago and the same angst is beginning again.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 09-08-2007 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM

144 posts, read 827,511 times
Only when pigs fly and Hell freezes over.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM

982 posts, read 3,502,089 times
My oldest daughter will be 13 in November. I'm on the fence. Part of me wants her to be protected....but another part of me feels like taking her to get the vaccine is like encouraging her to have sex.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,962,876 times
There is no way I'm giving it to my daughter. First of all, it does not prevent against all strains of HPV which are at high risk for causing cancer/warts, so basically it is giving everyone a false sense of security. Second of all, I want to see what happens to the reproductive system of the girls who have the vax and then go on to have their own children a generation from now. There were medically proven "treatments" in the past which initially appeared OK but later were found to have horrible side effects (DES). I don't want to see a short-lived study of 1100 - how about thousands over the long term, then I may be convinced. Lastly, who spreads HPV - well, guys of course. Why don't we vax them?

Do any of you remember what happened with the Rotashield vaccine back in 1998-1999? It was pulled from the market, obviously not adequately studied.

I don't have confidence in the protective effects of vaccines anyway - I started doing research back after my first son was born, as vaccines do not seem to work for me. I had the series of three Hep B shots, then my titer showed me nonimmune, then I had another shot, but I'm still not immune. With my MMR, I had the recommended schedule as a child, but tested nonimmune after my first son was born. I then had another MMR. A few years later when I sought employment at a hospital, I got tested again - still not immune. I give up.

Since vaxes don't seem to have their desired effect on me and since my first son had a severe MMR reaction and is indeed on the autism spectrum, I am instead concentrating on bolstering our family's natural immunity with the use of the best diet we can eat, supplements if needed, natural medicine, exercise, using no antibacterial products in the home, extended breastfeeding, no early solids introduction in children - everything I can to promote health without relying upon vaxes and meds.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,496,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Just a note: I have never said that you are brainwashed by your doctor since this is the first time I ever spoke to you on line. Kindly, please don't put words in my mouth.
"But it's impossible for me to argue my point because this generation is paralyzed with fear and brainwashed by doctors."

I didn't put words in your mouth... you said it yourself.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,496,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
My 17-year-old (not yet sexually active) daughter just had her last of the three HPV shots. She did not have any side effects, and as a menopausal mom, I, too, know that immunizations have had many more good effects in the world, than negative.

If you're into alternative medicine, then maybe seeing immunizations as homeopathy can help -- "like cures like." That's basically what immunizations are -- a little bit of the "disease" cures it. (By the way, I have worked in the alternative medicine field, but I still believe immunizations are valid and safe -- more survive than die with them.)

When there is something that can save your child's life, I think it irresponsible to ignore it. That's my opinion, however, I live in a community where there are quite a number of people who have not immunized their children, and some of these diseases are making a return -- I am glad my child will not be one of the ones to suffer through them.

Polio was not on the decline until the polio vaccine....that is when the decline began. Too many younger parents have not had the experience of seeing family members or friends crippled or die because of "simple" diseases that are rare to see nowadays. Unfortunately, the lack of exposure to so many thousands of people who had these diseases is a contributing factor to parents not immunizing now. If most people didn't immunize their kids, we'd have a huge crisis on our hands.

When I hear of people not immunizing their children, and being haughty about it, it is usually a younger parent who did not witness the awful effects of these diseases, and is partially protected because others around them are responsible enough to obtain the immunizations for their own children. It's not that their kids are any healthier, it's just that the other responsible people are unintentionally protecting their children.

If there are that many people who are truly against any of these kinds of medical advances, then it would be wise to create an intentional community of like-mind so that they can live peacefully without being exposed to barbarians such as we who do use this technology.
Oh, your good Wisteria... we'll said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting