Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,380,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
check back a few months ago - long thread about this very topic. Oh, and if you're <26 y/o and sexually active, you need it as well! and if you're older, be sure to ask for HPV testing at your next PAP. It is NOT part of the screening.
I believe if your doctor does the newer thinprep pap - you are tested for HPV. The old, regular pap does not. Ask your doctor which pap they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,441,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I will get it for my daughters if it keeps them from dying from one form of cancer. I would never be able to live with myself if I could have done something to prevent them from getting cervical cancer and I passed on it because I was scared or I was against it for whatever reasons. It's kind of like the mothers who passed up standard innoculations only to have her kid contract meningitis years later (and lose 3 of four limbs) - she could have prevented it... but I guess had to prove a point with her kids life. It's sad.
mmm, unless you know that vaccines cause cancer too. And a host of other diseases. I wouldn't forgive myself for giving one and then see side effects that I could have easily avoided.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,488,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
mmm, unless you know that vaccines cause cancer too. And a host of other diseases. I wouldn't forgive myself for giving one and then see side effects that I could have easily avoided.
I guess the same thing can be said for the polio vaccine, right? Or the small pox vaccine... or hep A, B vaccine... or how about the measles/mumps? They COULD cause cancer (but you should really read up on how vaccines work before you state this)... so maybe you should refuse them on behalf of your child because... you never know.

We are fortunate enough that these vaccines exist as we no longer have to sit and watch our children become crippled or die from these once common diseases - they can be prevented. My grandmother walks with a limp from contracting polio and her sister died as a toddler from small pox - they lived in time where protection didn't exist. So, it amazes me that anyone would discount the importance of a vaccination especially after so many millions of people have died without them.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I guess the same thing can be said for the polio vaccine, right? Or the small pox vaccine... or hep A, B vaccine... or how about the measles/mumps? They COULD cause cancer (but you should really read up on how vaccines work before you state this)... so maybe you should refuse them on behalf of your child because... you never know.

We are fortunate enough that these vaccines exist as we no longer have to sit and watch our children become crippled or die from these once common diseases - they can be prevented. My grandmother walks with a limp from contracting polio and her sister died as a toddler from small pox - they lived in time where protection didn't exist. So, it amazes me that anyone would discount the importance of a vaccination especially after so many millions of people have died without them.
I would like to recommend you three books, because it seems like you only know one side of the story.

Vaccinations A Thoughtful Parents Guide by Aviva Jill Romm
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave

How to Have a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor by Mendelson.

Also an interesting article about HPV Vaccine.

Guard against gardasil: as Merck's "One Less" campaign floods the media, we ask: do we really know enough about the new HPV vaccine to mandate it for all preadolescent girls? Mothering - Find Articles (broken link)

And by the way, it is amazing how people think that if a person is vaccinated he is automatically immuned to a disease. For example DTP vaccine that is regularly given to babies - the Pertussis part is very ineffective.
Polio was on the decline way before vaccine was created.
Measles/mumps was never a DEADLY disease.
And with good nutrition and herbs many of these diseases are cureable.

But it's impossible for me to argue my point because this generation is paralyzed with fear and brainwashed by doctors.

Yes, we don't see many children crippled anymore, but we know what we do see more of? Autism, allergies, asthma etc... 10 years ago? 1 out of thousands diagnosed, now? 1 out of 150. People can deny all they want to link between vaccines and autism, but it's there.

Last edited by max's mama; 09-08-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I would like to recommend you three books, because it seems like you only know one side of the story.

Vaccinations A Thoughtful Parents Guide by Aviva Jill Romm
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave

How to Have a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor by Mendelson.

Also an interesting article about HPV Vaccine.

Guard against gardasil: as Merck's "One Less" campaign floods the media, we ask: do we really know enough about the new HPV vaccine to mandate it for all preadolescent girls? Mothering - Find Articles (broken link)

And by the way, it is amazing how people think that if a person is vaccinated he is automatically immuned to a disease. For example DTP vaccine that is regularly given to babies - the Pertussis part is very ineffective.
Polio was on the decline way before vaccine was created.
Measles/mumps was never a DEADLY disease.
And with good nutrition and herbs many of these diseases are cureable.

But it's impossible for me to argue my point because this generation is paralyzed with fear and brainwashed by doctors.

Yes, we don't see many children crippled anymore, but we know what we do see more of? Autism, allergies, asthma etc... 10 years ago? 1 out of thousands diagnosed, now? 1 out of 150. People can deny all they want to link between vaccines and autism, but it's there.
Thanks for the book suggestions but I think I'll continue to be brainwashed by my pediatrician and get my kids vaccinated because it's the right thing to do. There will always be people like you to try to make it seem as though polio/measles/mumps/small pox/etc is no big deal but to me... it IS a big deal.

My sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 32 and had a hysterectomy as a result - she might have been saved the agony of going through such an ordeal had a vaccination been available but it's too late for her... - but it's not too late for her kids (she has one daughter) or mine. My grandmother remembers all too well what it was like to live without some of these vaccinations... (she's constantly reminded of it as she is crippled) and for her, she's grateful for the fact that other families don't have to go through the same tragedies of losing children... and so am I. So we'll agree to disagree and I'll go get my girls vaccinated... so yours can live in a safer environment and mine will have extra protection.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the book suggestions but I think I'll continue to be brainwashed by my pediatrician and get my kids vaccinated because it's the right thing to do. There will always be people like you to try to make it seem as though polio/measles/mumps/small pox/etc is no big deal but to me... it IS a big deal.

My sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 32 and had a hysterectomy as a result - she might have been saved the agony of going through such an ordeal had a vaccination been available but it's too late for her... - but it's not too late for her kids (she has one daughter) or mine. My grandmother remembers all too well what it was like to live without some of these vaccinations... (she's constantly reminded of it as she is crippled) and for her, she's grateful for the fact that other families don't have to go through the same tragedies of losing children... and so am I. So we'll agree to disagree and I'll go get my girls vaccinated... so yours can live in a safer environment and mine will have extra protection.
Well, when you say it's the right thing to do, you must mean that it's the right thing to do FOR YOUR FAMILY. My good friend's daughter went into seizure as a side effect of a vaccine. Needless to say, she doesn't think it's the right thing to do for her. It seems to me that you had been unfortunate to witness people getting sick with "vaccine-preventable" diseases, I witness people being sick with side effects from vaccines. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter
I feel bad that such thing happened to your sister, but believe me, whether or not it could have been prevented by HPV is questionable at the moment.

And by the way, make me feel like that you are being "humanly responsible" to society and I'm not totally shows me your lack of research and "one-sided" opinion on this matter. Some mothers will argue that their non-vaccinated children are in danger next to vaccinated children.
So this I say: let's not, because I don't want to start that can of worms.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,380,403 times
I have been in the medical field for 10 years and have NEVER seen a serious reaction from any vaccine.

I have seen many families that have chosen not to vaccinate their children and their children have had allergies, asthma anyway. And yes, even one child that had NEVER had a vaccine that did have autism.
Everyone makes their own decisions when it comes to vaccinations. I understand that. That is our right living here in the great US of A! I respect your decisions.
I am very well informed and choose to get my kids vaccinated. With this particular vaccine, I have followed it since way before it was introduced to the public. I want my kids protected. I, too, have seen friends get a full hysterectomy by age 30 that would have been prevented with this vaccine.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I have been in the medical field for 10 years and have NEVER seen a serious reaction from any vaccine.

I have seen many families that have chosen not to vaccinate their children and their children have had allergies, asthma anyway. And yes, even one child that had NEVER had a vaccine that did have autism.
Everyone makes their own decisions when it comes to vaccinations. I understand that. That is our right living here in the great US of A! I respect your decisions.
I am very well informed and choose to get my kids vaccinated. With this particular vaccine, I have followed it since way before it was introduced to the public. I want my kids protected. I, too, have seen friends get a full hysterectomy by age 30 that would have been prevented with this vaccine.
Well you are right about that. Everyone makes their own decisions. It's funny, I'm not in medical field (but my Dear husband is) and I have SEEN serious reactions to vaccine. So I'm not sure if it's just some people chose NOT to see it and in denial, because they are everywhere.

Autism has a lot of reasons to happen, not just vaccinations, so DUH, of course there will be children with autism who never been vaccinated.

The fact that you have been in the medical field tells me nothing. Most people in medical field chose ignore the evidence for the "mighty buck".

I will end the discussion here, because I forgot how mainstream this site is.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Well, when you say it's the right thing to do, you must mean that it's the right thing to do FOR YOUR FAMILY. My good friend's daughter went into seizure as a side effect of a vaccine. Needless to say, she doesn't think it's the right thing to do for her. It seems to me that you had been unfortunate to witness people getting sick with "vaccine-preventable" diseases, I witness people being sick with side effects from vaccines. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter
I feel bad that such thing happened to your sister, but believe me, whether or not it could have been prevented by HPV is questionable at the moment.

And by the way, make me feel like that you are being "humanly responsible" to society and I'm not totally shows me your lack of research and "one-sided" opinion on this matter. Some mothers will argue that their non-vaccinated children are in danger next to vaccinated children.
So this I say: let's not, because I don't want to start that can of worms.
Of course it's the right thing to do for MY family. I'm not arrogant enough to tell other people what they do with their children is wrong or arrogant enough to call people "brainwashed" for those who think differently. When it comes to the safety of my children - I'm not going to take twinkle ding dong medicine into consideration - that's when my mind closes to alternative medicine.

Now, I'm not saying that vaccines have no risks... you are right about that. And I have heard that it's questionable whether or not innoculations are linked to Autism (so far, I've read that it's inconclusive). Being that I am not a mother of children who have had side effects from vaccinations... I may never see it from your perspective. But I know what happens without vaccs. and that's the only side that really matters to me - crippled Grandmother, dead great aunt... that's enough reasons for me to not ignore what vaccinations can do.

The HPV vaccination may not have saved my sister but it's POSSIBLE that it could have... if she would have waited 6 months longer she could have died from cervical cancer. I'd rather that she would of had her shot - even with the risk - and have a CHANCE to beat a virus than be consumed by this terrible disease. It's a real threat to women... maybe more real for some than others.

So with all due respect... although I respect your opinion - for me - my brainwashing doctor has more credibility.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:48 PM

677 posts, read 4,222,967 times
Quote:
Autism has a lot of reasons to happen, not just vaccinations, so DUH, of course there will be children with autism who never been vaccinated.
If my child can end up with autism anyway, why should I expose him to these other dangerous diseases? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have my child ALIVE and autistic than dead or crippled.

Quote:
Well you are right about that. Everyone makes their own decisions. It's funny, I'm not in medical field (but my Dear husband is)
Quote:
Most people in medical field chose ignore the evidence for the "mighty buck".
So, your husband choses to ignore evidence for the "mighty buck"? Making sweeping generalizations does not help your credibility. I'm sorry that you find this website too "mainstream" for your tastes. Perhaps you should stick to one whose members have views more in line with your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting