Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM

26 posts, read 87,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Both of my daughters have received this, and my pediatrician and I were in complete agreement that they would be the better for getting it.

I will also be talking to my children about sex, and that they should wait until marriage (I'm not stupid; the chances of that coming true are small, but not impossible!). I will be open about condoms, and to tell them, first and foremost, protect themselves!!

The better we inform our children, the better off they will be!

I couldn't of said it better myself!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I just found this thread today when I clicked on new posts. I work in a pediatricians office and I have worked for my local health dept in the immunization program. I have quoted a few posts I thought were important. I applaud Wisteria for all her good posts, gave her rep for one (couldn't do any more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
My one girlfriend decided not to start the normal vaccines at 2months old with her baby. But she is going to start them at 6 months instead. Her child will still be fully vaccinated by the time he goes to pre-school, and she feels more at ease with the whole process.
That is probably an OK approach if you live in a place where there is not a lot of pertussis (e.g. NOT Boulder Co. Colorado), and the child does not attend day care more than 20 hrs a week. Daycare kids are just exposed to more stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
What worries me is that it has not been researched enough.

Potentially prevent A type of cancer...... hmmmm sound IFFY to me.
If you had any inkling of the vaccine approval process, you would know it has been well researched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Thymerisol IS still used in vaccines! The only flu shot without the thymerisol is the vaccine for ages 3 and under.
Thimerosol has been removed from all routine childhood immunizations, not because of any research that it was harmful, but b/c parents were not accepting of immunizations with thimerosol in them. Some flu vaccine has thimerosol in it, but thimerosol-free vaccine is available for all ages.

Add: my feeling on the HPV vaccine is that girls should get it BEFORE they are at risk. We have given hundreds of doses in the office, and my own two girls have had it. I have not seen any reactions. The VARES reports referred to do not imply any causal relationship between the vaccine and the incident. When most are researched, there is no association with the vaccine.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
It has NOT been researched ENOUGH for me, or my Daughter.

Sorry thats how I feel and I guess there is a LOT of people who believe like me.

All these People reporting Problems must be stupid or telling Lies huh? Because we ALL know MERCK would NOT Lie to us .......rofl .

Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Sorry thats how I feel and I guess there is a LOT of people who believe like me.

All these People reporting Problems must be stupid or telling Lies huh? Because we ALL know MERCK would NOT Lie to us .......rofl .
That is a misinterpretation of what I said. We see lots of patients and get lots of calls about possible immunization "reactions" that have nothing to do with the immunizations at all. For example, rashes from vaccines that don't cause rashes. I am referring to people who bring in kids with a rash and they got shots anytime from one day ago to weeks ago who think it is caused by the IZs. Also, kids with fever, and the parents think it was caused by a vaccine that doesn't usually cause fever, e.g. polio. Many of these "reactions" have nothing to do with the IZ; they are coincidental, that is, happened at the same time. There is a large body of knowledge about which vaccines cause which side effects.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:

Having the population at mass take the vacine is like a method of validating their research.

But if they fail and cause damage the lawsuits would likely sink the company. We're not talking about a drug that's only used for a small percentage of the population. We're talking about every girl in the country. They couldn't be that stupid to put something on the market that could cause damage on that scale.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
The report of an adverse event to VAERS is not documentation that a vaccine caused the event

That is a direct quote from the VAERS data site.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Having the population at mass take the vacine is like a method of validating their research.

But if they fail and cause damage the lawsuits would likely sink the company. We're not talking about a drug that's only used for a small percentage of the population. We're talking about every girl in the country. They couldn't be that stupid to put something on the market that could cause damage on that scale.

Not only that but I would love to know when a major drug company actually LIED about a drug...Because side effects show up years later does not mean they lied about anything. All drugs and vaccines have a very meticulous research/testing proceedure that is overseen by the FDA/government and is ultimately approved by them.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
nope. I have a niece that I take care of and SHE WILL NOT be getting this vaccine or any other poison at this point.
My son has been vaccine-free since 15mo old. It's a controversial topic but he will not be getting any more vaccines at this point until he is 7. I will then get him Tetanus shot.

HPV vaccination plan should be halted, reviewed: researcher
I have to agree here and not to start everyone back and forth but there is so much controversy about vaccines, drugs, etc.. now and you know it takes the FDA a long time to approve a drug and only a short time to find out people are dying, having reactions, etc..
This became available when my daughter was 18, I asked her if she wanted it, she knew all about it, had researched it herself and she said no. She didn't want it because she heard a lot of bad stuff about it. I see where the thing is going - i think the intention is good but we have too many issues coming to light with things that have not been researched.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Have all the naysayers spent as much time researching the effects of HPV (especially the high-risk kinds linked to cervical cancer and the non-wart kinds with virtually NO symptoms)?

Read up at the links I have posted previously -- a sore arm or slight fever would be worth it in my humble opinion, even though chances of those side effects only pertain to a minority anyway....

Guess that is why we live in America..I hope you (people in general) at least give you child the opportunity to research HPV and all of its ramifications and let them decide whether or not to vaccinate.....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
First of all I did research BOTH with and without. Just because you get those Shoots does NOT mean you dont get it.

Of course Medical Companys lie.... if you think they dont, you are the NAIVE one. Look up some ..... I did

Some of you here are very rude and asume that just because we decided NOT to give the Shoot's we are non caring, or responsible Parents or feel the need to belittle us thinking you're so much smarter...... or better.
Those side effects are NOT Minor ( to me) ...... read up on the REAL side effects, some even resulted in Death! miss carriages, and many more. Those are NOT minor! And this was from a study in 07 ,,,,,,
As I said I dont think less of anyone , or think they are bad parents if they got the Shoots, I would like the same respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting