Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,283 times

Advertisements

I think the longterm effects most are referring to include death and Guillian Barre Syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,927,553 times
Yep, those are the risks I was referring to.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,563,324 times
Fortunately, my girls are very young so we can kind of sit back and see how this vaccine pans out...I don't judge people who don't vaccinate but I do think they are very misinformed and depending on herd immunity is putting your child at risk IMO. These diseases that once were dangerous and fatal are now erradicated because of nothing other then vaccinations. So I almost wonder if people want these diseases to resurface...because once that herd immunity effect wears off, your kids are going to get fatal diseases that were once gone from society...Makes no sense...

But whatever floats your boat...Its your kid.

On that note, this vaccine aims at 4 different strains of the virus. Those 4 strains are responsible for 70% of reported cervical cancer in this country and 90% of genital warts...At this point it is said that 50% of sexually active people in this country is infected with HPV. So 1 out of 2 girls have HPV... scary!

With that kind of information, I will definitly vax my girls. There are risks with each and every vaccine. Death being one of them...They are so rare...so rare.

I have about 10 years before I have to decide. So I will sit back and observe the safety and the effecacy for a bit. But if I had to decide today to do it, we would.

I also wanted to add...

That side effects come with everything! I had to sign a consent when I had a mole removed..and guess what was a risk? Death. Yep, I could have died while getting this mole carved out of my body...But I am glad I did because the pathology of the mole came back precancerous... So did I weigh the risk of death vs...the potential outcome if the mole stayed? Absolutely. My cancerous mole is gone and look, I am still here...

Last edited by *Danielle*; 02-21-2008 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM

151 posts, read 703,932 times
We were discussing this at my church (in the parking lot), and my question is why are girls and women always the host for such experimental drugs. Why are there no research/drugs to give to boys to prevent them giving STD's? When are those shots coming for 9-12 year old boys to prevent them spreading disease? I've come to understand that the earlier oral contraceptives from the early 70's may be linked to the thousands of breast cancers in my mothers generation, and for these reasons I am very cautious. This is a mega payoff for alot of people most likely at consequences we may not know of for years to come.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,563,324 times
They are going to vaccinate boys in 2009.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,374,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
They are going to vaccinate boys in 2009.
Really? Where did you hear that from? I think it would be the wise thing to do, as boys can get HPV that causes oral/throat cancers.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,953,604 times
Well, had my second round of biopsies on my cervix on Monday....should get the results back in a week to determine what is the next path of treatment.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,029,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Really? Where did you hear that from? I think it would be the wise thing to do, as boys can get HPV that causes oral/throat cancers.
HPV causing oral cancers in men; vaccine urged for boys - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,011,090 times
I had 2 seizures when I was under a year old, no cause ever found. Because of that I could never get a vaccine at a free clinic or when they gave them out at school. They feared I might have another seizure. I've never had another one, but to me if they wouldn't give me vaccines because of a fear of seizures why am I supposed to believe that they can't be caused by them? I don't have children, but before I give any daughter of mine Gardisil, I will have to see what the long term effects are.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,668,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Well, had my second round of biopsies on my cervix on Monday....should get the results back in a week to determine what is the next path of treatment.

Good luck... we'll be thinking of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting