Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I think this case is a little different then some of the other recent cases. This mother left her child in the car during the winter and summer. Her older daughter's pre-school not only spoke to her, but placed a 'reminder' in their parent newsletter about not leaving kids in the car.

This woman, an educator no less, made the same bad decision over and over. If you are too damn busy to have kids, then don't have them. If you can't pick them up and bring them inside with you, don't take them anywhere. I know first hand about having small kids in the winter, its a huge pain the butt to get them in and out of the car when its freezing. I have a handicap child. When she was younger, I had to carry her, and my younger child. Its hard work, but thats what I signed on for when I had my kids.

This lady remembered to get the donuts out of her vehicle. When she bought the donuts, where was the baby? Did she leave her in the vehicle while in the donut shop? People are too wrapped up in themselves these days.
Good post. I also have to wonder just how many close calls of parents forgetting babies in cars...discovering them themselves and not telling anyone.

Also, from the link I posted yesterday, some of these people were charged and some are not. Neglect is neglect. In Slaby's case, she obviously became accustomed to whipping in and out of her car (at her other child's daycare) that she basically conditioned herself to forget.

Here in Indianapolis, we have the case of the internet junkie who couldn't stay awake to care for her children. One got out and was found wandering the interstate wearing a diaper. Neglect is neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,383,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
Good post. I also have to wonder just how many close calls of parents forgetting babies in cars...discovering them themselves and not telling anyone.
That is a scary thought!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,707 times
all of you she was my princeable okay 2 years ago she is a very nice lady I know it is not excuseable but still it was an accident she feels bad you don't know how horrible she felt after that that kid was her life so I don't care what you say she should not go away yet I'm mad about howtiday she is on oprah trying to make money other than that she is a good person she is a little forgetfull but we all forget stuff I for one forgive her just let it go and if you read this brenda sorry bout the loss

Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I call the police every time I see kids in the car like that. Animals too. It is to hot, not to menchan the fact that someone could take them.

This is tragic but in the old days it wasn't a problem. My mom left me in the car at 4 yrs old in the shade windows down to run into the store. I also had my St Bernard protecting me from snatchers though.

Times sure have changed, but i dont doubt children died then we just didnt hear about it? Or perhaps they left the windows down.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Update III: WLWT-TV (Channel 5 in Cincinnati) has obtained a copy of the police report and it says that this wasn't the first time Brenda Slaby left her now dead 2 year-old in the car. (story link)

BATAVIA, Ohio -- A police report indicates that Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her 2-year-old daughter alone in a car on previous occasions prior to the girl's death.

News 5's Brian Hamrick said the Union Township police report on Cecelia Slaby's death said that Nesselroad-Slaby left the girl in a car on "numerous occasions", including at least once in the week prior to the girl's death.

Hamrick said that the report indicates that investigators talked to current and former workers and discovered that Nesselroad-Slaby left the girl in the car while she was at the Compass School in Mason.

Hamrick said that some of the reports were documented, while others were not.

Published by Nate Livingston nate@unitecincinnati.com at 2:51 PM
There's the proof. Not all dingbat parents who've left their kids in cars are sorry. That woman should be thrown in a zoo cage with starving lions.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,496,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Come on, people, this could happen to you! I'm talking about good, loving parents who get preoccupied and forget their children are in the car. This could easily happen when you have a routine which you deviate from. Can you imagine anything more horrible than having this happen to you? The mother does not need prison, she'll be in it for the rest of her life.
I really think this causes such strong reactions from people because they realize how close they may have come to experiencing the same horror themselves.
I am thinking that you are kidding when you say "they get preoccupied and FORGET thety have their children in the car?"
I am certain that it would take ALOT to FORGET that you have your child in the car with you, preoccupied or not....
I can only speak for myself here,but I am 100% certain that I have never come close to FORGETTING my child is in the car.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,356,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am thinking that you are kidding when you say "they get preoccupied and FORGET thety have their children in the car?"
I am certain that it would take ALOT to FORGET that you have your child in the car with you, preoccupied or not....
I can only speak for myself here,but I am 100% certain that I have never come close to FORGETTING my child is in the car.
I wish this would stop happening. Do we really need to have an advertising campaign to "peek at the seat" to make sure people don't forget their kids in the car? Honestly, if the bus driver has to check the bus, then maybe parents should get in the habit of glancing at their kids car seats every time they get out of the vehicle.

This seems to happen in the south a lot where the temps are higher. Perhaps the mothers down there need to start storing their purses in the car seat or in front of the car seat. That way, when they get out of the car, they have to get their purse which is right near the car seat and they wouldn't forget their kid. If that's what it's going to take, then so be it.

I just don't know. 30-something kids a year is just too many kids dying from people forgetting them in the car. it's just heartbreaking. For god's sake, people need to slow the hell down and focus on what they are doing, one thing at a time. Our minds are just racing, we're too busy thinking about everything else to focus on what we are doing right now.

Terribly sad.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,150,531 times
The closest I ever came to leaving my child in the car is one day being in a rush, I got out and closed the car door. The second my hand left the door (while it was still swinging closed), I realized my child was still in the backseat. So yes, I can understand a temporary brain freeze, but once you get in the store/building, shouldn't you realize your kid is still in the car?

That said, I remember being 6 or 7 and being left in the car with they keys, so if I got hot or cold, I could turn on the ignition myself. I also had enough sense to open the window. If we're talking about a baby or toddler, I'd inform someone if I saw them in the car on a hot day alone. Once we get to the 7-8 year range, I'd probably mind my own business, but hope for the best.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,506,277 times
they had this woman on Oprah yesterday that forgot her daughter in the car and went to work. it was so SAD and what happened to the baby was terrible. she knows she is the most hated mother in america--she hates herself enough for all of us.
when i hear these stories i think HOW??? i am the first to say there is just o way you can forget your child. but hearing her story---it makes some kid of sense of how something so terrible could happen.
i can only hope i dont ever do it myself.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,026,498 times
I’ll be the first to acknowledge that parenting does not come with a manual.

However,

I’m sorry but, how do you get that preoccupied with anything in life that you forget you have kids? When good loving parents have children, their lives revolve around their children. They are constantly trying to factor in how their children factor in to any and every decision they make. The mother has done this more than once, she should have been mentally “imprisoned” behind what could have happened the first time she did it!

Quote:
Come on, people, this could happen to you! I'm talking about good, loving parents who get preoccupied and forget their children are in the car. This could easily happen when you have a routine which you deviate from. Can you imagine anything more horrible than having this happen to you? The mother does not need prison, she'll be in it for the rest of her life.
Quote:
I really think this causes such strong reactions from people because they realize how close they may have come to experiencing the same horror themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting