Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,756,971 times

Advertisements

My grandmother grew up on a small farm. Her mother was a laundress and did washing and ironing six days a week. My grandmother's older sisters were largely responsible for taking care of her.

My grandfather was from the same rural area, although they did not live on a farm. Both his parents, my great-grandparents, worked in a store. My great-grandmother lost her mother when she was 12 or 13 and dropped out of school to take care of her father and brothers. My great-grandfather's mother was a midwife.

Staying home with the children was a luxury that only wealthier families could afford. Poor women have always worked. And poorer children always had chores to do and other children to look after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
First of all, your post is full of generalizations. Second of all, some of them aren't even accurate.
Enough said right there!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
But I grew up in a farm world and kids that helped as well as workers had long long long days during harvest and planting and short days during just normal business.
Sounds like you didn't have cows.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,983,488 times
Just because kids have different things now than they did back then doesn't make them less busy.
School from 7am-3pm
Sports from 330pm-530pm
Dinner 530-630
Homework 630-930
Shower and a little downtime 930-1030.
And then sleep from 1030 to 530.

At least those kids on the farm were in by sun down and eating dinner and then in bed.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,385,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like you didn't have cows.
Talk about living a scheduled life---being a dairy farmer. You can NEVER get away if you have dairy cattle.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Just because kids have different things now than they did back then doesn't make them less busy.
School from 7am-3pm
Sports from 330pm-530pm
Dinner 530-630
Homework 630-930
Shower and a little downtime 930-1030.
And then sleep from 1030 to 530.

At least those kids on the farm were in by sun down and eating dinner and then in bed.
Gross exaggeration.

Most kids do not go to school for 8 hrs a day. That is just a lie. Its funny how people say teachers only work part time but kids go to school full time. Anyway, the average day for STUDENTS is only 6.5 hours a day. That includes at least half an hour (and in my school an hour) for lunch, more times for study hall, etc.

Sports. Middle school, and elementary school kids are typically not in sports for 2 hours a day. Even in high school only 65% of kids play sports but of that 65% the majority only play one season. Additionally, FEW sports have everyday practice for 2 hours a day.

For a bit more reality. THE AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT DOES FOUR HOURS OF HOMEWORK A WEEK. Not the 15 you claim. Nice try.

So in reality, the average student actual has more like 5-6 hours of down time EACH DAY.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,385,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Gross exaggeration.

Most kids do not go to school for 8 hrs a day. That is just a lie. Its funny how people say teachers only work part time but kids go to school full time. Anyway, the average day for STUDENTS is only 6.5 hours a day. That includes at least half an hour (and in my school an hour) for lunch, more times for study hall, etc.

Sports. Middle school, and elementary school kids are typically not in sports for 2 hours a day. Even in high school only 65% of kids play sports but of that 65% the majority only play one season. Additionally, FEW sports have everyday practice for 2 hours a day.

For a bit more reality. THE AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT DOES FOUR HOURS OF HOMEWORK A WEEK. Not the 15 you claim. Nice try.

So in reality, the average student actual has more like 5-6 hours of down time EACH DAY.
Sorry but that schedule is almost identical to our kids' schedule. Kids may have 6.5 hours of classes but there is still time to get to/from school and just being IN school. Our kids are out the door at 6:45 am and get home at 2:40 PM if they don't have something going on after school, that's 8 hours just for school. During sports seasons, they get home at 6:00 PM. They eat dinner and have 2-4 hours of homework every night (high school juniors taking 3 and 4 AP classes respectively). This is the same schedule that almost every one of their friends have. Add in volunteer work(our kids teach religion classes on Wednesday nights at church-2 hours) or maybe a job and this IS what high school kids go through each day. We have 90% participation in our school in either sports or performing arts (theater, band, choir, dance). All of those things have after school practices. Our school parking lot is as full at 5:00 as it is at noon. Even in elementary school our kids didn't have 5 or 6 hours of downtime each day. They got home at 3:15 and were in bed at 8:00--that's less than 5 hours right there. They also had homework, not much but some, and were in various activities, piano lessons, Tae Kwon Do, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Gross exaggeration.

Did you know 82% of statistics are made up?
And IME I had about 1-2 hours of homework a night. I never spent less than an hour a night on homework.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sorry but that schedule is almost identical to our kids' schedule. Kids may have 6.5 hours of classes but there is still time to get to/from school and just being IN school. Our kids are out the door at 6:45 am and get home at 2:40 PM if they don't have something going on after school, that's 8 hours just for school. During sports seasons, they get home at 6:00 PM. They eat dinner and have 2-4 hours of homework every night (high school juniors taking 3 and 4 AP classes respectively). This is the same schedule that almost every one of their friends have. Add in volunteer work(our kids teach religion classes on Wednesday nights at church-2 hours) or maybe a job and this IS what high school kids go through each day. We have 90% participation in our school in either sports or performing arts (theater, band, choir, dance). All of those things have after school practices. Our school parking lot is as full at 5:00 as it is at noon. Even in elementary school our kids didn't have 5 or 6 hours of downtime each day. They got home at 3:15 and were in bed at 8:00--that's less than 5 hours right there. They also had homework, not much but some, and were in various activities, piano lessons, Tae Kwon Do, etc.
I am fairly certain I used the word average or median in my post. Your kids are not the average. Ok. What is your point?

Typical middle class kids play sports for one season, 100 years ago most kids worked full time or took care of the family farm for even longer hours.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Exactly, my brother and I were both out of the door by 7am, my mom took me first and I was to school by 7:10 and in class by 7:20 then didn't get out till almost 3pm, my brother was dropped off second by I believe 7:45 and wasn't out till a little after I was. Then I went straight to whatever sport I was in and my brother went to band. I was picked up first and him second and then we never went straight home since my mom always had some sort of errands to run. Then we went home and it was dinner and homework and he showered at night and me in the AM and after dinner it was more homework and showering and in bed. Due to homework, I got maybe 5 hours of sleep at night , I never was to bed before 12:30am and up by 5 or 6am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting