Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

The book always made me think it was about being wise to what your baby is trying to put over on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The book always made me think it was about being wise to what your baby is trying to put over on you.
Can you expand on this, please? Because I have NO idea of what you're trying to say. Sorry but the sentence is very unclear.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Can you expand on this, please? Because I have NO idea about what you're trying to say. Sorry but the sentence is very unclear.
I THINK that it means that parents should be wise to their baby's manipulative tricks. As in "I am wise to your scams".

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

Yes please elaborate. I do not know how a baby is trying to put over you. It is in my belief babies really do not know any better.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I THINK that it means that parents should be wise to their baby's manipulative tricks. As in "I am wise to your scams".

But how? That is what I do not get. A two and half year old yes I can see. Like Toddler X told me today he deserves to eat a Happy Meal because he has been on the potty all day. He has stomach flu btw so no happy meal for him but he thought because he was sitting on the potty and doing his business it deserved this massive reward. Then he told me I was not fair...

But a baby?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
But how? That is what I do not get. A two and half year old yes I can see. Like Toddler X told me today he deserves to eat a Happy Meal because he has been on the potty all day. He has stomach flu btw so no happy meal for him but he thought because he was sitting on the potty and doing his business it deserved this massive reward. Then he told me I was not fair...

But a baby?
I think a baby can sense cause and reaction. My daughter (4mo) knows if she whimpers in her bassinet I will pick her up and put her in bed with me. At least I THINK she does. But I dont think a baby can control their hunger. I mean they are growing sooo much how can a plan tell you when your child needs to eat.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:

But a baby?
I didn't say it was reasonable, I was just providing an explanation.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
It does sound dreadful but weirdly enough my SIL applies similar methods to her children. I do not know if she has read Ezzo or Babywise but now I wonder???

Her children both knew sign language by 10 months and have highchair manners. You never see them eat messy or throw a cheerio on the floor. Its really eerie. Now my nephew is turning 2 this year and she is on a mission to have him fully potty trained before his birthday which is only several weeks away.
Am I your SIL? I've never read the Ezzo book, but it sounds extreme. I fed my kids whenever they were hungry, but I did use some elements of the Ferber method when teaching them to fall asleep on their own, in their own cribs. We are not a co-sleeping family, nor did my kids ever use pacifiers.

I also did not make a separate meal for my toddlers (e.g. chicken nuggets). They ate what the family ate. They now have excellent eating and sleeping habits which is very obvious when they have sleepovers with their cousins who need a TV to fall asleep and specially prepared meals to eat (e.g. chicken nuggets).

I also taught my kids some sign language before they talked and potty trained them very early (I think it's easier if you start that early IMO). They were also very well-behaved in restaurants, airplanes, and had good table manners even as toddlers. They have always been very happy, well-adjusted kids and are now excellent students. Is all this that unusual? I thought we were the normal ones. Are my parenting techniques now antiquated?

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-13-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Can you expand on this, please? Because I have NO idea of what you're trying to say. Sorry but the sentence is very unclear.

The name of the book is something like On Being Babywise.

There is an expression I am wise to what you are up to that means you can't pull one over on me. Like someone is trying to get away with something and I am wise to it.

It always made me think that Ezzos thought that babies were trying to get away with something with all that eating and all that not sleeping.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I've never read the Ezzo book, but it sounds extreme. I fed my kids whenever they were hungry, but I did use some elements of the Ferber method when teaching them to fall asleep on their own, in their own cribs. We are not a co-sleeping family, nor did my kids ever use pacifiers.

I also did not make a separate meal for my toddlers (e.g. chicken nuggets). They ate what the family ate. They now have excellent eating and sleeping habits which is very obvious when they have sleepovers with their cousins who need a TV to fall asleep and specially prepared meals to eat (e.g. chicken nuggets).

I also taught my kids some sign language before they talked and potty trained them very early. They were also very well-behaved in restaurants, airplanes, and had good table manners even as toddlers. They have always been very happy, well-adjusted kids and are now excellent students. Is all this that unusual? I thought we were the normal ones. Are my parenting techniques now antiquated?
No you are not. My Sil doesn't live in Chicago and if she did she would have been forced to send me Chicago hot dogs via fedex for my current pregnancy!

She can be very extreme at times. I think its the expectation of wanting a child to learn all these things before they even get to their own milestones which is what makes me nervous. When I had my first one I was the same. I expected him to do this or that before three/six/twelve months but I pulled back and realized he is just a baby. I believe that children should not be pushed to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting