Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,533,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Because the question was asked, my kids are older-elementary age.
My kids use a phone if they need to contact their friends, it is just the cell phone variety....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,036,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They don't have their own computers...we all share one, and they each have their own user account on it. Their user accounts are set to turn off at 10 pm and not work again until 7am, so nobody can get up during the night and get online.
I have never heard of this.
Does this work as a function of your computer or do you have a program downloaded for this?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,011,030 times
Quote:
I have never heard of this.
Does this work as a function of your computer or do you have a program downloaded for this?
It's standard in Windows 7. Go to the control panel and select User Accounts, then click on Parental Controls. There are several options there, one of them gives you a grid of times so that you can block out times that you don't want your children using the computer. Of course, you have to have a password on your account and any other adult's account so they can't just log on as you and bypass the settings.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's standard in Windows 7. Go to the control panel and select User Accounts, then click on Parental Controls. There are several options there, one of them gives you a grid of times so that you can block out times that you don't want your children using the computer. Of course, you have to have a password on your account and any other adult's account so they can't just log on as you and bypass the settings.
Interesting and good to know; thanks.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,440,661 times
My son loves the computer and has since he was about two when for his birthday he was gifted with some Fisher Price keyboard toy. He is now 4 and uses the computer via Kidoz where all sites, videos, and games are kid safe, site is password blocked so he can not log out of it, can set ratings so only certain kids can view certain things or even block things altogether, get sent an email report of what he has been playing or doing on the site and he is able to send email to family members (which we have never used that portion)

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,643,269 times
Your children are going to have "shellshock" when they get out on their own or you cut the string. At the age of three, my 13 year old could type his name before he could write it. He was able to email his grandparents at the age of three (not a typo), yes three. He had his own, secure, parent monitored email account. He knew how to spell enough to email small messages and the more he emailed my parents, the more he learned how to spell. We were asked to enter him a year and a half early into Kindergarten. At the age of 8, he was contacted by Nintendo because he found a "cheat/glitch/flaw" in one of their (age appropriate games for him) games. He does not want to go into computers or the internet in college. He is in the seventh grade and already has two college scholarships and is taking the SAT's in two weeks. He wants to study Science (molecular and nuclear) and Engineering. If you monitor your child's internet access along with giving him breathing room, there should be no reason to fear the internet or technology. Keeping your child safe on the internet is the parents responsibility anyway.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Your children are going to have "shellshock" when they get out on their own or you cut the string. At the age of three, my 13 year old could type his name before he could write it. He was able to email his grandparents at the age of three (not a typo), yes three. He had his own, secure, parent monitored email account. He knew how to spell enough to email small messages and the more he emailed my parents, the more he learned how to spell. We were asked to enter him a year and a half early into Kindergarten. At the age of 8, he was contacted by Nintendo because he found a "cheat/glitch/flaw" in one of their (age appropriate games for him) games. He does not want to go into computers or the internet in college. He is in the seventh grade and already has two college scholarships and is taking the SAT's in two weeks. He wants to study Science (molecular and nuclear) and Engineering. If you monitor your child's internet access along with giving him breathing room, there should be no reason to fear the internet or technology. Keeping your child safe on the internet is the parents responsibility anyway.
Wow!
Do you really have the time for message boards when you should be out there shopping this
kid around to Harvard or Princeton, where he clearly belongs before his voice changes??

Aside from all the indulgent bragging,
you've merely made me even more thankful that we live the way we do.
My kids are perfectly aware of technology, thank you, and are doing quite well and will continue to do so, I have no doubt.

..despite the fact that they handwrote all their thank-you cards,
started kindergarten at the ripe ol' age of five,
were not immersed in Nintendo before they could even receive their 1st Holy Communion,
and may or may not want to be brain surgeons
(as clearly a career in Science!! is the cherry on top of a glorious life started out in front of a computer keyboard. )

Congrats to you and your little genius! Hooray and miniature mortarboards for all!!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,440,661 times
lol@Alltheusernamesaretaken

IMHO, NOTHING beats a handwritten note. The sad thing is, kids are all too far learning to depend on a computer to find spelling and grammar errors (and dont even get me started on the calculator for math tests and quizzes) and to use as a social means for communication. Too many kids these days have no idea how to interact with each other AWAY from the computer. Sure, I allow my child to use the computer at times, but he is NEVER allowed more than 30mins a day and ONLY a couple days a week. I want him to know how to use a computer and be familiar with it, all technology, but I don't want him to become dependent on it and not be able to function without it.

Thankful he would rather spend his time building cities and cars with Lego and making imaginary scenarios for his matchbox cars.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,617,933 times
Get off my lawn!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,643,269 times
Quote:
Wow!
Do you really have the time for message boards when you should be out there shopping this
kid around to Harvard or Princeton, where he clearly belongs before his voice changes??

Aside from all the indulgent bragging,
you've merely made me even more thankful that we live the way we do.
My kids are perfectly aware of technology, thank you, and are doing quite well and will continue to do so, I have no doubt.

..despite the fact that they handwrote all their thank-you cards,
started kindergarten at the ripe ol' age of five,
were not immersed in Nintendo before they could even receive their 1st Holy Communion,
and may or may not want to be brain surgeons
(as clearly a career in Science!! is the cherry on top of a glorious life started out in front of a computer keyboard. )

Congrats to you and your little genius! Hooray and miniature mortarboards for all!!
Not bragging just making a point that kids can "learn" from the internet and that parents do not need to be afraid of it. No, my kid is not a genius, just very "techy". All of my kids write (pen/pencil/paper) thank you's as well as letters but what's wrong with knowing and understanding technology. It just happens that one son out of my four learned to type before writing. Your comment on the immersion of Nintendo is exactly why I bring video games up. Just because a kid has or plays Nintendo or video games does not mean that he is out of touch with the world or decent values. I take offense when other parents look down on my "techy" kid like he's some sort of robot just because he can navigate or understand computers and the internet better than most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting