Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,031,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I think refusing things that are "in" such as the DS systems, wii games, computers,etc.. For your kids is just ridiculous and again as in another thread started yesterday, parents are just trying to prove a point or something, that they aren't going to give in to the latest "trends".
That makes it sound like I'm doing it for spite,
or like one of those people who spout about been green or a vegan or whatever
just to sound morally superior to others rather than to follow a lifestyle they feel comfortable with.

I'm not taking this tack for that reason; I'm taking it because there are not many good reasons to do otherwise, as I said.
Some reason, like technological exposure and basic skill,
but not to the extent that it is regular or expected for many people, from what I see.
(Not necessarily many people on this thread, but in general. Just to clarify.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,235 times
Default ?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Just because your children do not have access to Facebook, e-mail etc., does not mean they cannot be the target of online harassment or bullying, it just means they would not be aware of it themselves. Just a thought.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

To be bullied you kind have to be aware of it.

Last edited by JustJulia; 01-05-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: tried to fix quote

Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
It also talks about boys having a need for physical contact, such as the rough-and-tumble of a football game. So many physical games are replaced by "activities" on a screen. It's detrimental to development, attention span, and so on.

It really is a wonderful book and speaks to many of the points I bring up here.
This is a parenting issue. There are 24 hours in a day. There is time in a day to go to school, play physical games, watch tv, read and play video games. All in one day. Parents need to be parents and pay attention to their kids and what they are doing. Whether it is on a screen or in the backyard.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

To be bullied you kind have to be aware of it.
If 1000 kids on Facebook read disparaging remarks about someone, just because that someone may or may not have Facebook doesn't mean it's not going to affect them, or they are not going to be aware of it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,495,256 times
Quote:
That makes it sound like I'm doing it for spite,
or like one of those people who spout about been green or a vegan or whatever
just to sound morally superior to others rather than to follow a lifestyle they feel comfortable with.

I'm not taking this tack for that reason; I'm taking it because there are not many good reasons to do otherwise, as I said.
Some reason, like technological exposure and basic skill,
but not to the extent that it is regular or expected for many people, from what I see.
(Not necessarily many people on this thread, but in general. Just to clarify.)
I don't mean "you" specific, there just seems to be so much of this" my kids don't have this or that" or " I refuse to buy them this or that". I meant in general, I do not understand why people think this way.
At some point, the kids are going to have access to computers, to the video games or they are going to want this or that, as much as we, as their parents try to control it.

I would just not pay attention to those that "expect" your children to have email addresses of their own, you do what you are comfortable with as a family, but to not expose them to any of the things that are out there, in the end will hurt them.

I don't think any parent does anything to spite their children intentionally, I do think though that there are many out there who want to sound as their morals are more superior and that they are going to prove a point to other parents for some reason.
The problem with that is almost always, in the end, they end up looking like hypocrites (again, not anyone specific here, just generally speaking..).

Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,235 times
Default not what I thought you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If 1000 kids on Facebook read disparaging remarks about someone, just because that someone may or may not have Facebook doesn't mean it's not going to affect them, or they are not going to be aware of it.
I thought you said:

"Just because your children do not have access to Facebook, e-mail etc., does not mean they cannot be the target of online harassment or bullying, it just means they would not be aware of it themselves. Just a thought.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,031,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I don't mean "you" specific, there just seems to be so much of this" my kids don't have this or that" or " I refuse to buy them this or that". I meant in general, I do not understand why people think this way.
Oh sorry, I'd read your comment wrong, then.
My mistake.

Quote:
I don't think any parent does anything to spite their children intentionally, I do think though that there are many out there who want to sound as their morals are more superior and that they are going to prove a point to other parents for some reason.
I am reminded of the Gisele Bundchen quote "My son thinks broccoli is dessert!"

Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I thought you said:

"Just because your children do not have access to Facebook, e-mail etc., does not mean they cannot be the target of online harassment or bullying, it just means they would not be aware of it themselves. Just a thought.
Should have written they won't see it themselves. They will be aware of it soon enough.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,991,541 times
Quote:
Because the question was asked, my kids are older-elementary age.
Ok, well, we all hopefully try to do what we think is right for our own family and children. I personally found a big change come middle school. I do think the Facebook issue is a concern, however, I do not forbid my 15 year old from going on. All you can do is stay involved, talk to them, and check up on them when you feel necessary.
I agree that young kids do not need email addresses or Facebook. At least they didn't in my family. Someone else may feel differently though.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,897,622 times
My kids, ages 6 and 9, both have email addresses. They use email to communicate with their teachers occasionally, and more often to communicate with out-of-town relatives. My 9 year old has given her email address to her friends who say they use email, but none of them have ever emailed her.

I have their email accounts linked to mine, so that any email they receive comes to my inbox and I look over it first. Of course that will change when they get older.

My 6 year old plays games on Neopets. She used to play the Sesame Street games when she was younger.

They don't have their own computers...we all share one, and they each have their own user account on it. Their user accounts are set to turn off at 10 pm and not work again until 7am, so nobody can get up during the night and get online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting